The USA today and CBS mock drafts have | Syracusefan.com

The USA today and CBS mock drafts have

dasher

Living Legend
mali no where in the first round. I don't put much stock in this stuff until after the combines.

Do many of the top picks both from college and overseas still decide not to go through the combines? I know that many years the biggest names didn't even go. Has that changed?

Do many of the top picks both from college and overseas still decide not to go through the combines? I know that many years the biggest names didn't even go. Has that changed?
The top players over the past few years do attend but they only participate in stuff like the medical checkup and such. Chad Ford said so far 40 underclassmen, 22 seniors, and 1 international player was invited to the combine.

If you're a fringe prospect you have to play five on five. Kind of like Fight Club in that sense.

The top players over the past few years do attend but they only participate in stuff like the medical checkup and such. Chad Ford said so far 40 underclassmen, 22 seniors, and 1 international player was invited to the combine.
Only 1 international prospect? Do they just not invite the top int'l players knowing they aren't likely to come for a combine?

If you're a fringe prospect you have to play five on five. Kind of like Fight Club in that sense.
Bringing back the scrimmages for the combine last year was huge for our guy Rak Christmas. He dominated in those games and ended up boosting his stock up by 20 spots. Hopefully the same happens for G.

Only 1 international prospect? Do they just not invite the top int'l players knowing they aren't likely to come for a combine?
Most of the players that would likely get invites are still playing in the euroleagues. They actually have something called eurocamp, which usually takes place in June and is basically similar to the US combine. That's when most of the NBA team execs will catch up on all of the euro and international guys.

Most of the players that would likely get invites are still playing in the euroleagues. They actually have something called eurocamp, which usually takes place in June and is basically similar to the US combine. That's when most of the NBA team execs will catch up on all of the euro and international guys.

Now that we have Yurtseven on the radar I wonder what the rules would be with him, eurocamp, and NCAA eligibility in terms of him deciding not to enter the draft.

Now that we have Yurtseven on the radar I wonder what the rules would be with him, eurocamp, and NCAA eligibility in terms of him deciding not to enter the draft.

He'd have to wait a year I believe. He's still 17.

Seems to me if the NBA invites players to the combine, and any team that tells an underclassman that they are interested in drafting him or seeing him play in the D League till he develops, doesn't guarantee their contract - that they should foot the bill for that player to finish his college education later. They should fund a scholarship foundation for these kids. It might keep these teams more honest in their evaluations and in the actual drafts, give the scouts, NBA staffs more thought to the combine process by putting their money to help these kids they supposedly coveted to prepare for life beyond their NBA dreams.

Seems to me if the NBA invites players to the combine, and any team that tells an underclassman that they are interested in drafting him or seeing him play in the D League till he develops, doesn't guarantee their contract - that they should foot the bill for that player to finish his college education later. They should fund a scholarship foundation for these kids. It might keep these teams more honest in their evaluations and in the actual drafts, give the scouts, NBA staffs more thought to the combine process by putting their money to help these kids they supposedly coveted to prepare for life beyond their NBA dreams.

It probably wouldn't do anything to keep them honest. The cost of a college education is chump change to an NBA franchise. I doubt many of them would even want to go back to college.

It probably wouldn't do anything to keep them honest. The cost of a college education is chump change to an NBA franchise. I doubt many of them would even want to go back to college.

I bet a number of players would after those who have any overseas options, end. I know a number of SU players who have returned to get their degrees. Give players a 15 year window and I bet many would opt to finish up. Since it's chump change , they should have been doing it for decades then.

What a kid believes in important and unimportant,changes when they are 19, 20 to when they reach 35 and wondering how they will make a living for the next 30-35 years.

I bet a number of players would after those who have any overseas options, end. I know a number of SU players who have returned to get their degrees. Give then a 15 year window and I bet many would opt to finish up. Since it's chump change , they should have been doing it for decades then.

What a kid believes in important and unimportant,changes when they are 19, 20 to when they reach 35 and wondering how they make a living for the next 30-35 years.

Thats why that 2nd nba contract is so important, its great to get some money for the first three years, but what happens after that? That's why we won't know for a few years whether guys like Ennis, Grant, Cmc made the right decision.

Thats why that 2nd nba contract is so important, its great to get some money for the first three years, but what happens after that? That's why we won't know for a few years whether guys like Ennis, Grant, Cmc made the right decision.
We'll see about Ennis and CMac, but barring injury I'm willing to bet that Jerami Grant will get a real nice raise when that 2nd contract comes around. The losing has to suck for him obviously, but he couldn't have asked for a better situation when it comes to playing time, and being able to jump start his development quickly on an NBA court and not in the D-League.

We will never know if they made the "right" decision because we have no idea what would have happened if they returned to school

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom