There is hope next year. The sky is not falling... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

There is hope next year. The sky is not falling...

There is hope next year. Gmac wasnt great in the zone as a freshman, but he had Duany by his side so nobody really remembers. Girard does not have Kueth by his side but he will be better in the zone. He has that quarterback/leader mentality we need. Buddy needs to beef up and be hidden on the wing in the zone and split forward minutes with Q and Marek. Keep shooting bud. We will have 15 fouls to give at the center position. Can Goodine or Richmond be enough of a spark at the 2? Rotate in Howash and Buddy and there is your guard rotation. If Q and Goodine are ready to go next year, look out. Marek and Girard get All-ACC recognition. Enjoy the ACC tourney fam, and whatever happens after. Hopefully the arenas wont be empty
The cloud cover is thick. The sky is a dark slate color. The only way to reach the light is through the portal.

I'm not sure you really understood my post if you think it's absurd.

I acknowledged "better recruiting" by stating we can expect things to change when Dior arrives, but for next season the recruiting only gets "better" if the guys coming in perform higher than their rating. This isn't a hot take. It is what it is. If we get Benny and Mac in 2021 that's a big shot in the arm, but that's unknown for now.

Re: the right coaching hire. We have the coach. There's not a hire to be made. We're ride or die with JB.

That's why I've accepted that the odds are really likely that the season results we'll see the next two seasons are probably going to match the results this season. Unless something drastic and pretty much completely unforeseen as of right now happens, we're not going to see immediate changes on the two catalysts you mentioned - 'crootin and coachin'. We're not. So, the results aren't really changing either.

I think long-term our best case scenario is Dior is everything we hope both as a player and magnet for other talent, JB retires on a high note and leaves behind a healthy program, and we get a big time coach to come in and build the next era. But that's long-term. Short-term, we're going to be an OK program. That's about it.

I disagree, slightly. There are usually 2 paths to success in college basketball. Crazy talented guards (that typically go pro) or experienced guard play. Right now we are taking our lumps with 2 underclassmen guards that will be 4 year guys. We played a lot of close games this year. I could see an uptick in wins the next 2 years as they improve.

Currently without Hughes next season they really might finally get to a losing record. I wonder if JB thought coaching his son would end up like this?

I'm not sure you really understood my post if you think it's absurd.

I acknowledged "better recruiting" by stating we can expect things to change when Dior arrives, but for next season the recruiting only gets "better" if the guys coming in perform higher than their rating. This isn't a hot take. It is what it is. If we get Benny and Mac in 2021 that's a big shot in the arm, but that's unknown for now.

Re: the right coaching hire. We have the coach. There's not a hire to be made. We're ride or die with JB.

That's why I've accepted that the odds are really likely that the season results we'll see the next two seasons are probably going to match the results this season. Unless something drastic and pretty much completely unforeseen as of right now happens, we're not going to see immediate changes on the two catalysts you mentioned - 'crootin and coachin'. We're not. So, the results aren't really changing either.

I think long-term our best case scenario is Dior is everything we hope both as a player and magnet for other talent, JB retires on a high note and leaves behind a healthy program, and we get a big time coach to come in and build the next era. But that's long-term. Short-term, we're going to be an OK program. That's about it.
I think the minimum bar for “Just OK” is at least sneaking into the NCAA field. We are not OK.

I disagree, slightly. There are usually 2 paths to success in college basketball. Crazy talented guards (that typically go pro) or experienced guard play. Right now we are taking our lumps with 2 underclassmen guards that will be 4 year guys. We played a lot of close games this year. I could see an uptick in wins the next 2 years as they improve.

Might be true if it were Carey and Goodine you were referring to.

Here’s the trajectory for next year:

1. Everyone is hyper-bullish in the team in September/October, you see a lot of posters appalled we don’t appear on anyone’s top 25 lists.

2. We lose most of, if not all our high-profile Nov-Dec games, with maybe a plucky mid major at home thrown in for good measure. 0-20 here we come!

3. We go on a little win streak, maybe win 5 of 6 against the Pitt, ND and Wakes. Boeheims done it again!

4. We close it out playing pretty much 500 ball, maybe we beat Duke. We definitely lose to UNC, it’s what we do. We definitely lose to NC State, that’s also what we do.

5. Get into the tournament as a 8-10 seed. Everyone talks about how we’re the team NO ONE WANTS TO SEE. Done in the first round.

6. Go back to Step 1.

somebody give me one good reason buddy b played 45 ?

I can’t think of one good reason he played more than 30. At this point it is so short sighted of the coach I am not sure anyone can defend it. if we lose Carey ( most likely) and Goodine ( really hope not but who would blame him) then you lose your two best guard defenders, two best guard athletes and two ( arguably) highest potential guards from the roster. everyone knows Richmond will play no more than 5-10 minutes next year and we will be looking at another year of 40 minutes per game from Joe and Buddy.
Cuse!

1. Everyone is hyper-bullish in the team in September/October, you see a lot of posters appalled we don’t appear on anyone’s top 25 lists.

2. We lose most of, if not all our high-profile Nov-Dec games, with maybe a plucky mid major at home thrown in for good measure. 0-20 here we come!

3. We go on a little win streak, maybe win 5 of 6 against the Pitt, ND and Wakes. Boeheims done it again!

4. We close it out playing pretty much 500 ball, maybe we beat Duke. We definitely lose to UNC, it’s what we do. We definitely lose to NC State, that’s also what we do.

5. Get into the tournament as a 8-10 seed. Everyone talks about how we’re the team NO ONE WANTS TO SEE. Done in the first round.

6. Go back to Step 1.

I’d sign up for that now because I think that’s a long shot unless we land an impact transfer.

6. Go back to Step 1.
Damn it sucks but this is honestly our best case scenario.

JB has run his own son into the ground. He has no legs left from playing all these minutes this year. 2 airballs. Short on everything. Minutes caught up to some players.
Buddy's worst sequence yesterday was followed by quick shot of JB doing the "Encouragement Clap".
Expected Death Stare/Venom Strike, or turning to bench for sub.

Don't recall a season where, as SU fan, so confused regarding strategy/rotation/results.

There is hope next year. Gmac wasnt great in the zone as a freshman, but he had Duany by his side so nobody really remembers. Girard does not have Kueth by his side but he will be better in the zone. He has that quarterback/leader mentality we need. Buddy needs to beef up and be hidden on the wing in the zone and split forward minutes with Q and Marek. Keep shooting bud. We will have 15 fouls to give at the center position. Can Goodine or Richmond be enough of a spark at the 2? Rotate in Howash and Buddy and there is your guard rotation. If Q and Goodine are ready to go next year, look out. Marek and Girard get All-ACC recognition. Enjoy the ACC tourney fam, and whatever happens after. Hopefully the arenas wont be empty

We got off to our worst start since before a human touched the moon and we celebrated earlier in the week that we would not have a losing season.

The sky has fallen by Syracuse standards.

6. Go back to Step 1.
I would sign up for this for next season in a second.

Unpopular take, I'm sure, but I think next year would have been much of the same, even with Eli returning.

He's a great second option, but I don't think that a team that has Hughes as it's primary option is going anywhere. IMO, he's pretty one-dimensional, disappears too often and isn't particularly efficient.

Our zone doesn’t have the personnel to play it well and I don’t believe Jim Boeheim will adjust.

this is exactly why next year should have no expectations. There’s no reason to believe what we have and will have will be good enough to be better than this year simply because of the obvious weaknesses that will still be apparent.

Unpopular take, I'm sure, but I think next year would have been much of the same, even with Eli returning.

He's a great second option, but I don't think that a team that has Hughes as it's primary option is going anywhere. IMO, he's pretty one-dimensional, disappears too often and isn't particularly efficient.

Just wait and see what it will be like without him. It’s not going to be pretty.

Who is the bigger need for next year, Towns or Tape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom