This is kind of funny... | Syracusefan.com

This is kind of funny...

cto

Administrator
While in the Big East, we never had any trouble getting to Providence, Boston, Milwaukee, NYC, UConn, Philly or Chicago in mid-winter. Thank goodness we don't have to go to Georgia or the Carolinas in the next few days.

Good for the team, not so good for me. I'm supposed to take my first warm-weather vacation (Jamaica) in about a decade but unfortunately, it goes through Charlotte tomorrow. Wait-and-see mode.

Good for the team, not so good for me. I'm supposed to take my first warm-weather vacation (Jamaica) in about a decade but unfortunately, it goes through Charlotte tomorrow. Wait-and-see mode.
My son lives in Charlotte and messaged me that the city is freaking out. Milk, bread and eggs are gone. Best of luck in your travels.

While in the Big East, we never had any trouble getting to Providence, Boston, Milwaukee, NYC, UConn, Philly or Chicago in mid-winter. Thank goodness we don't have to go to Georgia or the Carolinas in the next few days.

Makes me appreciate the ability of Syracuse to make sure the city can keep running during the winters.

Nothing is funny on pitt game-day.
6ulgf.jpg

To be fair, while I never lived in the south (although I now reside a little ways further than the U.S. "south", I highly doubt I'll ever see snow here), there is a logical reason cities like Atlanta and Charlotte freak out over a couple inches of snow and black ice - they simply never invested in the resources needed.

If you're city has no snow plows or salt trucks, there is bound to be issues. It would be pretty hard to justify spending what probably amounts to millions of dollars of equipment that gets used 1-2 days a year, at most.

4 to 8 inches expected here in Charlotte and the city is literally freaking out. They don't handle snow well because their aren't many snow plows and really only the main streets get plowed and not entirely well. Thankfully, I didn't need to go the supermarket as I am fine, but they are worried about the freezing rain(hail) knocking down power lines.

Slightly OT:

I worked with an old-timer that was on the verge of retirement. He'd said his plans were to "move south" for his golden years. When I asked him how far south he planned on going, his response was:

"I plan to strap my snowblower to the roof of my car and drive south until someone asks me 'what in the hell is that thing on your roof'. That's when I know I'm in the right place."

My son lives in Charlotte and messaged me that the city is freaking out. Milk, bread and eggs are gone. Best of luck in your travels.

I'm down in the Spartanburg, SC area... the news last night showed a store where all of the toilet paper had been purchased. People must think that consuming too much milk, bread and eggs in a short period will cause some problems...

My first year out of college, I lived in Phoenix. Moved out there in the summer, when the weather is at its scorching hottest. It doesn't rain much in Phoenix that time of year, but every once in awhile they get a big storm [they call them the 'monsoons,' but they're really just thunderstorms].

The crazy thing about Phoenix is that they don't have any [or very little, anyway] drainage. No sewers, few culverts, etc. which means that when it rains there, huge sections of the city get flooded. Roads wash out as the rain has nowhere to go, people try driving through water that is too deep and the cars get swept away, they have to rescue people clinging to their car roofs with helicopters, etc.

I'd watch it on the news--where they pre-empt everything for emergency coverage all day long--and marvel at how the city would go into crisis mode over rain.

To be fair, while I never lived in the south (although I now reside a little ways further than the U.S. "south", I highly doubt I'll ever see snow here), there is a logical reason cities like Atlanta and Charlotte freak out over a couple inches of snow and black ice - they simply never invested in the resources needed.

If you're city has no snow plows or salt trucks, there is bound to be issues. It would be pretty hard to justify spending what probably amounts to millions of dollars of equipment that gets used 1-2 days a year, at most.

I moved from Syracuse to Raleigh in 1982 and learned very quickly that driving down here in the winter is much different. Most of the time the storms start with freezing rain or snow that melts when it hits the roads and then freezes. With the ice base and snow on top it makes driving difficult. They usually do a good job on the main roads and get to the secondary roads a day or two after a big storm but most back roads must wait on "mother nature" to melt the snow and ice. It will be back in the upper 40's on Friday so it should all be gone soon.

I'm down in the Spartanburg, SC area... the news last night showed a store where all of the toilet paper had been purchased. People must think that consuming too much milk, bread and eggs in a short period will cause some problems...

Baltimore always freaked out like that, too. I understand buying the bread, eggs, and milk, but for the life of me I could never understand the massive purchases of toilet paper there.

In the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, we're expecting about three inches of snow and then a quarter to a half inch of freezing rain over that. It's the ice part that's really freaking us out. Massive power outages are very possible. They're put down brine on the roads but not the streets. That only helps so much. I don't know about the Syracuse area but we don't have the resources here to clear every street in short order. Maybe you can drive on glaze ice but we can't. I'm not going to the Duke-UNC game tonight but those who do may face a very tough time getting home. I'm just hoping I've got power so I can watch the games tonight on TV.

BTW, since I mentioned the Duke-UNC game, the managers of those two teams play a game each year. See the video below showing what happened last night in that game. I'm calling a Flagrant 2. Your opinion?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/duke-unc-managers-game-brawl/

BTW, since I mentioned the Duke-UNC game, the managers of those two teams play a game each year. See the video below showing what happened last night in that game. I'm calling a Flagrant 2. Your opinion?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/duke-unc-managers-game-brawl

Wow that was nasty. Definitely the most serious flagrant foul. Pretty wimpy of the UNC player elbowing and taking down the little Duke kid whose head was level to his armpit. He felt his rebound was threatened by the munchkin? UNC should be embarrassed.

I just don't understand the run on groceries. Our home could be snowbound for a few weeks without running out of food.
It's why they make pantries, to store food.

RF2044 said:
My first year out of college, I lived in Phoenix. Moved out there in the summer, when the weather is at its scorching hottest. It doesn't rain much in Phoenix that time of year, but every once in awhile they get a big storm [they call them the 'monsoons,' but they're really just thunderstorms]. The crazy thing about Phoenix is that they don't have any [or very little, anyway] drainage. No sewers, few culverts, etc. which means that when it rains there, huge sections of the city get flooded. Roads wash out as the rain has nowhere to go, people try driving through water that is too deep and the cars get swept away, they have to rescue people clinging to their car roofs with helicopters, etc. I'd watch it on the news--where they pre-empt everything for emergency coverage all day long--and marvel at how the city would go into crisis mode over rain.
Where did u live Ryan? North Scottsdale? The central part of the city doesn't have that problem. The main issue is the ground gets so hard the water doesn't absorb and just sits or rolls away. Plus those are pretty good size storms, they scare the heck out of me

I just don't understand the run on groceries. Our home could be snowbound for a few weeks without running out of food.
It's why they make pantries, to store food.
Agree. I can understand batteries, milk (especially if you have children), and rock salt. And filling your car's tank with gasoline. But I have enough canned soups, pasta, crackers, cereal, coffee and wine to last a month.

if anything, we at least have found our new avatar champion.

classic

They're put down brine on the roads but not the streets. That only helps so much.
I'm not sure what this means. What is the distinction between roads and streets? Do roads=highways and streets=local roads?

Agree. I can understand batteries, milk (especially if you have children), and rock salt. And filling your car's tank with gasoline. But I have enough canned soups, pasta, crackers, cereal, coffee and wine to last a month.

I wish I had a wine cellar in my house too...next house.

Ugh - not looking good down here in NC.

I dunno CTO....I've heard stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom