This is kind of funny... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is kind of funny...

Agree. I can understand batteries, milk (especially if you have children), and rock salt. And filling your car's tank with gasoline. But I have enough canned soups, pasta, crackers, cereal, coffee and wine to last a month.
Just how big is that cellar of yours?!

In the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, we're expecting about three inches of snow and then a quarter to a half inch of freezing rain over that. It's the ice part that's really freaking us out. Massive power outages are very possible. They're put down brine on the roads but not the streets. That only helps so much. I don't know about the Syracuse area but we don't have the resources here to clear every street in short order. Maybe you can drive on glaze ice but we can't. I'm not going to the Duke-UNC game tonight but those who do may face a very tough time getting home. I'm just hoping I've got power so I can watch the games tonight on TV.

BTW, since I mentioned the Duke-UNC game, the managers of those two teams play a game each year. See the video below showing what happened last night in that game. I'm calling a Flagrant 2. Your opinion?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/duke-unc-managers-game-brawl/
Nobody can drive on ice - period. We already have 18 wheelers jackknifed and blocking main roads here in Pinehurst. Going to get interesting. At least we won't have black ice.

My son lives in Charlotte and messaged me that the city is freaking out. Milk, bread and eggs are gone. Best of luck in your travels.

People are idiots. Snow storms last for a day or two at worst down there. Most people do their grocery shopping once a week. Do you think a couple inches of snow is going to strand you for a week and a half?

In the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, we're expecting about three inches of snow and then a quarter to a half inch of freezing rain over that. It's the ice part that's really freaking us out. Massive power outages are very possible. They're put down brine on the roads but not the streets. That only helps so much. I don't know about the Syracuse area but we don't have the resources here to clear every street in short order. Maybe you can drive on glaze ice but we can't. I'm not going to the Duke-UNC game tonight but those who do may face a very tough time getting home. I'm just hoping I've got power so I can watch the games tonight on TV.

BTW, since I mentioned the Duke-UNC game, the managers of those two teams play a game each year. See the video below showing what happened last night in that game. I'm calling a Flagrant 2. Your opinion?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/duke-unc-managers-game-brawl/

Wow. That was a nasty elbow. He deserved a butt kicking.

People are idiots. Snow storms last for a day or two at worst down there. Most people do their grocery shopping once a week. Do you think a couple inches of snow is going to strand you for a week and a half?
Not true. We had an ice storm here in 1999 and power was out for many for weeks. People here remember that.

I just don't understand the rush to the grocery stores...the rush to beer & wine stores is understandable.
This time in ATL almost everyone stayed home, but the big problem is not going to be the roads but the loss of power due to the ice storm. Just hope my power doesn't go out while I'm watching the CUSE / Pitt game:eek:

Nobody can drive on ice - period. We already have 18 wheelers jackknifed and blocking main roads here in Pinehurst. Going to get interesting. At least we won't have black ice.
The secret is studded tires, plus practice. In Maine you still see a lot of vehicles with these. Used to be semis carried chains.
As a side note trail running is very popular in Ithaca, NY. and they practice year round. Spoke with a runner yesterday and asked him how they don't get killed this time of the year. Discovered that they go to Cornell's hockey rink and practice running on ice, he claims is is very doable when you know how.

The secret is studded tires, plus practice. In Maine you still see a lot of vehicles with these. Used to be semis carried chains.
As a side note trail running is very popular in Ithaca, NY. and they practice year round. Spoke with a runner yesterday and asked him how they don't get killed this time of the year. Discovered that they go to Cornell's hockey rink and practice running on ice, he claims is is very doable when you know how.
Studded tires and chains are illegal in edit some many states.

LOL global warming. The small boat harbors are frozen solid and for the first time one of the barge docks is blocked by ice.

This what I carry when ice is threatening.

Attachments

• Yaktrax.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 62

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/duke-unc-managers-game-brawl

Wow that was nasty. Definitely the most serious flagrant foul. Pretty wimpy of the UNC player elbowing and taking down the little Duke kid whose head was level to his armpit. He felt his rebound was threatened by the munchkin? UNC should be embarrassed.

DAMN! what a punk elbow.

Studded tires and chains are illegal in edit some many states.
How times change. When I was a student at SU, I had chains for my tires. Everyone seemed to have them then. It was a Thanksgiving ritual (much like Turkey) to put the chains on your car.

Not true. We had an ice storm here in 1999 and power was out for many for weeks. People here remember that.

i think his point is that you can still drive to a grocery store...

Im stuck walking right now (luckily I can walk to a Publix and restaurants), but will be able to drive tomorrow night.

Driving in snow is one thing... running on ice is another. This runner may need to think about getting studded running shoes or running in chains.

4 to 8 inches expected here in Charlotte and the city is literally freaking out. They don't handle snow well because their aren't many snow plows and really only the main streets get plowed and not entirely well. Thankfully, I didn't need to go the supermarket as I am fine, but they are worried about the freezing rain(hail) knocking down power lines.

6" of snow right now on the ground at my home in Weddington...and still coming down pretty good.

How times change. When I was a student at SU, I had chains for my tires. Everyone seemed to have them then. It was a Thanksgiving ritual (much like Turkey) to put the chains on your car.
I have studless snow tires. its like driving on a nerf ball. Squishy soft rubber impregnated with walnut shells, made by Toyo.

I moved from Syracuse to Raleigh in 1982 and learned very quickly that driving down here in the winter is much different. Most of the time the storms start with freezing rain or snow that melts when it hits the roads and then freezes. With the ice base and snow on top it makes driving difficult. They usually do a good job on the main roads and get to the secondary roads a day or two after a big storm but most back roads must wait on "mother nature" to melt the snow and ice. It will be back in the upper 40's on Friday so it should all be gone soon.

We do have freezing rain up here, too, you know. Just sayin'.

Picture from Charlotte mid afternoon. Has since gone over to freezing rain. View attachment 7809

Attachments

• snow in charlotte.jpg
    snow in charlotte.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 48
My son lives in Charlotte and messaged me that the city is freaking out. Milk, bread and eggs are gone. Best of luck in your travels.

but there's plenty of pulled pork so fear not !

LOL global warming. The small boat harbors are frozen solid and for the first time one of the barge docks is blocked by ice.

That's why they changed it from Global Warming" to "Climate Change"... Covers everything.

Good for the team, not so good for me. I'm supposed to take my first warm-weather vacation (Jamaica) in about a decade but unfortunately, it goes through Charlotte tomorrow. Wait-and-see mode.
Flight to Charlotte canceled at the last minute. Rebooked to a flight out of Syracuse last night with a plan to sleep overnight at the Charlotte airport (no hotel rooms available within an hour of the airport). Rented a car and drove to syracuse (took time to have lunch at Blue Tusk), flight canceled at the last minute, canceled the whole vacation, got a room for the night in Syracuse, rescheduled a whole new vacation at a different place in Jamaica starting Monday, rented a car and drove back to Rochester. Phew! At least I'll get to see the NCState game (on TV at Shooters in Fairport. Not real eager to drive back for the game to sit in seat number 33,000). Sunday night we drive to Buffalo where we're flying out Monday morning and hoping we actually get to Jamaica.

I hope Charlotte has recovered from the storm.

Flight to Charlotte canceled at the last minute. Rebooked to a flight out of Syracuse last night with a plan to sleep overnight at the Charlotte airport (no hotel rooms available within an hour of the airport). Rented a car and drove to syracuse (took time to have lunch at Blue Tusk), flight canceled at the last minute, canceled the whole vacation, got a room for the night in Syracuse, rescheduled a whole new vacation at a different place in Jamaica starting Monday, rented a car and drove back to Rochester. Phew! At least I'll get to see the NCState game (on TV at Shooters in Fairport. Not real eager to drive back for the game to sit in seat number 33,000). Sunday night we drive to Buffalo where we're flying out Monday morning and hoping we actually get to Jamaica.

I hope Charlotte has recovered from the storm.
Wow... Maybe you should consider a summer vacation. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom