This Paul George...wow | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

This Paul George...wow

george does a better job using his teammates as well as letting the game come to him. He is an elite defender

Using his teammates? He's not in that role! He IS one of the teammates. It's a balanced team, and he hasn't even been his teams best player in most of the playoff games.

Elite defenders don't screw up like he did in game 1. It's funny, once guys get reputations as "good" or "bad" defenders, it literally doesn't even matter what they do on that end of the floor anymore. Carmelo could play outstanding defense, and many wouldn't notice or care. George can have one of the worst defensive lapses of all time considering the circumstances, and he's "elite".

George has the tools to be an elite defender, and he performs at that level sometimes. That's basically how his whole game is. Looks elite a lot of times and can do it all, but his performance is not elite consistently yet. Too many missed shots, turnovers, disappears for stretches, lapses in concentration.

last time he was measured that i read he was 6'6.5
Well if you knock off an inch and a half, wouldn't that put George at 6'7.5? Because I got Melo at 6'8" and George at 6'9"

and is becoming a better offensive player every game it seems.

Well, considering he had games of 4-17, 6-19, and 7 turnovers in one game in the Knicks series...I'd hope he's playing better offensively now.

He is a good defender Hibbert laying in wait at the rim makes him great.

It looked to me in the NY-IND series that George had an inch on Melo. IMO, George is the better all-around player right now. He's exerting lots of energy on defense checking James and Wade and still playing great. His handle is that of a 2 guard and it's better and more fluid than Melo's. He dosn't need screens like Melo does over and over behind the 3pt line. Carmelo is an excellent scorer. George is better in other areas of the game. A no-brainer, really. I guess it's what you're looking for. More offense or a more versatile player.

easy fellas- im far from attacking melo- and i hear ya but its not going to change my opinion. as for his height- thats just something i recall reading and considering he is good at bodying up and guarding the entry pass vs altering shots and shutting down post players when they back him down, i tend to side with his true height being closer to 6'6 and 1/2 as i had read( dont have the link it was some time ago posted on here). he is quick off the ground and can be an elite rebounder at times. he struggled battling hibbert .. but who wouldnt.

George may not have shot well- or has he been perfect but he has made a lot of plays to get his team in a 1-1 tie in the ecf. I think you have to look past the stats sometimes and look at the little things as well that he does. but im not trying to convince you just giving my opinion .. an opinion your'e not going to change.. have a good night guys :)

Nobody cares about the exhibition season. If you guys did, you would have already christened Lebron, who's 2 MVPs short of the record. It's all about the regular season.

It looked to me in the NY-IND series that George had an inch on Melo. IMO, George is the better all-around player right now. He's exerting lots of energy on defense checking James and Wade and still playing great. His handle is that of a 2 guard and it's better and more fluid than Melo's. He dosn't need screens like Melo does over and over behind the 3pt line. Carmelo is an excellent scorer. George is better in other areas of the game. A no-brainer, really. I guess it's what you're looking for. More offense or a more versatile player.

I mean you can point out skills that George is better at...but Melo has a better low post game, better footwork down low, better mid range J, better off the dribble shooter, better step back, etc.

I thought Melo did a very nice job defensively on the bigger, stronger West in the Knicks series and have literally not seen or heard it mentioned once anywhere.

Melo is a better scorer and rebounder George is a better perimeter defender but without Hibbert Lebron would be destroying George in the post and beating off the bounce like the last play of game 1.

I mean you can point out skills that George is better at...but Melo has a better low post game, better footwork down low, better mid range J, better off the dribble shooter, better step back, etc.

I thought Melo did a very nice job defensively on the bigger, stronger West in the Knicks series and have literally not seen or heard it mentioned once anywhere.

Not disagreeing. You're right there. It's a matter of taste and combining other facets of the game, I suppose. Yeah, West checking Carmelo is a big advantage for Carmelo. Much quicker. Against George obviously that wasn't the case.

in fairness i would have liked to have seen what melo and the knicks could have done if tyson, melo, jr and novak weren't dealing with injuries- that and if jr wasnt ice cold while wide open..

Melo is 6'8 and besides LeBron, is the strongest (strength wise)small forward in the Ieague. He had a hell of a year and if NY did not have all the injuries - Melo, Smith, Amare, Chandler, Novak etc, they may very well have been the ones playing the Heat right now. Hopefully, next year they will be healthy in the playoffs. But that's a big if - it's highly questionable if Amare will ever play at a high level again. And if he can't, the Knicks ceiling is likely the 2nd round. I'm rooting for Indiana - would love to see the upset.

in fairness i would have liked to have seen what melo and the knicks could have done if tyson, melo, jr and novak weren't dealing with injuries- that and if jr wasnt ice cold while wide open..
There you go. Some would never say that, it would just be Melo's fault. you are a true cuse fan!

There you go. Some would never say that, it would just be Melo's fault. you are a true cuse fan!

C'mon man. Leave the 'Cuse out of it. That's part of the problem as this dumb sensitivity issue when anybody dares to critique or criticize Melo. His post is good and it's obviously the obvious. Nobody is blaming Melo. Not anybody on this board, at least.

C'mon man. Leave the 'Cuse out of it. That's part of the problem as this dumb sensitivity issue when anybody dares to critique or criticize Melo. His post is good and it's obviously the obvious. Nobody is blaming Melo. Not anybody on this board, at least.

Melo's a great player. But we are witnessing a coming out party, kinda like Wade in '06.

Haha!!! I love the part about George being a great defender, he is, but he also single handedly lost the game when he inexplicably overplayed Lebron in Game 1. He's better than Melo!? How exactly is he better than Melo? He averages about 17 per game and isn't exactly an assist machine, ohhh he uses his teammates better, gotcha. I would be interested to see what Melo could do with a supporting cast like Indiana, by this logic I guess Paul George is better than Durant since without Westbrook, KD looked pretty human in getting bounced by Memphis. Everybody on Indiana plays great defense, it's alot easier to play great defense when your team plays great team defense and you have Roy Hibbert behind you. Talk about getting caught up in the moment.. It doesn't make you trendy to make idiotic statements like "Paul George is better than Carmelo ever was", nobody thinks your cool for posting that as a Syracuse fan.

Paul George starts alongside George Hill, Lance Stephenson, David West and Roy Hibbert. Every player i just listed is better than anyone Melo plays alongside with the exception of Shumpert who I'd put on the same level as Stephenson right now. Hill/West/Hibbert or Felton/JR/Chandler? ...if you pick the 2nd choice, punch yourself in the face.

Oh, and lets not mention the fact that Melo just had an MRI revealing he was playing with a shoulder tear..

The gap between Lebron James and the second best player is larger than the gap Michael Jordan had over the NBA from 1991-1998. I am not saying Lebron is better, but Jordan didn't do as much as Lebron can do on the court. Paul George is BY FAR the most underrated player in the NBA and easily top 3 overall IMO. This Pacers team can beat Miami because Miami's strength Chamlers/Cole-Wade-Lebron-Battier/Allen-Bosh/Anderson lineups get exploited because the Pacers have multiple offensive threats down on the block and the Allen/Battier player can't guard David West.

As long as Paul George plays at the level he is which is a poor poor man's Lebron James then Indiana has a great chance. Stevensen-Hill need to play well so George, West, Hibbert can take advantage or their matchups. This series is going to go 7 games unless Indiana wins all 3 its home games which I doubt because Lebron could go 2012 Boston Game 6 at anytime. Lebron's Game 6 at Boston last year was the best NBA performance since Magic subbing for Kareem in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, but because Lebron has a lot of haters because of the The Decision he doesn't get the credit for that performance. If West continues dominating Allen/Battier Indiana will win IMO, and it wouldn't shock me if Miami played Haslem/Anderson on the floor with Allen/Battier, Wade, Bosh, Lebron and Lebron guards the Indiana PG to make this work and Lebron takes over more on offense to negate having not having a natural PG without Chamlers or Cole.

Haha!!! I love the part about George being a great defender, he is, but he also single handedly lost the game when he inexplicably overplayed Lebron in Game 1. He's better than Melo!? How exactly is he better than Melo? He averages about 17 per game and isn't exactly an assist machine, ohhh he uses his teammates better, gotcha. I would be interested to see what Melo could do with a supporting cast like Indiana, by this logic I guess Paul George is better than Durant since without Westbrook, KD looked pretty human in getting bounced by Memphis. Everybody on Indiana plays great defense, it's alot easier to play great defense when your team plays great team defense and you have Roy Hibbert behind you. Talk about getting caught up in the moment.. It doesn't make you trendy to make idiotic statements like "Paul George is better than Carmelo ever was", nobody thinks your cool for posting that as a Syracuse fan.

Paul George starts alongside George Hill, Lance Stephenson, David West and Roy Hibbert. Every player i just listed is better than anyone Melo plays alongside with the exception of Shumpert who I'd put on the same level as Stephenson right now. Hill/West/Hibbert or Felton/JR/Chandler? ...if you pick the 2nd choice, punch yourself in the face.

Oh, and lets not mention the fact that Melo just had an MRI revealing he was playing with a shoulder tear..
Listen I love Melo, but Paul George is a better player. I have NEVER seen Carmelo Anthony drive by Lebron James score while getting fouled like George has done multiple times this season. Indiana's supporting cast is superior to New York's, but Carmelo Anthony is this generation's Bernard King. Which he is the best pound for pound natural scorer, but he isn't a great defender. Paul George made 2nd team All-NBA defense. George isn't in Tony Allen, Lebron James lock down territory, but is a good defender. Having Melo as a top 10 NBA player isn't unreasonable which is exactly what he is. A top 10 player not a top 5, I would argue that if Paul George wins an NBA title he is better than Durant who couldn't carry his team past Memphis I think Paul George with that Thunder crews sans Westbrook wins more than 1 game against Memphis.

The gap between Lebron James and the second best player is larger than the gap Michael Jordan had over the NBA from 1991-1998. I am not saying Lebron is better, but Jordan didn't do as much as Lebron can do on the court. Paul George is BY FAR the most underrated player in the NBA and easily top 3 overall IMO. This Pacers team can beat Miami because Miami's strength Chamlers/Cole-Wade-Lebron-Battier/Allen-Bosh/Anderson lineups get exploited because the Pacers have multiple offensive threats down on the block and the Allen/Battier player can't guard David West.

As long as Paul George plays at the level he is which is a poor poor man's Lebron James then Indiana has a great chance. Stevensen-Hill need to play well so George, West, Hibbert can take advantage or their matchups. This series is going to go 7 games unless Indiana wins all 3 its home games which I doubt because Lebron could go 2012 Boston Game 6 at anytime. Lebron's Game 6 at Boston last year was the best NBA performance since Magic subbing for Kareem in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, but because Lebron has a lot of haters because of the The Decision he doesn't get the credit for that performance. If West continues dominating Allen/Battier Indiana will win IMO, and it wouldn't shock me if Miami played Haslem/Anderson on the floor with Allen/Battier, Wade, Bosh, Lebron and Lebron guards the Indiana PG to make this work and Lebron takes over more on offense to negate having not having a natural PG without Chamlers or Cole.

Jordan didnt do as much as Lebron can do on the court? What? What exactly didnt Jordan do that Lebron does?

Jordan once averaged 33 pts., 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals and 54% shooting, while being 1st team all defense.

He was the best offensive and defensive player on the court every single night for a good stretch. Memories really do fade, been seeing more and more of this kind of talk and it's just not true.

And I really like Paul George, but now I'm almost hoping he puts on one of his uninspired, sleepyhead NyQuil performances soon just so some of you guys will calm down on him!

sometimes I think melo could team up with an in their primes magic, wilt, mj, and one of the Monstars, and his supporting cast still wouldn't be good enough for some.

sometimes I think melo could team up with an in their primes magic, wilt, mj, and one of the Monstars, and his supporting cast still wouldn't be good enough for some.

Why? On the whole he really hasn't had particularly good supporting casts. The only people who even dispute that are those who seem to have a bone to pick with him,which oddly contains a few Cuse fans on here. just trying to not be included with the extreme Melo homers, I guess, so they go too far the other way?

He's certainly never had a championship level cast.

David West averaged 3 ppg fewer than his average and shot 4% lower than his average against the Knicks. My eyes saw an undersized forward with a torn labrum in his shoulder put on an extremely gritty and effective defensive performance.

But that can't be true. He's lazy on defense and selfish, and is only good at scoring. That's what everybody says anyways, so I'll just assume its true and repeat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom