This program needs to wake up. Quickly. | Syracusefan.com

This program needs to wake up. Quickly.

Rocco

Watching you.
Not since the GRob days have I felt this disgusted with the state of our program. I cannot believe I am actually saying that as I am an orange optimist through thick and thin and really thought we would continue making strides this year. Huge fan of Shafer and many of his coaches, but maybe it is time for 3-4 offseason changes. The whole family coaching tree thing is good and grand, but isn't resulting in on-the-field improvements. The only reason why you're getting a paycheck at SU is to win games and have our football players carry themselves in a way that would make alums proud. If I see one more over-hyped, obnoxious celebration from an SU player once the game is out of reach, I'm going to snap and scissorkick a Rutgers fan. It truly is a laughingstock out there. McD is gone and good luck to him. He was way over his head to begin with and it's come to an unfortunate ending this year.

We can move the ball, sometimes, between the 20's and then our OL starts to look like they're dancing on hot rocks once we get into the redzone. False starts, chop blocks, holding calls, etc. Yellow laundry everywhere. Looks like Big Bird got hit by a GD bus on the field. The overall failure of communication lines amongst the staff and the players is horrendous. I honestly think we're confused on offense 30-40% of the time and all of the time on STs. Any of these issues fall directly onto the coaching staff. It is their job to make sure these kids are prepared for the game, and must make any necessary changes to ensure that happens. Truly starting to question what the day-to-day meetings are like. A zone-read option with a sweep toss from our 1 with our slowest RB getting the pitch?! Even McD couldn't talk himself out of that one. We need someone who can put our players in positions to win and while the play-calling hasn't been atrocious all of the time, there are major head-scratching calls that have happened. They've (or he), has done a terrible job game-planning against the opponent at hand. Every D has its own weakness and it's up to our offensive playcallers to exploit said weaknesses. And I really don't care that we can gain a bunch of yards when we can't score points. That's like a golfer who can drive it 300 yards, but can't break 100.

The incessant subbing of players on both sides of the ball is simply ridiculous. It looks like a zoo out there. Figure out what works and stick with it. Watching WW and Ryan Sloan inhale pieces of turf rubber clamoring for air once they sprinted in for a play, just to be subbed out a play or two later is insane. I'm not talking about situational subbing either. There were a few times on Fri night that guys were pointing at each other back and forth like Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan from Night at the Roxbury. "You, me, you, me..." Complete clusterfluck. Maybe cto can round up Jack Welch to come in and organize the show.

Going with a 4 headed RB monster defies my offensive thoughts and does not allow any of them to get into a rhythm, let alone get a feel with their OL and blockers. AAM, PTG, GMII and Philips all run differently, yet our OL is constantly having to adapt to their momentum blocks to take care of each of them. I would go with AAM 70% of the time the remainder of the year and bring in Philips or PTG on long downs. Just my thoughts.

I feel bad for Hunt, I really do; however, this may be a blessing in disguise. The kid really hasn't improved, and if anything, has regressed since last year throwing the ball. What type of QB is the answer in this system? At this point, beats me. You'd have to start with someone who has running ability, but one who can make the throws we need. We don't have a guy that can do both, yet at least. Wilson has the best arm, Long is the most mobile and Kimble is just holding the clipboard (still shocked about him... thought he would've been better). My gut says to go with Long because of his scrambling and adaptability, but Wilson can spin it and will get better with more snaps IMO. Neither guy is ideal, obviously, but we don't have a choice but to find out.

The student section is a disappointment. I realize that noone wants to watch a dismal product, but we aren't 0-10. This was a 2-2 team that could've had a chance to beat Maryland and ND if it weren't for our offensive incompetencies. It was a Friday night game against Louisville. I just don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up. I will still go to every game and root like a crazy bastard, but color me baffled at this point. There are so many other things to talk about, but this is what came to my mind while typing this.

Disgusted I feel this way, but I've had a bad feeling since Maryland and it has only gotten worse.

Now with that being said, LGO.

"False starts, chop blocks, holding calls, etc. Yellow laundry everywhere. Looks like Big Bird got hit by a GD bus on the field." - Best one-liner on the board in a while. Haha this got a literal out loud laugh from me. Classic. Well done!

Not since the GRob days have I felt this disgusted with the state of our program. I cannot believe I am actually saying that as I am an orange optimist through thick and thin and really thought we would continue making strides this year. Huge fan of Shafer and many of his coaches, but maybe it is time for 3-4 offseason changes. The whole family coaching tree thing is good and grand, but isn't resulting in on-the-field improvements. The only reason why you're getting a paycheck at SU is to win games and have our football players carry themselves in a way that would make alums proud. If I see one more over-hyped, obnoxious celebration from an SU player once the game is out of reach, I'm going to snap and scissorkick a Rutgers fan. It truly is a laughingstock out there. McD is gone and good luck to him. He was way over his head to begin with and it's come to an unfortunate ending this year.

We can move the ball, sometimes, between the 20's and then our OL starts to look like they're dancing on hot rocks once we get into the redzone. False starts, chop blocks, holding calls, etc. Yellow laundry everywhere. Looks like Big Bird got hit by a GD bus on the field. The overall failure of communication lines amongst the staff and the players is horrendous. I honestly think we're confused on offense 30-40% of the time and all of the time on STs. Any of these issues fall directly onto the coaching staff. It is their job to make sure these kids are prepared for the game, and must make any necessary changes to ensure that happens. Truly starting to question what the day-to-day meetings are like. A zone-read option with a sweep toss from our 1 with our slowest RB getting the pitch?! Even McD couldn't talk himself out of that one. We need someone who can put our players in positions to win and while the play-calling hasn't been atrocious all of the time, there are major head-scratching calls that have happened. They've (or he), has done a terrible job game-planning against the opponent at hand. Every D has its own weakness and it's up to our offensive playcallers to exploit said weaknesses. And I really don't care that we can gain a bunch of yards when we can't score points. That's like a golfer who can drive it 300 yards, but can't break 100.

The incessant subbing of players on both sides of the ball is simply ridiculous. It looks like a zoo out there. Figure out what works and stick with it. Watching WW and Ryan Sloan inhale pieces of turf rubber clamoring for air once they sprinted in for a play, just to be subbed out a play or two later is insane. I'm not talking about situational subbing either. There were a few times on Fri night that guys were pointing at each other back and forth like Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan from Night at the Roxbury. "You, me, you, me..." Complete clusterfluck. Maybe cto can round up Jack Welch to come in and organize the show.

Going with a 4 headed RB monster defies my offensive thoughts and does not allow any of them to get into a rhythm, let alone get a feel with their OL and blockers. AAM, PTG, GMII and Philips all run differently, yet our OL is constantly having to adapt to their momentum blocks to take care of each of them. I would go with AAM 70% of the time the remainder of the year and bring in Philips or PTG on long downs. Just my thoughts.

I feel bad for Hunt, I really do; however, this may be a blessing in disguise. The kid really hasn't improved, and if anything, has regressed since last year throwing the ball. What type of QB is the answer in this system? At this point, beats me. You'd have to start with someone who has running ability, but one who can make the throws we need. We don't have a guy that can do both, yet at least. Wilson has the best arm, Long is the most mobile and Kimble is just holding the clipboard (still shocked about him... thought he would've been better). My gut says to go with Long because of his scrambling and adaptability, but Wilson can spin it and will get better with more snaps IMO. Neither guy is ideal, obviously, but we don't have a choice but to find out.

The student section is a disappointment. I realize that noone wants to watch a dismal product, but we aren't 0-10. This was a 2-2 team that could've had a chance to beat Maryland and ND if it weren't for our offensive incompetencies. It was a Friday night game against Louisville. I just don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up. I will still go to every game and root like a crazy , but color me baffled at this point. There are so many other things to talk about, but this is what came to my mind while typing this.

Disgusted I feel this way, but I've had a bad feeling since Maryland and it has only gotten worse.

You left out the uniforms in your dumping on everything that makes up the team. Syracuse fans are the best. Why do you bother.

You left out the uniforms in your dumping on everything that makes up the team. Syracuse fans are the best. Why do you bother.
dude Roccos a long timer and as loyal and positive a fan as there is. Look back at the history and you'll see what I mean. This has reached a crisis point with the point of no return too close which is why so many are going nuts. That said there's something by injury and proactive movement something is actually being done about it which is encouraging to say the least. It may be a mirage of hope and there may not really be any light at tunnels end for long term success (guess we'll find out over time), but at least somethings being done to avoid the definition of insanity.

If not for being able to vent on here our heads might very well explode! :p

I think out of everyone, I feel the worst for the Michigan State players. Did you see that student section? They were playing Nebraska in an 8 pm ABC game, for the love of Pete!

I was with Shafer until his ISIS press conference. You can never say that stuff when your making 1.8 million dollars coaching college football. I would be okay if I saw improvement on the field week to week. However, we still have the same issues and it's frustrating to see. Good post Rocco it is fair and appropriate. Shafer canning McDonald wins him time assuming he gets a good coordinator into the program next year. McF***it did bring in him some talent but nothing worth keeping him in the OCjob. Legit criticism is always fair this board should never be an echo chamber.

You should probably know who people are before suggesting what type of "fan" someone is. Some people having been taking sh!ts at the dome longer than you've been watching games on the Tele.

You should probably know who people are before suggesting what type of "fan" someone is. Some people having been taking sh!ts at the dome longer than you've been watching games on the Tele.
What ever you say. Do you think it's easy to put a program back on track ? Do you think it was easy for Scott to call a guy into his office , who he has worked with and known for a long time and take his position away from him ? What do you want hari kari. You people are all so spoiled by SU basketball that you forgot what being a fan is all about , and it's not wins or losses.

What ever you say. Do you think it's easy to put a program back on track ? Do you think it was easy for Scott to call a guy into his office , who he has worked with and known for a long time and take his position away from him ? What do you want hari kari. You people are all so spoiled by SU basketball that you forgot what being a fan is all about , and it's not wins or losses.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Do me a favor btw, find a post of mine on the BB side. I'll be waiting.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up. I will still go to every game and root like a crazy , but color me baffled at this point. There are so many other things to talk about, but this is what came to my mind while typing this.

Lots of thought went into that "rant". Count me in the group that gives it a thumbs up.

Too busy, nor rhyme or reason.

Are you kidding me? Not sure you've read any of my posts over the last 5 years or so, but I am an eternal optimist of my beloved Syracuse Orange football squad.

It's time to the smell the roses. Things are in rough shape right now and changes needed to be made.

I haven't posted "rants" ever on this board except for the last 3 games, which have been full-blown disasters.

Get a clue man. This is isn't Syracuse.com, nor will it ever be.

Are you kidding me? Not sure you've read any of my posts over the last 5 years or so, but I am an eternal optimist of my beloved Syracuse Orange football squad.

It's time to the smell the roses. Things are in rough shape right now and changes needed to be made.

I haven't posted "rants" ever on this board except for the last 3 games, which have been full-blown disasters.

Get a clue man. This is isn't Syracuse.com, nor will it ever be.
Your "rant" would fit in on Syracuse.com. I only try to support the players and coaches. We went to and won a bowl last year. We have played some tough teams and not executed well and sit at 2-3. This deserves a lynch mob ?

Last edited:

I'll help Rocco out.

The uniforms are ugly, ridiculous and should be replaced immediately.

(By the way, on my way to the Eagles game yesterday with my girlfriend - I was wearing an SU shirt - an Eagles fan stopped us and asked, completely unsolicited "Hey, you're a Syracuse guy? Did you see those awful uniforms they wore against Notre Dame last week? What are they doing up there?")

Agreed. I'm still tremendously concerned about this staff, even after the moves today.

Disgusted I feel this way, but I've had a bad feeling since Maryland and it has only gotten worse. Now with that being said, LGO.
I've avoided this board since the Maryland game. The hype was through the roof, and losing that game the way we did hurt more than just about anything else I've ever experienced as a sports fan. (Note: I was a year old in 1987). Our deficiencies have been exposed by everyone (CMU aside), and the offensive staff has done nothing to adjust. We haven't been going back to what works, there's no rhythm, no communication, no sense of wonder or confidence.

I don't want to be a fair-weather fan. The obvious flaws and the lack of solutions just hurt too much.

Your "rant" would fit in on Syracuse.com. I only try to support the players and coaches. We went to and won a bowl last year. We have played some tough teams and not executed well and sit at 2-3. This deserves a lynch mob.

I guess we see what we want to see. Rocco's post above was far less of a rant and much more of a call to action for the university, athletic department, and coaching staff.

The previous staff might not have been the most dynamically innovative or the best on game day, but they sure could game plan.

This crew? I'm not sure that they could properly organize a two car funeral. And it sucks saying that, because I had a completely different impression after how last season ended.

Does anybody really want to start over for the fourth time in less than 10 years? No--most would love for Shafer to succeed wildly. But at some point, we as fans need to drop the pollyanna blinders and assess things accurately.

I agree with a lot of the observations in the OP/Rant.

I hate to say it, but I do.

Everything from the constant substitutions of the DTs to the apparent coaching issues.

I think I feel more frustration than I did during Greg Robinson's years here - I didn't think that was possible.

Your "rant" would fit in on Syracuse.com. I only try to support the players and coaches. We went to and won a bowl last year. We have played some tough teams and not executed well and sit at 2-3. This deserves a lynch mob.
Really? You're suggesting a swift and unjust killing because of a post you don't like?

Are you watching the same team as the rest of us? This team had glaring problems last year, and we've regressed from there- Old Problems that haven't been patched up + new issues we never considered. And this is with more natural talent.

Any one who pays attention knows what you are all about Rocco. Don't worry about a little criticism. You just keep doing what you've been doing. We all felt like we were on the road back just a short while ago and now it seems like 2008 all over again. I feel exactly like you do. The fact that I like and respect HCSS so much makes it feel so much more painful.

What did he write that wasn't accurate?

We suck in the redzone - not debatable at all. Even the announcers know how to look back at our past performance and comment on that. And that's not going off the deep end because of one play or one game - it's systemic.

We have had 2 1st and goals that have ended up 3rd and long due to penalties this season, and we're only 5 games in. I don't remember ever seeing that as an SU fan and I've been watching since '87 when I was 10.

We have no continuity on offense because we have so many players shuffling in and out. And that's been a constant all season.

And Hunt is still overthrowing receivers multiple times per game and his on field awareness and decision making are certainly called into question after the L'ville game. And let's not rehash punchgate vs Villanova.

People are fed up and they have a right to be. This isn't the gameday thread where some moron is writing "FIRE THE COACH" after every failed play.

We are at a critical point for both this season and the future of this program. I'm ecstatic that Coach Shafer responded the way he did because it shows he gets it - no one person is above the program. Players are held accountable to performing at a high level or it's the "next man up" - coaches shouldn't be immune from that. This sends a message that needed to be sent. And if it's true that the only reason why we were able to salvage a bowl season last year is because Lester had to hold MCD's hand, then it really was time for a change.

Really? You're suggesting a swift and unjust killing because of a post you don't like?

Are you watching the same team as the rest of us? This team had glaring problems last year, and we've regressed from there- Old Problems that haven't been patched up + new issues we never considered. And this is with more natural talent.
Should have been a question mark after lynch mob , sorry for the punctuation error which led to a different interpretation than intended.

CousCuse said:

Being a fan is about passion, emotion, constructive criticism, frustration, and dedication (by no means a full list). It's not about blind loyalty.

Rocco's post had all of that. You may not agree with some of his points but it definitely is something a fan would write.

His post's points were not about wins and losses.

If you think basketball had spoiled folks, you must not read that board much.

Lighten up Francis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom