Class of 2014 - Thomas Holley | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thomas Holley

apparently he has "low" interest with us according to a familiar recruiting site...wish we started scoring with these high level nyc recruits..

While he has been a three year starter no one in New York knows because he doesnt get any pub/exposure up here. The Daily News isn't writing articles about him. The City kids making noise at Cuse are getting ink. There in lies the difference about going out of state versus succeeding locally.
It really doesnt matter about the news what matters is that you play at a big time program in a big time conf like SU and the ACC. If you play and do well you have a much better shot at the NFL than if you sit the bench or sub for a program like Clemson or Florida

Either these NYC kids are all paid or they wrongly believe that they have a better chance of making the NFL going to a school like Ohio st. It's simply not true. If you're good enough youll make it no matter what. SU has been well recently putting players in the NFL the past years.

Either these NYC kids are all paid or they wrongly believe that they have a better chance of making the NFL going to a school like Ohio st. It's simply not true. If you're good enough youll make it no matter what. SU has been well recently putting players in the NFL the past years.
Can't agree more. If you have the talent, they will find you. I was given this exact advice by a very well known hitting coach as a teen, stayed north, and got my shot. No doubt these kids heads are filled with NFL thoughts and that their best chance to attain NFL dreams is only through attending top 10ish programs. However with that said, success breeds success.

Can't agree more. If you have the talent, they will find you. I was given this exact advice by a very well known hitting coach as a teen, stayed north, and got my shot. No doubt these kids heads are filled with NFL thoughts and that their best chance to attain NFL dreams is only through attending top 10ish programs. However with that said, success breeds success.

Just watch Sunday night football and listen to the schools the starters are coming from. Always 4-5 "Bluebloods" - but then a lot of smaller schools. Reality is not what's being sold to these kids.

T.hunt anchoring the O, Holley the D. Two NYC kids close to home...

Maybe they go to top 10 programs and not Syracuse because they like going to football schools with dedicated fan bases who show up to games regardless of record or opponent. If they can get to the NFL regardless of where what school they choose, then why not go to Ohio St over Syracuse, where you win a bunch of games, have a shot at the heisman/ nat'l champ, and you do it in front of people who actually watch you play in person.

If their NFL odds are the same no matter the college, can you blame them for not wanting to stay home (Which is actually 280 miles away and doesn't feel anything like NYC), especially if it means more success on the college level, which does indeed give you a better chance of making the NFL because more scouts come to your teams' games.

There are so many examples of guys playing at low level programs and making an impact in the NFL. If you have talent you will stand out on film, you will then get an invite to the combine and senior bowl game. Flacco is the highest paid QB in the NFL and came out of Delaware. Julius Thomas played 1 year at Portland State, Victor Cruz played at UMass. Heck the number 1 overall pick to Kansas City last year, Eric Fisher, graduated from Central Michigan. Even during the dark days we had some players make it to the NFL just by being dominant on the field. I remember Arthur Jones eating up NDs offensive line.

Since it's info from a pay site, I won't say too much. However, Holley has set two visits, neither of which are Cuse. Still pondering if there will be others. Me thinks we may have to move on

Guys Holley is still an extreme longshot at best, don't get caught up in his recruitment because your going to get dissapointed. We after some quality guys that we have a good shot at including some visiting this weekend. This statement also holds true for Mavety, that ship sailed months and months ago.

It's funny how on the football board it's "if you have talent, they'll find you."

On the basketball board it's "have fun in obscurity."

let me guess the buckeye site wrote the article? What's funny is depending on the site - gators, nd, buckeye, blue and white - they all think he's theirs to lose.

syracuse has a reasonable chance of getting his sig. Holley himself has NEVER said anywhere that he has 'low' interest in Syracuse. But it's put out like that on scout because the blue bloods just assume there is no way he could have more than 'low' interest in syracuse (or rutgers for that matter). If Holley himself actually said it, it would be quoted in an article. He hasn't. From what I've been led to believe we'll get a visit.

It's funny how on the football board it's "if you have talent, they'll find you."

if you're going to play hoops in the AAC that's true.

Guys Holley is still an extreme longshot at best, don't get caught up in his recruitment because your going to get dissapointed. We after some quality guys that we have a good shot at including some visiting this weekend. This statement also holds true for Mavety, that ship sailed months and months ago.

I agree, I am hoping at least Roberts and Beau B. commit this weekend. Also hoping the staff accepts Beau's committment if he does. Mavety is long over, Holley slightly less long over.

let me guess the buckeye site wrote the article? What's funny is depending on the site - gators, nd, buckeye, blue and white - they all think he's theirs to lose.

syracuse has a reasonable chance of getting his sig. Holley himself has NEVER said anywhere that he has 'low' interest in Syracuse. But it's put out like that on scout because the blue bloods just assume there is no way he could have more than 'low' interest in syracuse (or rutgers for that matter). If Holley himself actually said it, it would be quoted in an article. He hasn't. From what I've been led to believe we'll get a visit.

Holley hasn't ruled out visiting SU, but he has set two officials. The article wasn't from the Buckeye site or any specific team site, and if it were, it would just be them quoting Holley, who gives the specific schools and the specific dates. Any other visits are, to paraphrase Holley, we shall see. So, I agree with your general premise about propaganda spewed by a specific team's site(especially Rutgers), but not applicable here.

Good observation however Football and Basketball are two different sports in basketball there are a very select number of roster spots in the NBA and only two rounds of draft while 345 schools play division I ball teams using picks players who possibly don't make a name for themselves because the team around them isn't good enough to make the tournament or play against the best competition is few and far between. Now a player who single handedly wills his team to the tourney that's a different story but those guys have off the chart talent anyways. Football is a Film sport with 7 rounds of draft picks if a player that actually plays for a BCS team and is a senior with good form and measurables he will at least get a look if that look is positive he'll get another. This is especially true because in football they are looking harder at individuals as there are fewer players available per draft pick and there is no extended tourney to showcase players head to head. Basketball its all about making the tourney and becoming a splashy pick, even the 6th or 7th man on a good tourney team is going to get a look and be on the radar as a next year pick.

Interestingly many talented football players don't get the opportunity to play or work as closely with coaches to develop as much at Alabama et/al because there are three other guys at their position that are a bit better, sometimes at the big big football schools even though you have talent it can be tough to find you because you don't play as much.

Stats for fun
There are Enough Draft picks for 3.5% of 5 NCAA DI starters in the NBA (2rndsx30teams)/(5x345)
There are Enough Draft picks for 17.7% of 5 NCAA DI Tourney starters in the NBA (2rndsx30teams)/(5x68)
There are Enough Draft picks for 8.1% of the 22 starters DI football school (7rndsx32teams)/(22x125)
There are Enough Draft picks for 13.6% of the 22 starters per BCS AQ football school (7rndsx32teams)/(22x75)

With his visits Oct. 12th and Oct. 19th i am guessing he wants to end the process already. Looks like our long shot just became a hail mary

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike5h
Per his coach it appears Thomas Holley will take official to #psu next weekend. #nittanylions

the following week is another one of our favorites...Urban Meyer

With his visits Oct. 12th and Oct. 19th i am guessing he wants to end the process already. Looks like our long shot just became a hail mary

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike5h
Per his coach it appears Thomas Holley will take official to #psu next weekend. #nittanylions

the following week is another one of our favorites...Urban Meyer
Big recruiting weekend for them next weekend evidently. Cabinda visiting too.

Was there ever any word on Holleys visit to child rape U ?

He's scheduled to visit Ohio state today

Was there ever any word on Holleys visit to child rape U ?

He's scheduled to visit Ohio state today

The only thing of interest i got from it was he got there real late so didn't get to spend much time on the field or see the pre game preparation. Also saw there were over 100 visitors for that game. Apparently game days don't detour their staff from hosting prospects. They are still raving about the environment and blew away all the recruits there. Painful to see them have over 100 visitors from kids from 2014-2017 and we had a grand total of 6 for Clemson

The only thing of interest i got from it was he got there real late so didn't get to spend much time on the field or see the pre game preparation. Also saw there were over 100 visitors for that game. Apparently game days don't detour their staff from hosting prospects. They are still raving about the environment and blew away all the recruits there. Painful to see them have over 100 visitors from kids from 2014-2017 and we had a grand total of 6 for Clemson
vetu4u7a.jpg

That is painful but there is nothing we can do to change the location of our school. We need to recruit more regionally. It's easy for them to get visitors from pa, nj and md.

The other thing to consider is that that wasn't 100 d1 kids visiting. We could invite a couple of hs teams and say we had 100 visitors. But what we should be doing is always inviting new yorks top 100 kids (in any class) from NYC to buffalo - especially starting withe sophomore classes to start building relationships and have them feel connected. Maybe even northern nj as well as northern pa-scranton to Allentown. They should always have tickets for these kids for every home game. We need to hire more football support staff to oversee this stuff. I've heard ped state and even buttgers has dozens of employees working the recruiting and visits.

One other logistical issue we have is where would we put 100 visitors and their families? Does the football team buy blocks of seats for guests? I don't know how that is all run, what I do know is we don't have room on he sidelines for 100 or even 25 kids. Might not be a big deal but has to be considered.

That is painful but there is nothing we can do to change the location of our school. We need to recruit more regionally. It's easy for them to get visitors from pa, nj and md.

The other thing to consider is that that wasn't 100 d1 kids visiting. We could invite a couple of hs teams and say we had 100 visitors. But what we should be doing is always inviting new yorks top 100 kids (in any class) from NYC to buffalo - especially starting withe sophomore classes to start building relationships and have them feel connected. Maybe even northern nj as well as northern pa-scranton to Allentown. They should always have tickets for these kids for every home game. We need to hire more football support staff to oversee this stuff. I've heard ped state and even buttgers has dozens of employees working the recruiting and visits.

One other logistical issue we have is where would we put 100 visitors and their families? Does the football team buy blocks of seats for guests? I don't know how that is all run, what I do know is we don't have room on he sidelines for 100 or even 25 kids. Might not be a big deal but has to be considered.

Heck, put them in the student section at halftime- plenty of room!

Yup, bet all those kids got a lot of one on one time with the coaches and got to sit down and discuss how they'd fit in. Definitely plenty of time for all 100 kids to do so.

Yup, bet all those kids got a lot of one on one time with the coaches and got to sit down and discuss how they'd fit in. Definitely plenty of time for all 100 kids to do so.

there is plenty of time for 1 on 1's when they are 2015 , 2016, and 2017 kids. get them on campus for a real game experience is something coming up for a hoops game can't give you. why do you think every big time school in the country does this? have you seen the visitor lists for every Clemson, Rutgers, PSU, and Ohio St home games this season? It's not all about 1 and 1 time, use that for official visits. But when you have a chance to sell your school during the best game day atmoshpere in a decade and you get 6 kids up, i'm sorry but your blowing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom