Class of 2014 - Thomas Holley | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thomas Holley

there is plenty of time for 1 on 1's when they are 2015 , 2016, and 2017 kids. get them on campus for a real game experience is something coming up for a hoops game can't give you. why do you think every big time school in the country does this? have you seen the visitor lists for every Clemson, Rutgers, PSU, and Ohio St home games this season? It's not all about 1 and 1 time, use that for official visits. But when you have a chance to sell your school during the best game day atmoshpere in a decade and you get 6 kids up, i'm sorry but your blowing it

Agree but to your point, that game day atmosphere completely dissipated by the end of the first quarter and the dome was half empty by halftime.

Agree but to your point, that game day atmosphere completely dissipated by the end of the first quarter and the dome was half empty by halftime.

Doesn't matter, they got to see what it could be like in the Dome when it's full. Obviously were selling the future to these kids so they imagine themselves coming in and helping get it like that every game.

Ok that may be a stretch, but Pitt got clubbed by FSU in front of 50 or so recruits and to a man they loved it. Ollison was there that day as well.

Doesn't matter, they got to see what it could be like in the Dome when it's full. Obviously were selling the future to these kids so they imagine themselves coming in and helping get it like that every game.

Ok that may be a stretch, but Pitt got clubbed by FSU in front of 50 or so recruits and to a man they loved it. Ollison was there that day as well.
I agree that we are "selling the future" but kids like most of us recognize only the present and at this moment it isn't a good thing to see. We need to come back from this strong. I don't know if thats possible but we should be able to beat Wake at home regardless of the crowd size.A week off should make them well rested and eager to get back to playing against someone other than themselves in practice.

That is painful but there is nothing we can do to change the location of our school. We need to recruit more regionally. It's easy for them to get visitors from pa, nj and md.

The other thing to consider is that that wasn't 100 d1 kids visiting. We could invite a couple of hs teams and say we had 100 visitors. But what we should be doing is always inviting new yorks top 100 kids (in any class) from NYC to buffalo - especially starting withe sophomore classes to start building relationships and have them feel connected. Maybe even northern nj as well as northern pa-scranton to Allentown. They should always have tickets for these kids for every home game. We need to hire more football support staff to oversee this stuff. I've heard ped state and even buttgers has dozens of employees working the recruiting and visits.

One other logistical issue we have is where would we put 100 visitors and their families? Does the football team buy blocks of seats for guests? I don't know how that is all run, what I do know is we don't have room on he sidelines for 100 or even 25 kids. Might not be a big deal but has to be considered.
Could they do something to honor state champion teams? Invite the whole team, which likely has some current and future prospects, particularly if it's a traditional powerhouse school. Could honor all champion teams at once or Class A and AA one week and B/C/D another week (not enough games available or return on investment to dedicate time solely to the lower schools). Give them the base behind the scenes tour, with more interaction for select coaches/prospects, and an on-field ceremony.

I'm not sure when the current year HS playoffs finish in time relative to our home schedule - might not be done in time to put it together the same year, at least in some seasons. But you could honor the prior seasons champions early in our home schedule and still get most of the benefit.

This past weekend, I read where my school, Vanderbilt, had over 100 guys at their game w/Georgia, most of whom were for 2015, they already have most of their 2014 class done. Just get them on campus at least

If this past week was an indication as to how the coaching staff gameplans without 100 recruits on campus i would hate to see them try to manage both things.

This past weekend, I read where my school, Vanderbilt, had over 100 guys at their game w/Georgia, most of whom were for 2015, they already have most of their 2014 class done. Just get them on campus at least

I think thats awesome... But also a little dangerous... There is no way to accurately show the proper attention to these kids, that they want (narcissists) in order to make it beneficial. I honestly like getting the kids you really want to campus with other commits and the ability to show them the school one on one... We're not OSU, ND, etc with a million people at our disposal to do the legwork... Shafer has to sell himself... Especially on gameday, thats not possible!

Does the NCAA limit the number of expenses-paid (i.e., official) visits a school can offer? Even if it is unlimited, bringing in 100 recruits must be an expensive proposition.

Does the NCAA limit the number of expenses-paid (i.e., official) visits a school can offer? Even if it is unlimited, bringing in 100 recruits must be an expensive proposition.
Those are all unofficial, so there is very little, if any expenses. If I understand correctly, it is basically organizing all of the kids coming in and then having hosts for them, likely in large groups. They don't have to pay their transportation, lodging or food. In fact, they can't.

Those are all unofficial, so there is very little, if any expenses. If I understand correctly, it is basically organizing all of the kids coming in and then having hosts for them, likely in large groups. They don't have to pay their transportation, lodging or food. In fact, they can't.
You wonder how a school can convince so may kids to attend their game at their own expense? Part of the problem in NY State is that the SU games conflict with the HS games on Saturday. Regardless, I'm not sure there are 100 D-1 players within a 2-3 hr drive of Syracuse (probably the max a kid would want to travel).

You wonder how a school can convince so may kids to attend their game at their own expense? Part of the problem in NY State is that the SU games conflict with the HS games on Saturday. Regardless, I'm not sure there are 100 D-1 players within a 2-3 hr drive of Syracuse (probably the max a kid would want to travel).
They can provide them free admission, if I remember correctly. Others can clarify that.

Not as much a conflict in November as the NYS HS regular season just ended (or maybe one more weekend?) and the sectional playoffs start. Heck if they bring in 100 kids and only 20% end up as D-1 recruits that's ok. Maybe some of these kids do not play past the HS level but they end up as SU football fans down the road.

I think thats awesome... But also a little dangerous... There is no way to accurately show the proper attention to these kids, that they want (narcissists) in order to make it beneficial. I honestly like getting the kids you really want to campus with other commits and the ability to show them the school one on one... We're not OSU, ND, etc with a million people at our disposal to do the legwork... Shafer has to sell himself... Especially on gameday, thats not possible!

Every school in the country does it. Most know when they are coming for a game that the staff will have little time to talk to you. This is where a strong support staff could come into play. But still most are aware ahead of time they are coming up to experience the game day atmosphere, not a full blown tour. Our area does suck, but that's also why it's important to recruit in your backyard. Down to Scranton and northern PA you can still get here in a 3 -4 hour drive. It's not like Vandy is having 100 kids coming to Nashville that are all in their backyard. When Pitt hosted FSU they had visitors from all over the place. But mostly this is my major concern with recruiting out in the midwest.

Plus with Fr - Jr within 3-4 hr...get them in for a game and then maybe some of these kids want to camp here next summer.

i know a guy who writes for one of the recruiting sites. he told me that osu stopped recruiting holley and that holley is going to psu. he also said holley has a relative, maybe a cousin, who goes to psu. anyways, i'm wondering if anyone heard anything similar. i am not putting a lot into what this writer said so whoever reads my post shouldn't, but he did show me a text from the osu coach which reflects what i wrote.

edit: i should clarify the part i dont believe is that hes a done deal for psu. that could be an assumption on the coach's part. i do believe osu stopped recruiting him. whether that was holley's decision or osu's, i don't know. it could be a rutgers type of comment.

i know a guy who writes for one of the recruiting sites. he told me that osu stopped recruiting holley and that holley is going to psu. he also said holley has a relative, maybe a cousin, who goes to psu. anyways, i'm wondering if anyone heard anything similar. i am not putting a lot into what this writer said so whoever reads my post shouldn't, but he did show me a text from the osu coach which reflects what i wrote.

edit: i should clarify the part i dont believe is that hes a done deal for psu. that could be an assumption on the coach's part. i do believe osu stopped recruiting him. whether that was holley's decision or osu's, i don't know. it could be a rutgers type of comment.
Meyer was just in to see him (at his HS) last Monday. Did something change over the weekend?

Meyer was just in to see him (at his HS) last Monday. Did something change over the weekend?

not sure. i was told what i wrote saturday night. im no insider and dont pretend to be.

Of course he is a "done deal for PennState.These Big Ten schools have it way too easy with recruiting. It doesn't matter their history or anything close to unsavory hurts them. To say its frustrating is an understatement at its finest.:bang:

By my count PSU has about 5 or 6 scholarships remaining for 2014. So depending on the priority, and I assume TH is one, the door may be closing soon on a decision on Happy Valley.

good news is he will take his official the same time that UF is getting smoked by FSU.. That should be fun in a half full stadium. We just need to hope this keeps getting delayed longer and longer and longer...

good news is he will take his official the same time that UF is getting smoked by FSU.. That should be fun in a half full stadium. We just need to hope this keeps getting delayed longer and longer and longer...

I have this vision of us ending the year strong, as we have been and T. Hunt being able to convince him to give SU a chance... The stronger his role becomes, the more likely he can assist with this recruitment... Maybe thats a pipe dream though.

By my count PSU has about 5 or 6 scholarships remaining for 2014. So depending on the priority, and I assume TH is one, the door may be closing soon on a decision on Happy Valley.

How can Penn State recruit Terrell Hunt?

Thomas is a good kid, very much like Ishaq was. Point being, we need to put our best foot forward and use Ishaq Williams and Jaron Jones as an example as to why Mr. Holley would be better served to stay home and be that leader from NY that wants to create his own legacy and make a difference in his own home state. Here he would be beloved by all of us, and with hard work and good coaching, be a real difference maker here. He doesn't seem to be the kind of kid that is easily caught up in the "Brand" thing that has lured other top NY talent away from home. Would Marcus S. be where he is today had he gone to a bigger school? Dyshawn? Smith? How about the Jones Brothers? Would they have made it to the NFL had they choose a school like ND? One never knows, but fact is they went here and succeeded. We could easily go back 8-10 NY players that could be at SU over other schools and the where are they today story? Time to have that serious talk with this youngman, and how he could make a difference here in the great State of New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom