Thought for Midnight Madness | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thought for Midnight Madness

That's a totally absurd premise. We already have our 2015 class... and no kid in the 2016 or 2017 class is going to remember (or care) who performed at Midnight Madness in 2014 at the 12 schools that are recruiting him. Kids come to SU because they like Boeheim, the assistant coaches, the Dome, playing time, the fact that Newhouse is here, the fact that Syracuse is closer to NYC than a lot of other schools, etc. They go to Duke or KY because it IS Duke or KY. They don't pick a school because of a Midnight Madness concert

"absurd premise" LOL!

More importantly, why does anyone pick Kansas? It's in the middle of no where with nothing to do!

One of my favorite hip hop artists is Lecrae. He's releasing an album this fall and going on tour. The artist he is touring with is Andy Mineo. I haven't heard much about this artist aside from stuff my friends from Syracuse and NYC would post on Facebook. I decided to check him out.

Andy Mineo is a "Christian" rapper from Syracuse who now resides in NYC. He is signed to Lecrae's record label and has appeared on Sway in the Morning multiple times on XM Radio Shade 45. I say "Christian" in parentheses because like Lecrae he doesn't only rap about Jesus. He does however have an ultra positive message with clean lyrics which would be a great for midnight madness. I understand its about getting name ppl know in the joint for rep building and recruiting but this artist is starting to blow up mainstream and is from Syracuse. According to his Wiki page, formerly signed to Marshall Street label via the University.

Not to mention his music is DOPE. He had to clarify comments recently where he said Christian hip hop in the past was corny, but he was right. His music is, IMO, as cutting edge as Kanye's new album where he blended mainstream hip hop and Death Grips style hardcore rap. Sway calls him the future of hip hop. So much so that his album is on the top of my workout playlist rn. It just gets you amped! High energy, clean hip hop with a positive message. I get that he doesn't need to be at a University event rapping about Jesus all night but he has a lot of mainstream material as well.

Check one of his songs out..

I appreciate your highlighting artists like Lecrae and Andy Mineo... I have an entire list of similar music if you ever want it. Good look.

I think more crowd interaction is ideal but these events are seemingly a recruiting tool.

That's what I thought. Not many schools get to participate in Midnight Madness. It's great for brand recognition. CBB is a business after all. Or are you going to tell me Syracuse University doesn't care about profits and brand recognition?

I still think we should get Jimmy Fallon to the Dome to meet Rakeem Christmas f2f.

I would love to see Jimmy Fallon do a Jim Boeheim imitation. Jimmy was amazing doing Springsteen imitation:

Really? That's just mean.

It's true. They are undersized and aren't the caliber musically of say USC, Michigan, UCLA, etc. It would be a disaster.

Who cares whom KY or Duke has? It is totally irrelevant to SU. In the past few years, we have not had enough BASKETBALL at Midnight Madness (just a riot and some stabbings). Start with the women's team having some skill contests and a scrimmage. Then have the men do some skill contests and a REAL scrimmage. Let's get a good look at the freshmen and the returnees who did not play much last year. Everyone says BJ can do this... and Tyler can do that. Let's see what they can do.

Exactly! I would be much happier with that scenario. The event pales when it's all sizzle and no steak. Recently it's been all FIZZLE and no steak.

I appreciate your highlighting artists like Lecrae and Andy Mineo... I have an entire list of similar music if you ever want it. Good look.
Thanks! I think it's only a matter of time before Andy Mineo and/or Social Club blow up mainstream. There music is so unique. The best music in the hip hop/r&b genre, IMO, is anything by Kanye, Drake, The Weeknd or a track produced by DJ Mustard. Andy Mineo/Social Club sound is right up here as a unique party sound that in only a matter of time gets popular. They just happen to be Christian artists which probably holds them back. I know Lecrae has turned down Jay-Z's record label and collabs but I kind of wish these guys would go mainstream because, take Jesus out of it, just the positive message needs to be heard to drown out the Money/Sex/Women/Drugs bla bla bla that every single rapper throws out there with the aid of curse words for flow. The fact these dudes can slay a track and not curse is impressive.

Great idea. Have him tape his show in the Dome and then he can meet Rak and we get The Legendary Roots Crew to perform- works perfectly to blend our NY and Philly connections. Must be some former Newhouse student on The Tonight Show staff
Ya know... The roots is like the perfect type of entertainment for this gig. Worlds collide! Great idea!

We Are Syracuse said:
Screw the freaking rappers... Get the freaking boss to perform!!!! BRUCE!!!

Yeah, no. You want the kids to come here. ;)

It's all relative. It's not about what we like. How about we get megadeth or Sabbath? Yeah, I didn't think so. Not dope enough?

I too think it's ridiculous. Imagine if I selected the company to work for just because they had a band I liked at their company clambake, but the money or benefits sucked?

They'll come here because we're Syracuse. All the reason they need.

Dedicate MM or have a moment of silence for OE?

Then bring the house down with a great MM show!