Thoughts on Broyld/Avant switch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Broyld/Avant switch

Ashton Broyld is going to explode this year. It took him a couple of seasons to adjust to catching the ball in traffic at game speed , but he is dedicated to his work and I believe he has it in hand now. And when he gets the ball in the broken field I haven't seen anyone make the cuts against the grain like him , except Marcus Allen.

I believe the switch is about the following.

1: It provides Ashton with the best position for his talent in this O

2: Beefs up a position that became thin

3: WR is about route running, timing, seperation, and hands not his strong points

4: Frosh and vets like Flemming and West have shown enough to allow the switch back

5: He will get a heck of alot more touches at the H than WR and he is our best weapon including Bris

I'd defer to the staff and they want to get the best players on the field. This, to me, seems to accomplish that.

One quick comment on Enoicy. I've been high on him from the get go. Some knocks on him were his work ethic but he was highly touted going into his senior year. I think his rating suffered because he didn’t talk to the sites. Rvls had him a 4* prospect up until December when they dropped him to a 2* 5.4 rating. ESPN had him 4*.

Sun Sentinel loved the kid who had him rated 9th in Palm Beach County and reported early offers from Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida, FSU, Miami, South Carolina, USC, VT, Wake; to which I think most people scoffed at but I always thought there was some truth in it. Surely his size was never a question.

At the end of last season he went out and had a big day in the Georgia/Florida All-Star game with a couple of big catches and a TD. Kid is monster.

(pic from Florida/Georgia All Star game)

010413-spt-allstar-5.jpg

We had a sweet class last year and we need to keep adding to it.

Ashton Broyld is going to explode this year. It took him a couple of seasons to adjust to catching the ball in traffic at game speed , but he is dedicated to his work and I believe he has it in hand now. And when he gets the ball in the broken field I haven't seen anyone make the cuts against the grain like him , except Marcus Allen.
I really really really hope you're right. But I need to see it actually happen first I've seen no evidence of this ability on the field. Last year Broyld led the team in receptions (52). But with all that athleticism. All that supposed broken field ability and cuts against the grain he got into the end zone exactly as many times as I did. I hope the young kids are true WR's and play makers because the guys last year didn't make any plays.

Still training camp, then Nova, then 2 weeks to CMU. The staff is experimenting and has time to do it. This conversation is premature, let's see how we line up against MD. I'm so freaking happy we aren't opening in a huge game this year. We have a chance to see guys in game situations and adjust well before we hit BCS level competition.

Interesting thread...

To me, this move suggests a number of things, most of which are good signs. First, if the staff is moving AB yet again, I hope that it means that he has finally mastered a less complicated playbook and refined his WR skill set to the point that the staff wants to feature him in multiple positions. I don't think the staff would complicate his learning curve at this point of his development just to address depth issues. They are hoping to move him around game by game, and in-game situations. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that was the plan for AB when DM was here. Maybe AB is finally ready for that role...

"I don't want to tell Villanova what we're doing with him," Shafer said. "We're going to try to find ways to get our best receivers the ball. We'll take it one week at a time and all that coach-talk that you guys hate to hear."

I hope this move also speaks to the new and young talent at the true WR spots (and Custis, who could play a significant role this year at the Y). This O was never going to be productive IMO, if we needed to rely on the returning talent of the WRs that got the majority of the run last year.

An out of Towner's take: the staff has the luxury to try things, the comfort with proven qualities to spend extra time developing other players; the plans to keep this offense moving -not just this season but into the future; and the confidence to let the kids play.

Hunt is reportedly comfortable and hitting the medium and long throws. Less need for AB in a traditional WR role and he can used in his more natural role. Regardless, when Broyld is on the field, defenses will have to account for him. Put a few more playmakers on the field and the defense must play a more perfect game. Add the high tempo to that and defenses must play near perfect, which is next to impossible to do throughout the whole game.

Syracuse has a top level running crew, a solid WR corp and with AB playing at HB he can run, block and catch out of the backfield. The offense has weapons on the field and a very good OL and improving QB. This should be an exciting season.

I agree that FSU and Clemson games are the only games that really stress me. We can win every other game. I think we get eight+ wins but we can win the other games.

It is good to be an Orange fan.

As I said a few weeks back, we may see a couple situations where we have 2 H's on the field at once.

Just think about this for a minute... Estime and Broyld at H, Ishmael out wide with Custis at the Y. In the backfield we keep GMII or PTG in mainly for pass protection, but either can find room in space for a quick dump off. That is a matchup NIGHTMARE for opposing coordinators.

I spoke to a few people yesterday and the coaching staff is pumped with what they have to work with this year. All of the newcomers have been even better than advertised, which has led everyone (upperclassmen) to play that much better in practice. PT is up for grabs and everyone is going hard after it. The biggest question mark will come down to how much some of the younger guys can be counted on in game situations. Force feeding is on the menu over the next 9 days.

This is going to be an blast to watch unfold. Just 7 years ago, the Syracuse Football world was almost fully collapsed. Now, it's fun again and tastes even sweeter.

Last edited:
Agree with all the positivity here. Bottom line: get the best guys out there in space and try to get them the ball.

However, I continue to think the biggest challenge for now is finding WR(s) that can consistently get open down the field. Seems we have the potential, but only time will tell.

As I said a few weeks back, we may see a couple situations where we have 2 H's on the field at once.

Just think about this for a minute... Estime and Broyld at H, West and Ishmael out wide with Custis at the Y. In the backfield we keep GMII or PTG in mainly for pass protection, but either can find room in space for a quick dump off. That is a matchup NIGHTMARE for opposing coordinators.

I spoke to a few people yesterday and the coaching staff is pumped with what they have to work with this year. All of the newcomers have been even better than advertised, which has led everyone (upperclassmen) to play that much better in practice. PT is up for grabs and everyone is going hard after it. The biggest question mark will come down to how much some of the younger guys can be counted on in game situations. Force feeding is on the menu over the next 9 days.

This is going to be an blast to watch unfold. Just 7 years ago, the Syracuse Football world was almost fully collapsed. Now, it's fun again and tastes even sweeter.

Not trying to be a smartass Rocco, but you can't have Estime, AB, West, Ish and Custis on the field at the same time AND have a RB. 12 players. 5 receiver sets = empty backfield.

Not trying to be a smartass Rocco, but you can't have Estime, AB, West, Ish and Custis on the field at the same time AND have a RB. 12 players. 5 receiver sets = empty backfield.

Lol. Sorry, I have major baby brain going on right now. Did NOT mean to include West.

Reactions: 007
He never mentioned a QB
I've actually always thought it would be cool if you have a receiver that can throw a little bit and maybe played QB in highschool or something :)cough: BROYLD :cough:) to roll out a 6 WR set, put one in motion to drop in to the shotgun and just you know, like, get weird with your offense.

Agree with all the positivity here. Bottom line: get the best guys out there in space and try to get them the ball.

However, I continue to think the biggest challenge for now is finding WR(s) that can consistently get open down the field. Seems we have the potential, but only time will tell.

We have not heard a lot about them, but there are some other Wr's doing some big things at camp. I would suggest that Flemming could be the biggest we have not heard about. I liked him two years ago before he got hurt. The kid is in the mold of Mike Williams (if he stays healthy). Also, Ben Lewis has been doing some pretty big things. He has actually got a bit of run with the ones from time to time. I think Funderburk can also get open down the field. He is a Sales type of player. If he can get some run, I think he will finally surprise. Cornelius and Avant are very much like Lemon. They find space and are able to run great routes and sit down in the seams for chunks of yardage. Ish has also shown the ability to get open down field.

The question is going to be if THunt can get them the ball. As I said, from what I have seen and heard, he is light years ahead of last year. These next two years he is going to become a Heisman...er...um... I mean household name ( I kid about the Heisman, but the sky is the limit for him.). The kid has the "it" factor.

The only thing that is going to hurt us these year is going to be the interior DL. I do think this season has set up perfect for us though. We can continue to rest Crume, Estime, and give the starters enough run to get things hitting on all cylinders with new players a chance to get meaningful playing time going into week 4 (We do need to make sure we take care of business though, you don't come ready and your going to get a go old fashion embarrassing butt whoopin). I think the first two games with the bye in the middle is going to be a major benefit allowing us to work out our kinks, much like a preseason (Although I hate having our byes so far apart). By the Maryland game we have worked out our kinks and are running full blast with an increase of talent which bodes well for us going into week 5 against ND. With a big win there and FSU coming in well...

This was a great post, but can we please refrain from mentioning the 'tim lane rice moss days' for at least the next few weeks. It just can't be good for anyone.

It is pretty funny though now that we're what, 9 years removed? I mean, we're mentioning about 12 different WRs for this year. That year, we moved a true freshman defensive back to WR to be the #3 guy and he ended up being the #1 guy even though he only knew about 2 routes. I don't think even a #4 guy saw the field. Keenan Hale would have been the preseason Jerry Rice on that squad.

It is pretty funny though now that we're what, 9 years removed? I mean, we're mentioning about 12 different WRs for this year. That year, we moved a true freshman defensive back to WR to be the #3 guy and he ended up being the #1 guy even though he only knew about 2 routes. I don't think even a #4 guy saw the field. Keenan Hale would have been the preseason Jerry Rice on that squad.

Those were grim days. I just always remember how every team we played looked bigger, faster and stronger before the game even started. It was depressing.

We have not heard a lot about them, but there are some other Wr's doing some big things at camp. I would suggest that Flemming could be the biggest we have not heard about. I liked him two years ago before he got hurt. The kid is in the mold of Mike Williams (if he stays healthy). Also, Ben Lewis has been doing some pretty big things. He has actually got a bit of run with the ones from time to time. I think Funderburk can also get open down the field. He is a Sales type of player. If he can get some run, I think he will finally surprise. Cornelius and Avant are very much like Lemon. They find space and are able to run great routes and sit down in the seams for chunks of yardage. Ish has also shown the ability to get open down field.

The question is going to be if THunt can get them the ball. As I said, from what I have seen and heard, he is light years ahead of last year. These next two years he is going to become a Heisman...er...um... I mean household name ( I kid about the Heisman, but the sky is the limit for him.). The kid has the "it" factor.

The only thing that is going to hurt us these year is going to be the interior DL. I do think this season has set up perfect for us though. We can continue to rest Crume, Estime, and give the starters enough run to get things hitting on all cylinders with new players a chance to get meaningful playing time going into week 4 (We do need to make sure we take care of business though, you don't come ready and your going to get a go old fashion embarrassing butt whoopin). I think the first two games with the bye in the middle is going to be a major benefit allowing us to work out our kinks, much like a preseason (Although I hate having our byes so far apart). By the Maryland game we have worked out our kinks and are running full blast with an increase of talent which bodes well for us going into week 5 against ND. With a big win there and FSU coming in well...
TH4HT14 , forrealz.

Just think about this for a minute... Estime and Broyld at H, Ishmael out wide with Custis at the Y. In the backfield we keep GMII or PTG in mainly for pass protection, but either can find room in space for a quick dump off. That is a matchup NIGHTMARE for opposing coordinators.

Add to that the running ability of those RBs especially against defense spread to account for a 4 wide set and a 6-3 230 Mobile QB able to run zone read plays, Options abound.

We have not heard a lot about them, but there are some other Wr's doing some big things at camp. I would suggest that Flemming could be the biggest we have not heard about. I liked him two years ago before he got hurt.

Flemming must be having a good camp. We haven't heard boo about him all camp and then it was mentioned yesterday in a half sentence blurb that he's running first team.

Flemming must be having a good camp. We haven't heard boo about him all camp and then it was mentioned yesterday in a half sentence blurb that he's running first team.

As I recall, they were pretty high on Flemming coming out of camp last year too. He only played/started in the first game before a season ending injury, but I think he was the primary target when we tried to go long.

At the end of the day, this is a really good problem to have. We haven't had this kind of depth since the McNabb days. I still remember the Tim Lane Rice Moss days.
Warning...I am being completely argumentative and only half serious but...it can be argued that Tim Lane and Rice Moss both had just as good numbers that Broyld and Estime had last year. Please note that in 2013 SU had 405 pass attempts and in 2005 & 2006 they had 304 and 311.

2013 Rec Yd per catch TD
Broyld 52/8.7/0
Estime 28/9.2/1

Lane 27/12.6/1
Moss 26/13.8/0

Lane 16/10.4/0
Moss 23/11.8/1

I'm still in wait and see mode, they've shown flashes of ability. But do we know yet if Hunt is any better than Patterson was? That is also an important part of the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom