Thoughts on Broyld/Avant switch | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Broyld/Avant switch

I'm still in wait and see mode, they've shown flashes of ability. But do we know yet if Hunt is any better than Patterson was? That is also an important part of the equation.
I'm one of the few that liked Patterson and thought he was really handcuffed by the, uh, talent around him, but I think Hunt is very likely better than Patterson and expect that to be confirmed this season. The only reason why I wouldn't say that with certainty now is because he did have some really, really awful games last season.

I've actually always thought it would be cool if you have a receiver that can throw a little bit and maybe played QB in highschool or something :)cough: BROYLD :cough:) to roll out a 6 WR set, put one in motion to drop in to the shotgun and just you know, like, get weird with your offense.
And if they all initially lined up outside the tackles, that would be the truest form of an empty backfield.

And if they all initially lined up outside the tackles, that would be the truest form of an empty backfield.
Oh yeah, you'd spread it out.

Oh yeah, you'd spread it out.
Then prior to the snap two guys would motion behind the center and at the snap everyone else could motion back there. It would be criss cross craziness.

Still training camp, then Nova, then 2 weeks to CMU. The staff is experimenting and has time to do it. This conversation is premature, let's see how we line up against MD. I'm so freaking happy we aren't opening in a huge game this year. We have a chance to see guys in game situations and adjust well before we hit BCS level competition.

In all fairness this is a fan message board. Nobody is really questioning the staff. I mean if we aren't going to talk about moves like this, and just defer to the staff everytime then what's the point of the forum in the first place?

I'm one of the few that liked Patterson and thought he was really handcuffed by the, uh, talent around him, but I think Hunt is very likely better than Patterson and expect that to be confirmed this season. The only reason why I wouldn't say that with certainty now is because he did have some really, really awful games last season.

I always was in the camp that the deer hop drop back is what ruined him. (semi-sarcastic)

I still have nightmares thinking of that. Who in the world thought that was smart?

to go completely off target, i still wonder if broyld is better suited for defense. i always thought he could've been a good lber.

I always was in the camp that the deer hop drop back is what ruined him. (semi-sarcastic)

I still have nightmares thinking of that. Who in the world thought that was smart?
I thought that was Robinson?

to go completely off target, i still wonder if broyld is better suited for defense. i always thought he could've been a good lber.
You would think, possibly a good DE too. The problem is that he would be Dion Sanders without the speed. AB is not a big fan of contact and actually shy's away from it. For anyone who has played football, you know it takes a special kinda crazy to want to play D. AB has a special kind of crazy just not that kind.:D

Not trying to be a smartass Rocco, but you can't have Estime, AB, West, Ish and Custis on the field at the same time AND have a RB. 12 players. 5 receiver sets = empty backfield.
Details, details

Patterson totally did the bunny hop. It was terrible to watch. The biggest question of those few years was did tim lane get open all the time because he was a great route runner or because he had tennis racquets for hands? I will confess I met tim numerous times in his tenure here and he along w Steve McDonald were a couple of the nicest guys you cold meet

Patterson totally did the bunny hop. It was terrible to watch. The biggest question of those few years was did tim lane get open all the time because he was a great route runner or because he had tennis racquets for hands? I will confess I met tim numerous times in his tenure here and he along w Steve McDonald were a couple of the nicest guys you cold meet

I think everyone feels bad hammering those guys considering that, to at least some degree, they were victims of circumstance. I think the point is more that we were an atrocious football team for a variety of reasons and it's a very, very painful memory.

I would not argue with the notion that coaching, conditioning and injuries took a really solid prospect and completely hamstrung him. Patterson at times displayed pretty impressive touch and seemed like he was smart enough and and a hard enough worker to handle the position.

Can't wait until they slip Kobena in at 4th receiver against some redshirt freshman corner and he gives him a hitch and go for 75 yards. You know TH is going to get the ball to his buddy from The City a few times.
A lot of people are forgetting about Kobena. Great Deep threat.

This was a great post, but can we please refrain from mentioning the 'tim lane rice moss days' for at least the next few weeks. It just can't be good for anyone.

*breaks huddle* WEAK LINK

Oh Lord

Eh, I'd be surprised if he got enough playing time to do anything this year.
Agreed. Kobena was bypassed in the depth chart last season, and I don't think we will see that much of him this time around.

Eh, I'd be surprised if he got enough playing time to do anything this year.[/QUOT]
Going to be hard, i agree. Ishmael may be that deep threat...

Agreed. Kobena was bypassed in the depth chart last season, and I don't think we will see that much of him this time around.
Both Marrone's and HCSS's staffs have done everything possible to get Kobena's speed on the field. Not catching the ball consistently is a huge problem for any WR.

I'm sure Kobena will get plenty of time on various special teams (i.e. punt and KO coverage) but I'd be very surprised to see him in a regular WR rotation.

Both Marrone's and HCSS's staffs have done everything possible to get Kobena's speed on the field. Not catching the ball consistently is a huge problem for any WR.

I'm sure Kobena will get plenty of time on various special teams (i.e. punt and KO coverage) but I'd be very surprised to see him in a regular WR rotation.
An unaccounted for player that gets a play now and then . That's difficult for a DC to scheme for when that player has track star speed.

An unaccounted for player that gets a play now and then . That's difficult for a DC to scheme for when that player has track star speed.
What good is track star speed when, in three years, he hasn't shown the ability to break away, get open, or change directions?

What good is track star speed when, in three years, he hasn't shown the ability to break away, get open, or change directions?
...and most importantly, catch the ball.

In Kobena's defense, I've heard that he is a great blocker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom