Time for a change ASAP | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Time for a change ASAP

If you look at momentum, for all intents and purposes the game was over after the pick 6. It shell shocked the team and we never had positive momentum after it.
Yup, I was still hopeful that a locker room adjustment or attitude change would've led to improved play. One day I'll learn...

agree with all of what u said---my concern was leaving dungey in the game----sign of desperation and poor coaching. as i said in another post i did not expect a win for various reasons

You know what.

I have done a lot of thinking about it.

When I posted, I did not realize what had happened to Eric.

I had turned off the game.

I am so stupefied by the decision to leave him in there and by the thought that we had a chance to come back at that point, that I now have no problem letting Scott Shafer go.

There was simply no reason for Dungey to be in there at that point - there was no need to jeopardize his career and the Program by subjecting him to what could be a career ending injury.

That was the final straw for me. I have no problem moving on at this point.

Last edited:
You know what.

I am so stupefied by the decision to leave him in there and by the thought that we had a chance to come back at that point, that I now have no problem letting Scott Shafer go.

There was simply no reason for Dungey to be in there at that point - there was no need to jeopardize his career and the Program by subjecting to what could be a career ending injury.

When this happens...

You know what.

There was simply no reason for Dungey to be in there at that point - there was no need to jeopardize his career and the Program by subjecting him to what could be a career ending injury.

I gave up on it when you did. I would've lost it, inexcusable

You know what.

Wow, you've finally thrown in the towel. It sucks, doesn't it?

Exactly. Louisville smoked us with a 3rd string QB. Players being out is not an excuse to get beat anymore. We had no chance today and that's why I didn't even watch. I'm kinda just waiting for the one week we win a game I assume we are gonna lose. Hasn't happened in forever
Not that it matters or will make you feel any better, but there is little difference between Bolin, their supposedly 3rd stringer, and the 2 guys (Jackson and Bonnafon) ahead of him on the depth chart. In fact, Bolin is supposed to start next week too when at least Jackson will be ready to play again.

Rocco said:

I actually felt relief.

I said way back earlier this year that I wanted SS to succeed - but if he didn't - I'd feel good about Coyle + ACC + IPF. Didn't know about Dome - but throw that in too.

Don't need to spend lots of energy defending them anymore as coaches. I do like a lot of what they are about and the culture they've helped create. Hiring Eric White was a great move.

I actually felt relief.

I said way back earlier this year that I wanted SS to succeed - but if he didn't - I'd feel good about Coyle + ACC + IPF. Didn't know about Dome - but throw that in too.

Don't need to spend lots of energy defending them anymore as coaches. I do like a lot of what they are about and the culture they've helped create. Hiring Eric White was a great move.
Good post. Now change your damn avatar:D

Anyone who is familiar with my posts, I think knows that I try to post positive things or keep my mouth shut. But here goes - Shafer had pretty much lost me when we couldn't at least split South Florida and Virginia. I'm far from an X's and O's expert, but even as a layman, the clock management issues, timeout issues and several 4th down decisions I just didn't agree were becoming way too frequent. I still don't understand that fake field goal yesterday that fooled nobody. Kirk Ferentz frustrated my dad and many other Iowa fans because they felt he was way too conservative at times. He is going crazy on 4th downs this year - they've converted 14-23. Obviously the aggressiveness doesn't pay off every time but it's paying off often enough for them.

Then leaving Dungey in there and his explanation afterwards were just too much for me. I thought Dungey should have been taken out after his second interception with 9:51 left in the fourth. I can't read his mind, but I could sense by Eric's reaction that his frustration level was understandably getting really high. I could be crazy but I thought it might do him so good to watch a drive or two to end the game with Mahoney running things while he was on the headsets watching from a different perspective with the coaches. He is a true freshman but hasn't had an opportunity to do that very much this season like most true freshmen. But then for him to get hurt in that situation just pushed me over the edge with Shafer. Shafer is a good guy but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I haven''t really said anything others haven't said, I just needed to vent a little.

Last edited:
MSOrange said:
Anyone who is familiar with my posts, I think knows that I try to post positive things or keep my mouth shut. But here goes - Shafer had pretty much lost me when we couldn't at least split South Florida and Virginia. I'm far from an X's and O's expert, but even as a layman, the clock management issues, timeout issues and several 4th down decisions I just didn't agree were becoming way too frequent. I still don't understand that fake field goal yesterday that fooled nobody. Kirk Ferentz frustrated my dad and many other Iowa fans because they felt he was way too conservative at times. He is going crazy on 4th downs this year - they've converted 14-23. Obviously the aggressiveness doesn't pay off every time but it's paying off often enough for them. Then leaving Dungey in there and his explanation afterwards were just too much for me. I thought Dungey should have been taken out after his second interception with 9:51 left in the fourth. I can't read his mind, but I could sense by Eric's reaction that his frustration level was understandably getting really high. I could be crazy but I thought it might do him so good to watch a drive or two to end the game with Mahoney running things while he was on the headsets watching from a different perspective with the coaches. He is a true freshman but hasn't had an opportunity to do that very much this season like most true freshmen. But then for him to get hurt in that situation just pushed me over the edge with Shafer. Shafer is a good guy but sometimes it just doesn't work. I haven''t really said anything others haven't said, I just needed to vent a little.

Good post.

Keeping Dungey in, and the explanation for it afterwords was Shafer's "I had too much on my plate" moment.

If Dungey's season is over, Shafer's job status will accompany it. Maybe not formally announced right away, but nothing a win over BC will save.

I actually felt relief.

Agree with these things entirely. That's why even though I've criticized a lot this year I wanted this staff to be successful. The whole McFckit saga didn't bother me, it's ok to hire someone you think will work and they don't work out. He got rid of him and didn't wait for the end of the season, I respected that a lot. But with so much on the line, not gauging interest in the OC position and just handing the reigns to Lester was a big deal to me even not knowing what the result would be. As Millhouse stated numbers times, coming from the Cubit tree was not the direction I was hoping for coming off a 3 - 9 season.

yes it probably does. he has done so, w/o a knee jerk response to poor coaching. he did so with the thought of player safety and program integrity, not wins or losses,or, who called a t/o, who called a fake punt etc.
he did this, as many of us old timers do, with sadness and remorse, but concern for the person. i could go on, but will not, i am from a different era, and,obviously, a different mind set

tipphill said:
yes it probably does. he has done so, w/o a knee jerk response to poor coaching. he did so with the thought of player safety and program integrity, not wins or losses,or, who called a t/o, who called a fake punt etc. he did this, as many of us old timers do, with sadness and remorse, but concern for the person. i could go on, but will not, i am from a different era, and,obviously, a different mind set

Yeah, baby boomer are known for selflessness and compassion. ;)

yes it probably does. he has done so, w/o a knee jerk response to poor coaching. he did so with the thought of player safety and program integrity, not wins or losses,or, who called a t/o, who called a fake punt etc.
he did this, as many of us old timers do, with sadness and remorse, but concern for the person. i could go on, but will not, i am from a different era, and,obviously, a different mind set

I was one of the biggest Shafer fans here, so there was no knee jerk reaction on my behalf. With that being said, some of the decision-making made by Shafer over the last few games, especially leaving in our prized freshman QB, have truly exhausted any defense he has for his job.

It's a shame to see him go because he is a great guy and really means well, but at the end of the day, he's not getting the job done. We need a change and I wish him nothing but the best.

I was one of the biggest Shafer fans here, so there was no knee jerk reaction on my behalf. With that being said, some of the decision-making made by Shafer over the last few games, especially leaving in our prized freshman QB, have truly exhausted any defense he has for his job.

It's a shame to see him go because he is a great guy and really means well, but at the end of the day, he's not getting the job done. We need a change and I wish him nothing but the best.
did not mean to imply you specifically just an obsevation over the season

elimunelson said:
i keep reading that SS is a great guy and I have no reason to dispute it. Wasn't Gerg as good a guy too?? I think this is the worst reason to retain someone. Dick Mac was a peach coaching the Patriots but I was ready to drive him to Syracuse w grade A dbag Parcells coming to town. HC is for the most part a sociopath. His good guy ways mean literally nothing to me. Wrong vocation if u ask me if that is a trait

I agree that it's the wrong reason to retain him 100%.

But being a guy with high character that actually cares about the kids and being a good coach are not mutually exclusive.

SS is not cut out to be a HC at this level, and he's simply not a good enough game day coach to succeed. This program needs someone more forward thinking and more able to capitalize on what works in college football these days. Get an offensive guru like Babers or whoever, pay him handsomely, and try to make some waves in the ACC. Clemson and FSU on another level, but there's no reason SU shouldn't be able to compete w/the Louisville, UNC, Pitt's and the rest of the next tier.

I did lose it, remote now in a million pieces. As I posted elsewhere not since '98 tn did I react that way

I haven't busted a remote in years. The last one was courtesy of Mr Deshaun Williams and I doubt I'm the only one on this board he made snap.

I did lose it, remote now in a million pieces. As I posted elsewhere not since '98 tn did I react that way

Makes sense. I drank about 20 beers to drown my sorrows. Just an calamity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom