Time for Scott to go | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time for Scott to go

Another thing that concerns me is that this team is totally healthy and they aren't improving at all as the season goes on. Yes there are a lot of young kids playing, but under staffs that develop talent they usually get better as the season goes on. That's just not happening here, and when you look at some of the older players and how they haven't improved it really makes you question his player development ability even more.

If Coyle is going to fire Shafer I would rather him do it sooner rather than later. That way we aren't scrambling to save the class and recruit kids days before signing day. We HAVE to make sure our young nucleus stays in board we can't afford to have young talent transfer out or lose kids like Moe Neal.

I was on the Shafer bandwagon until the the end of the past 2 first halves, he is a meathead football coach who obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes. The timeout at the end of the first half was ridiculous, the squib quick would never had happened if he ran the clock down. His in game decisions have been just bad. I really wanted him to succeed, but as anomander said above, we weren't supposed to be in rebuild mode, this was supposed to be a continuation of our 8-5 season. One thing this school cannot afford to do is be hamstrung by our coach. I'll stop rant here, there is a lot of wash, rinse, repeat going on here today.

Another thing that concerns me is that this team is totally healthy and they aren't improving at all as the season goes on. Yes there are a lot of young kids playing, but under staffs that develop talent they usually get better as the season goes on. That's just not happening here, and when you look at some of the older players and how they haven't improved it really makes you question his player development ability even more.

Exactly, where are the young Wrs and te's??? We have zero depth at either position yet are bringing almost zero recruits at either position. If Ishmael got hurt or god forbid left we would have zero div 1 receivers

The more I think about it, the more I think Coyle should cut ties at the end of the season. By keeping him it's just avoiding the inevitable. I don't ever seeing him out coaching anyone, and doing anything better then an occasional 6-8 win team. We obviously have some nice young talent, that yes he did recruit. The only problem is he can't get out of their way. You absolutely do not gift wrap a TD to FSU at their place. The decision to call those 2 timeouts at the end of the half only to squib kick was...well mind blowing. And that's after doing the same thing last week vs Pitt, which ultimately was the difference in the game.

Shafer just isn't a good Head Coach. Let's go out and get ourselves a real HC who can go out and maximize the young talent that we have coming up. This team has potential, but it's limited by HCSS. There are some very nice up and comers that we would have a very good shot at landing if we are serious about Football. Offering 2-3m would be good enough to get a very good HC that can give us a chance going forward.

I am trying to come up with Shafer's strengths, and all I have is his players play hard for him. That's a pretty big strength, but everything else is below average. People point to recruiting, but it's nothing that would make a difference. We are recruiting OK, but still near the bottom of the ACC. With our current resources, and young talent to sell, I actually think another coach could do a much better job that is currently being done.

Coyle is on the clock. The fanbase is sick and tired of losing. Shafer wasn't brought on to rebuild a program. He was kept on to keep the continuity from Marrrone's tenure, and to build onto what he started. Not only wwas that done, but all of Marrone's work has been demolished. We are basically at year 2 of a brand new rebuild. A new HC wouldn't come in and have to clean house, which would force another year to recruit. He would already have a roster that is ready to win, with a strong nucleus of very good, young, ACC level players. Now let's get a coach who can maximize their talent.

Sometimes people need OJT to make it on the next level. But I've seen this at work, people get promoted to a level that they just cannot handle and subsequently get fired. No difference here.

My gut watching Shafer especially panicking in his 3rd year as HC tells me that no amount of OJT is going to help.

Exactly, where are the young Wrs and te's??? We have zero depth at either position yet are bringing almost zero recruits at either position. If Ishmael got hurt or god forbid left we would have zero div 1 receivers

Needless to say my preseason prediction of a breakout season for Alvin Cornelius hasn't exactly panned out.

JeremyCuse said:
Don't be so sure, the pressure is mounting for a change and Coyle has the green light to make a move if he feels it's necessary from what I have been told.

A significant portion of an ABC broadcast was spent discussing his job status.

His job is obviously not safe.

The best things in his corner are the large number of vacancies and the Dome reno status/decision.

Why wait? Teams are cutting ties with coaches left and right at this time. We should also be one.
Because the program isn't That broken yet. The smart move if a move happens is wait till after the season get a guy talking then make the move bring in a new guy and try to minimize the recruiting loss. The problem is more then likely if a move is made the class will be small and we will lose players to transferring. We aren't at the grob moment, not even close.

Don't be so sure, the pressure is mounting for a change and Coyle has the green light to make a move if he feels it's necessary from what I have been told.
Happens this week?

A significant portion of an ABC broadcast was spent discussing his job status.

His job is obviously not safe.

The best things in his corner are the large number of vacancies and the Dome reno status/decision.

I think the Dome reno status helps the coach must go sentiment. If they're already on the hook for $100 mill, what's another couple of million in buyouts and salary boost for the next guy?

supp said:
I think the Dome reno status helps the coach must go sentiment. If they're already on the hook for $100 mill, what's another couple of million in buyouts and salary boost for the next guy?

But if it's next year I don't think they replace him now and start the new coach on the road for 12 games. They'd probably give Shafer a lame duck season and then make a move. Next guy gets a "new" stadium to help recruit.

What changed today that made you change your opinions on SS. We were always getting killed today. USF SAUTÉED us in Florida. This team is an uber version.

Let's be patient on SS. I was given that advice from the board insiders bc it doesn't matter he's here to AT LEAST December 2016

I really was on the "Shafer Stays" side of this argument, but the timeouts at the end of the half and that squib kick really have me questioning my position. He's not learning, it seems.

I am not in the fire Scott Shafer camp. After today, however, I think that if we lose our next game convincingly and then get embarrased at home against Clemson the fat lady will be singing over Scott's grave.

Bayside44 said:
He's not a CFB head coach, at least for us. He's a step back big time from the last guy. Greg Robinson was a nice guy too.
zero reasons to wait. Just a wasted year next year if they do. He gone!

anomander said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Coyle should cut ties at the end of the season. By keeping him it's just avoiding the inevitable. I don't ever seeing him out coaching anyone, and doing anything better then an occasional 6-8 win team. We obviously have some nice young talent, that yes he did recruit. The only problem is he can't get out of their way. You absolutely do not gift wrap a TD to FSU at their place. The decision to call those 2 timeouts at the end of the half only to squib kick was...well mind blowing. And that's after doing the same thing last week vs Pitt, which ultimately was the difference in the game. Shafer just isn't a good Head Coach. Let's go out and get ourselves a real HC who can go out and maximize the young talent that we have coming up. This team has potential, but it's limited by HCSS. There are some very nice up and comers that we would have a very good shot at landing if we are serious about Football. Offering 2-3m would be good enough to get a very good HC that can give us a chance going forward. I am trying to come up with Shafer's strengths, and all I have is his players play hard for him. That's a pretty big strength, but everything else is below average. People point to recruiting, but it's nothing that would make a difference. We are recruiting OK, but still near the bottom of the ACC. With our current resources, and young talent to sell, I actually think another coach could do a much better job that is currently being done. Coyle is on the clock. The fanbase is sick and tired of losing. Shafer wasn't brought on to rebuild a program. He was kept on to keep the continuity from Marrrone's tenure, and to build onto what he started. Not only wwas that done, but all of Marrone's work has been demolished. We are basically at year 2 of a brand new rebuild. A new HC wouldn't come in and have to clean house, which would force another year to recruit. He would already have a roster that is ready to win, with a strong nucleus of very good, young, ACC level players. Now let's get a coach who can maximize their talent.

I know one thing: making any choice about coaches based on a loss at team your not supposed to beat (who lost one conference game in three years) - is probably not an unemotional decision.

You may be right. Don't know. But now is probably the wrong time.

But if it's next year I don't think they replace him now and start the new coach on the road for 12 games. They'd probably give Shafer a lame duck season and then make a move. Next guy gets a "new" stadium to help recruit.

I could see that. I could also see Coyle and co. thinking that one more year will make the job less enticing to whomever they're trying to get. They can already sell the renovations to prospective coaches. It's just a year away. And a largely pressure-free all-road season for a first year coach isn't the worst way to ease yourself into a job. A nice fat paycheck will relieve any associated pain and you use that year to get the kids ready to inaugurate the new Dome in style.

There are so many coaching openings right now, who the heck do you think we will get ? Shafer has at least another year

There are so many coaching openings right now, who the heck do you think we will get ? Shafer has at least another year

Has there been a year in recent memory when there weren't around 20 openings in the FBS division? By that logic, we can never change the coach. We also can't assume that the programs that can out-bid us or out-fan us or out-facility us are going to wind up with the best choices.

There's a lot every year. Can't use that as an excuse. If coyle wants to make a change do it and spend money to outbid someone else for a coach. Look at it this way. Cuse has saved millions for years with jb. Time to invest that savings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom