Time for Scott to go | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Time for Scott to go

Rhule is my top choice. Unfortunately he will be the top choice of several schools. Shafer is auditioning for his job right now and Coyle cannot like what he sees as far as in game management.

I wonder is Doyle has any clout with Chris Peterson? It's not like Washington is a great job.

You are kidding right? I lived in Seattle for 3 years. That program is light years ahead of us in terms of facilities, fan support, recruiting base, university support. Peterson is a fantastic coach with a zillion better options than us

I've posted this before, and it's worth repeating.

Miami
Tallahassee
Atlanta
Clemson
Raleigh-Durham
Winston-Salem
Charlottesville
Blacksburg
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston
Syracuse

If an 18 year old kid had to pick an ACC city to live in for the next 4-5 years, Syracuse would be at the bottom of a lot of lists.

We're not in the South.
We don't have a rabid fan base.
At least Boston and Pittsburgh are major Northern cities.

Syracuse is meh.

And I've lived here for over 50 years.

Piss poor game management. Last nail in the proverbial coffin.
Yeah it was mostly that. But it was also getting called on it by an SU grad announcer. I also think folks are getting fed up with lousy tackling and consider that in large part to be a function of coaching. Today was my tipping point (though closing with several wins could turn me around) and I've been a HCSS guy.

You do realize that almost every school in the ACC has an IPF. All the IPF did was bring Syracuse up to the same level facility wise as many of our peer schools in the P5.
totally meaningless to my point. Which was that we finally have one so that alone would help our recruiting. Not that it gives us an edge. Just that finally, we have one. You do realize my point now, don't you?

Sorry, that is NOT a reason to not fire him. Plus there are guys we can get. There are guys who would LOVE to jump to a Power 5 conference with a brand new IPF to use as a recruiting tool who are probably making less money in their current job. Syracuse isn't a big name job, but its a better job than any MAC head coaching position and a better job than any coordinator position at a big school if the person is looking to jump to be a HC somewhere
It actually might be a reason. We want the right guy. If it means waiting a year, so be it. I don't want to fire a guy( like we did with P) and bring in a coach that isn't who we really want.

One thing I expect of a coach is to put the players in a position to perform their best. constantly putting this team in bad positions (end of the first half in the Pitt game and then again in the FL. St game) is not only hurting the orange, they are losing games because of it. Ill go back to the Central Mich game, where Syracuse got a big sack with the clock running and no timeouts for Central Mich. What happens next? Syracuse calls timeout to make sure the players are in the right position. Of course we promptly gave up a 50 yard td pass to tie the game. Syracuse allowed Central Mich to get direction from their coaching staff and design a couple plays and it worked to perfection. A terrible squib kick last week set up pitt for a field goal to end the half (and cuse lost by 3!). Now I will go back to my main point, I expect a coach to put players in position to perform their best. Why put Norton in the exact same position after also calling a timeout to keep more time on the clock for florida state. I just do not understand the decisions this staff makes when it comes to managing a football game. I want to believe that coach shafer can change things but I just do not see it happening. Go Orange

Exactly, where are the young Wrs and te's??? We have zero depth at either position yet are bringing almost zero recruits at either position. If Ishmael got hurt or god forbid left we would have zero div 1 receivers
The Depth that SU used to have now starts for UB/Rutgers and UConn, SU used to have good success in parts of Pa (SouthEast) and Philly,Connecticut, and New Jersey the above mentioned Schools have taken the advantage away. If you want to succeed at SU
You don't need Boise/Fresno State West Coast types who leave at the 1st new offer .you need a Coach that can succeed in the East from the East maybe from DIII or II. and you still need Power Football and a Fullback inside the Red Zone.

Miami
Tallahassee
Atlanta
Clemson
Raleigh-Durham
Winston-Salem
Charlottesville
Blacksburg
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston
Syracuse

If an 18 year old kid had to pick an ACC city to live in for the next 4-5 years, Syracuse would be at the bottom of a lot of lists.

We're not in the South.

Syracuse is meh.

This is exactly the reason why we must have a sharp coaching staff. We will never out recruit some ACC programs, we can't afford "meathead" coaching...

anomander said:
Not supposed to win sure, but how about be competitive? This game was over after the 1st quarter. Why was Wake, Miami, BC all competitive the for the whole game vs FSU, and we can't be? Not to mention they played them with Golson, and Cook.

We were down one TD with 56 seconds left. So not really accurate.

I have no idea why other teams were. It's not a good look. I wonder if Golson is the guy no big fwd for them. But I don't think during a game or after a game is a good time to evaluate.

The Depth that SU used to have now starts for UB/Rutgers and UConn, SU used to have good success in parts of Pa (SouthEast) and Philly,Connecticut, and New Jersey the above mentioned Schools have taken the advantage away. If you want to succeed at SU
You don't need Boise/Fresno State West Coast types who leave at the 1st new offer .you need a Coach that can succeed in the East from the East maybe from DIII or II. and you still need Power Football and a Fullback inside the Red Zone.

We aren't playing too many northeastern teams in the cold and the snow like in the 1950s. We need to recruit to play in a Dome and in southeastern football stadiums. I'll take my chances with BC in November.

Harsin. See their game today? Like a video game of excitement. Put people in seats. Take advantage of perfect conditions. Talent will come. If u can recruit to Boise in their conference can recruit anywhere
I 90 goes through Idaho. Easy drive!

You made such a good point about how talent is being spread out, and then followed that up with a horrible point about coaching and style.

Some people say recruiting is so much better under Shafer, but looking at FSU's talent compared to ours, it's clearly no where near good enough.

Miami
Tallahassee
Atlanta
Clemson
Raleigh-Durham
Winston-Salem
Charlottesville
Blacksburg
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston
Syracuse

We're not in the South.

Syracuse is meh.

True, but we're within driving distance of NYC, have a Dome and a lot of famous alumni? Not going to bring up tradition because that stuff is ancient.

Who would predict 4 head coaches in what 12 seasons after pasqualoni left? We are just as guilty as the coaches if it happens. Its our job as fans to get the ship steered right, if we are going to judge them. Maybe a word of advice from a old coach, NFL player or two.

If we were going to go that way head coaches should get a 5 year contract maybe, with the only exception being not being able to keep his players in line.

Got to say Shafer and Marrone have got class kids for the most part and kept them in line on and off the field.

I suggest this guy for football chairman. He has the balls to take care of stuff.

christie-gop-forum.jpg

Last edited:
I think after today I've swung over to the dark side. And I'm not happy about it. But it is what it is at this point. :(

MaxwellCuse said:
I am not in the fire Scott Shafer camp. After today, however, I think that if we lose our next game convincingly and then get embarrased at home against Clemson the fat lady will be singing over Scott's grave.

If we get embarrassed against Clemson? I think that may be a forgone conclusion...

The more I think about it, the more I think Coyle should cut ties at the end of the season. By keeping him it's just avoiding the inevitable. I don't ever seeing him out coaching anyone, and doing anything better then an occasional 6-8 win team. We obviously have some nice young talent, that yes he did recruit. The only problem is he can't get out of their way. You absolutely do not gift wrap a TD to FSU at their place. The decision to call those 2 timeouts at the end of the half only to squib kick was...well mind blowing. And that's after doing the same thing last week vs Pitt, which ultimately was the difference in the game.

Shafer just isn't a good Head Coach. Let's go out and get ourselves a real HC who can go out and maximize the young talent that we have coming up. This team has potential, but it's limited by HCSS. There are some very nice up and comers that we would have a very good shot at landing if we are serious about Football. Offering 2-3m would be good enough to get a very good HC that can give us a chance going forward.

I am trying to come up with Shafer's strengths, and all I have is his players play hard for him. That's a pretty big strength, but everything else is below average. People point to recruiting, but it's nothing that would make a difference. We are recruiting OK, but still near the bottom of the ACC. With our current resources, and young talent to sell, I actually think another coach could do a much better job that is currently being done.

Coyle is on the clock. The fanbase is sick and tired of losing. Shafer wasn't brought on to rebuild a program. He was kept on to keep the continuity from Marrrone's tenure, and to build onto what he started. Not only wwas that done, but all of Marrone's work has been demolished. We are basically at year 2 of a brand new rebuild. A new HC wouldn't come in and have to clean house, which would force another year to recruit. He would already have a roster that is ready to win, with a strong nucleus of very good, young, ACC level players. Now let's get a coach who can maximize their talent.
I truly can't stand to listen to this garbage, where in my opinion so many have no insight. Trust This coach will overcome this and Coyle knows what he is dealing with. He will have an extension. How does that make you feel. Well it makes those who know feel tremendously well. He just needs to keep the outsiders just that, out.

I truly can't stand to listen to this garbage, where in my opinion so many have no insight. Trust This coach will overcome this and Coyle knows what he is dealing with. He will have an extension. How does that make you feel. Well it makes those who know feel tremendously well. He just needs to keep the outsiders just that, out.

Then the administration best not cry when there are 15,000 bodies in the Dome against BC and probably about that many in next year's opener. Until the team starts winning, the fan base will stay away regardless of what Coyle does for outreach.

If you think Shafer is getting an extension after this season you are living in an alternate universe.

Is this a coherent thought?

Lol, is this real?

Needless to say my preseason prediction of a breakout season for Alvin Cornelius hasn't exactly panned out.
Its time to take the preseason depth chart, and burn it, Cornelius, and Avant shouldn't play another down. We are through 8 games, and the 2 of them have 7 catches combined. There is no way that Lester can think that is acceptable. The only DB that has shown he should play is Cordy, the rest miss tackles, and are continually out of position. Ellison on special teams has people try to run away from him, get him on the field, he makes things happen. Brisly is a good return man, but the only thing he brings as a WR is speed. He doesn't run good routes, and as the play by play guy said he quits on plays.

Miami
Tallahassee
Atlanta
Clemson
Raleigh-Durham
Winston-Salem
Charlottesville
Blacksburg
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston
Syracuse

We're not in the South.

Syracuse is meh.

I appreciate what you are trying to say, but the kids aren't choosing to live in Tipp Hill or Cicero. They are choosing a football program and a university.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom