Time to Break The Glass on Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Time to Break The Glass on Patterson

There is going to be a game where foul trouble will result in us having a line-up that doesn't have anyone over 6'6" on the floor. That will be a problem. Factor in the fact that must of that small line-up will also consist of guys who can't shoot....major problem.

There is going to be a game where foul trouble will result in us having a line-up that doesn't have anyone over 6'6" on the floor. That will be a problem. Factor in the fact that must of that small line-up will also consist of guys who can't shoot...major problem.
Doubt it. He doesnt fill benny's role so why bother burning his redshirt.
Carey will probably play some at the 4 or Malik will. Either way, if Hima can't play because of knees, that leaves 8 guys. There are still a lot of games left, you can't push those guys until someone else gets injured. Patterson grew up playing basketball in NYC, can't believe he wouldn't be able to play 5 minutes a half and not be lost on the floor. Maybe in an ideal world, he would have redshirted, but this isn't an ideal world.

Carey will probably play some at the 4 or Malik will. Either way, if Hima can't play because of knees, that leaves 8 guys. There are still a lot of games left, you can't push those guys until someone else gets injured. Patterson grew up playing basketball in NYC, can't believe he wouldn't be able to play 5 minutes a half and not be lost on the floor. Maybe in an ideal world, he would have redshirted, but this isn't an ideal world.
Malik hasnt played the four for a single minute this season, he isnt playing the 4 anytime soon.

Malik hasnt played the four for a single minute this season, he isnt playing the 4 anytime soon.
Not sure about that. The numbers crunch has changed dramatically for us.

Redshirt means nothing anymore. We haven't had a senior day in 20 years so what difference does it make? If he just isn't capable at all...that's another story.

He’s playing the 5 until he fouls out. They’ll split “4” minutes between JT, Bell and Cope with Cuff filling in as emergency 2 while JJ shifts to the 3. Im not saying it is smart, but that’s what we’re looking at

That's because Benny was getting those minutes. Don't you think opposing coaches can see that Syracuse only has 2 guys over 6'6" and will try to get those guys in foul trouble by forcing the ball down low?

Possibly. Not sure trying to feed Maliq more minutes is a given. I thought he was much more effective coming off the bench backing up 7'4. Can he effectively play 35 minutes a game. Plus, I don't think Maliq figures in when splitting up Benny's minutes. Carey might. Or JT, Bell or Quaddy. Now would be the right time for a little more consistency from one of them.

That's because Benny was getting those minutes. Don't you think opposing coaches can see that Syracuse only has 2 guys over 6'6" and will try to get those guys in foul trouble by forcing the ball down low?
Not sure how having two of those guys on the floor at the same time (Carey and Brown) will make it any less likely for them to get fouls, so not sure where patterson fits in. Could he play in crunch time, idk maybe? But i dont see it happening.

Great idea. Let's deviate from the plan and burn a year of eligibility to save a year that's already a lost cause. Not to mention there's a reason he's redshirting. Yikes.
When the plan was first put in place we had five centers plus Benny who has briefly played the 5. Now, Naheem, Hima (I guess) and Benny are gone. I can't believe I am asking this, but what would you do.

When the plan was first put in place we had five centers plus Benny who has briefly played the 5. Now, Naheem, Hima (I guess) and Benny are gone. I can't believe I am asking this, but what would you do.
Not waste a year eligibility on a player who's at least a year away and won't change the trajectory of the season.

As the way things are going now days with the portal, why worry about redshirting a player? How many will actually stay 4 years to get maximum use from a player? Find out his real potential ability to play at this level asap. If he can play or shows the potential then fine. Doing both the program and the kid a favor.

People severely underestimate the talent level in upper D1 basketball. C'mon, man. Funnily enough, most of the same people severely underestimate the talent level in the NBA.
He grew up in Brooklyn. I'm sure with his height he has been playing against bigger and older guys his whole life at the playgrounds.

As the way things are going now days with the portal, why worry about redshirting a player? How many will actually stay 4 years to get maximum use from a player? Find out his real potential ability to play at this level asap. If he can play or shows the potential then fine. Doing both the program and the kid a favor.
Exactly. And if Clemson comes in and force feeds the post and gets Malik and Carey on the bench, they will have to play him anyway.

Next season we'll hopefully have a Portal C plus McLeod and Carey back, maybe Hima but maybe not. So in a best-case scenario, Patterson is the third big off the bench next year, so I don't see the harm in playing him down the stretch IF we lose 2 of the next 3 to drive the final stake through our at-large chances.

I believe Patterson could still RS next season if we play him this year, but I imagine he'd just portal if it came to that. Maybe I'm just down on his potential to be a high-impact piece on a good Cuse team after seeing so many similar types only get minutes because we played an outdated system, but I just don't think it makes a difference either way. There's never a shortage of tall guys with no muscle. Has he put on any weight since he got to campus?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom