Tired of All the CJ Criticism..... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tired of All the CJ Criticism.....

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. He was asked to do too much because we had an unbalanced team and it was compounded because he was given no rest. CJ is at his best when he can let the game come to him.
How much rest did he have in the Duke game or at FSU when he had arguably his two best games of the year?

No those weren't the cards we were dealt. Those were the cards the Coach chose to play. We had two potential 3 point threats on the bench who never saw the light of day.

But they shot terribly early, to get time with jb the best way is to come in and grab it, the performance wasnt there.

I don't like criticism of the play of any player that is trying to do his best or is not being payed millions. But if you feel you can criticize any, then I guess you can criticize CJ.

CJ had a bad game. It happens. He clearly had his looks. Didn't finish. That's really on him.

I hate to say it, but Cooney IMO is a recruiting miss. There is no 2 guard since maybe Marius that we would trade for him. And this is a major, major problem.

JB is a bright guy, he gets the team down to the final minute to win or lose. I still dont think anyone whoops us regardless of seed moving forward.

CJ had a bad game. It happens. He clearly had his looks. Didn't finish. That's really on him.

I hate to say it, but Cooney IMO is a recruiting miss. There is no 2 guard since maybe Marius that we would trade for him. And this is a major, major problem.

JB is a bright guy, he gets the team down to the final minute to win or lose. I still dont think anyone whoops us regardless of seed moving forward.

OTOH, Deshaun Williams, Tony Bland, McCroskey...

OTOH, Deshaun Williams, Tony Bland, McCroskey...

Deshaun the BB player, as opposed to the person, would be a huge addition to this team.

My *itch is and has been all season that we will never know what might have been because the Coach did not develop his bench and give those kids + Roberson an opportunity.

Maybe, Patterson isn't a good trey shooter, but I doubt he would be below 25%, not to mention that maybe he could dribble drive & help break a D down. I have seen so little of BJ it makes me cringe, but the kid seems to have a smooth stroke. A little confidence and a bit of strength work and maybe he could have come on.

Regardless, could the two of them have played any worse then the Cooney-G combo that we are forced to watch ???
Patterson is a poor shooter.

I hope SU never has another player like MeShaun Williams. He was 100x worse than Fr. year Dion.

One other point. Many top 20 teams have role players who are used for specific functions. I am admittedly not at practices but I'd have to wonder why Patterson can't be used for defensive purposes, or Roberson can't be the guy who gets touches with CJ getting a brief rest. Not saying SU should roll out a Gbinijie/Patterson/Roberson/Johnson/Keita unit, but mixing those guys in during the 1st half of games would have been interesting to see.

We know that most freshmen have limitations in their game, but it would be nice if top 100 recruits would actually get some run.

I love CJ. He had a terrific season.

Just because he had one bad game he shouldn't be the fall guy.

The real fall guys play 2G, C, and Coach.

The 2gs and the Cs by and large haven't got the job done since conference play started.

The Coach is the one who had CJ playing with his tongue hanging out.

And speaking about the Coach - he is still playing w fire. Playing Jerami all 40 minutes when the kid is one twist away from having his season end ??? Backs get fatigued if you over stress them. Rest is needed. Mark my words, if we are lucky enough to win 2 or 3 games in the Dance and Jerami plays close to 40 MPG - it will come to a bad end.

I don't know that his season has been THAT terrific, but I do think prior to our losing streak regardless of how he was playing most of the game, he was playing fantastically down the stretch in close games. That started in Maui. Now, if he's having a bad game, he seems to finish up just as badly.

That's about the only difference I see with him.

I know JB always says he didn't run plays for CJ last year but I remember them running a few for him last year. They ran the cross screen at the elbow where he would wheel off them going left either catching the ball at the foul line for a jumper or continue toward the hoop for a lay-up... That was a very successful play for him that they completely no longer run. They also would run a play where he would catch it foul line extended and get a single pick at the foul line going to his left. When he would catch the ball in those situations he was in his comfort zone... Mid range. He didn't have to put the ball on the floor more than 1 or 2 dribbles to be effective. This year he is receiving the ball too far away from the basket. Last year he kept it simple and effective, where this year teams are forcing him further from the basket and closing the space to force him into a much more difficult jumper. I'd like to see him work better off the ball and catch it closer to the hoop like last year than have him isolate the whole game off the baseline double.

Last edited:
Love the kid, but he was awful last night, but with that said, the real blame is on Cooney, he needs to wake up and start playing better.

We shouldn't have to rely on Cj being great every game.

Did you watch our Cs play last night? It's gotten to the point that SU fans expect zero productivity out of the position. it's tough playing 4 on 5 every night.

I agree that CJ, (and KJ before him) are better in 5 on 5 than trying to be Carmelo.

CJ last year: 34.8m 16.7p 8.0r 0.8a 1.3s 1.2b 28.0+ 7.0mfg 1.1mft 1.8to 1.8pf 11.7- = 16.3NP 8.6OE 7.7FG
CJ this year: 37.9m 17.6p 6.5r 1.4a 1.4s 0.8b 27.7+ 9.0mfg 1.2mft 2.5to 2.2pf 14.9- = 12.8NP 7.4OE 5.4FG

Analysis: CJ is actually scoring more this year than last but he's missing a lot more shots. He's not rebounding nearly as much, probably because he's taking more outside jump shots. The lack of rebounds also means fewer easy put-backs. He actually has more assists, but not by a lot. He has more turnovers, although his turnover rate has declined from earlier in the year. He has more negatives so his net point average is considerably down. But it's actually his floor game that has suffered the most due to the dip in rebounding.

Did you watch our Cs play last night? It's gotten to the point that SU fans expect zero productivity out of the position. it's tough playing 4 on 5 every night.

I did, I am not excusing them, but Cooney needs to start hitting more shots.

The 2gs and the Cs by and large haven't got the job done since conference play started.

And speaking about the Coach - he is still playing w fire. Playing Jerami all 40 minutes when the kid is one twist away from having his season end ??? Backs get fatigued if you over stress them. Rest is needed. Mark my words, if we are lucky enough to win 2 or 3 games in the Dance and Jerami plays close to 40 MPG - it will come to a bad end.

ummm...just one bad game.

he was 2-13 against St. Francis. .154 shooting%

5-17 against California. .294 %

5-14 E. Michigan .357%

4-13 B.C. .308

4-14 Wake Forrest .286

2-13 N.D. .154%

N.C. State 5-16 .313%

B.C. 7-23 .304

Va. 4-13 .304%

N.C. State 3-16 .188%

in his first 11 games of the season C.J. had 8 games where he shot over 50%

in his last 21 games he has shot over 50% 4 times.

The kid was run into the ground by a hall of fame coach and don't think for a second the NBA will not notice this as he does wear down during a low 30's game season vs. a 80 game season

I know JB always says he didn't run plays for CJ last year but I remember them running a few for him last year. They ran the cross screen at the elbow where he would wheel off them going left either catching the ball at the foul line for a jumper or continue toward the hoop for a lay-up... That was a very successful play for him that they completely no longer run. They also would run a play where he would catch it foul line extended and get a single pick at the foul line going to his left. When he would catch the ball in those situations he was in his comfort zone... Mid range. He didn't have to put the ball on the floor more than 1 or 2 dribbles to be effective. This year he is receiving the ball too far away from the basket. Last year he kept it simple and effective, where this year teams are forcing him further from the basket and closing the space to force him into a much more difficult jumper. I'd like to see him work better off the ball and catch it closer to the hoop like last year than have him isolate the whole game off the baseline double.

Good points. Yeah, he is more effective closer to the basket. Less dribbling and more efficient. Kinda painful watching him dribble around near the 3 point line deciding what to do.

I agree that CJ, (and KJ before him) are better in 5 on 5 than trying to be Carmelo.

CJ last year: 34.8m 16.7p 8.0r 0.8a 1.3s 1.2b 28.0+ 7.0mfg 1.1mft 1.8to 1.8pf 11.7- = 16.3NP 8.6OE 7.7FG
CJ this year: 37.9m 17.6p 6.5r 1.4a 1.4s 0.8b 27.7+ 9.0mfg 1.2mft 2.5to 2.2pf 14.9- = 12.8NP 7.4OE 5.4FG

Analysis: CJ is actually scoring more this year than last but he's missing a lot more shots. He's not rebounding nearly as much, probably because he's taking more outside jump shots. The lack of rebounds also means fewer easy put-backs. He actually has more assists, but not by a lot. He has more turnovers, although his turnover rate has declined from earlier in the year. He has more negatives so his net point average is considerably down. But it's actually his floor game that has suffered the most due to the dip in rebounding.

I think he is rebounding less because he is playing w Jerami up front rather than with Southy, so his rebounding role has been reduced.

Why is it necessary to affix "blame?" Blame for what, exactly? Does blaming somebody mean there's an easy solution? Does anyone think they haven't been trying? I don't think so. So my favorite team isn't playing very well, actually none of 'em, to be really honest. So what? That's just the way it is right now. Yes, I'm disappointed some, but I don't need to blame anybody.

And when I'm in Syracuse this fall, I'm gonna pick out the most orange sweatshirt I can find. :)

Last edited:
how does that explain the erratic ball-handling and defense, and lack of passing?

Because he's trying too hard to step up and be the main option, or the first look? Good for him. For on a consistent basis, no one else has really tried. Yes I know there are different reasons why, but I don't have any difficulty with what CJ Fair has given this year. None.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom