To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

To increase attendance to home games and seeing only about

Because you haven't been painting all students with a pretty broad brush. Sometimes I think people are just on this site to post the most ridiculous things for people to respond to them..

And it appears I've fallen into your trap.

images

YES... support the team or lose it.

Tell that to Alabama then Alabama punishes students for leaving early

I get the sentiment.. I would LOVE for all the students to go to football games and stay the entire time. Ticketing for football is a joke. Free tickets to freshman on multiple occasions, $20 gets you the whole season if you buy basketball ... do you see how little the university values student football attendance? The NYS fair brings in over a million each year and if someone just gave me tickets, as opposed to me buying them, there isn't a great value in going.

I think there is SO much that can be done with student ticketing (i.e. a rewards program) but SU doesn't care. "Just give tickets out free and if they come, great!"

This thread is getting weird. Kids get trashed and go to football games. Either before or during. Good students or bad students. I think it is safe to say that it is the majority too. Doesn't necessarily correlate to getting work done or not nor does it make him/her a bad kid. It's college. I visited and almost went to Rice. No Greek life there. I saw things there that I shouldn't even talk about. It's college.

Last edited:
I'm calm, Blizz. No worries. And I wasn't "all" business. Just business first. My gripe with these kids is the binge aspect, their ages and the missing priorities. I have no idea whether they had their work done ... (I have my doubts). But I appreciate your POV.
Your good. I wish everyone went about their exchanges with as much good humor and restraint. I would admit to having the same impulses when it comes to these youngsters, and have been quick and shameless in bashing them. But I can't help casting off the adult and put on the same outlook I had as a kid. We forget that making mistakes and wasting our time is an important part of maturing and gaining that same perspective that we cling to as we get older. I also think everyone would live fuller lives if being a dumb kid who's figuring life out and just trying to have some fun was accepted, celebrated, and likewise embraced for what it is: inevitable.

Now LSU is starting to complain about their student section and the school is now selling remaining seats below book value to get their fans to show up......the heat is getting to them.

Students who choose to pass on attending football games is not strictly an SU problem. It's a football problem.

Students who choose to pass on attending football games is not strictly an SU problem. It's a football problem.
Students should support their fellow students who play on the field. While I agree that losing football is the cause of their absence, it should not be that way IMO. They are out partying with football and SU logo shirts on game day. Just walk over the the dome and watch the game too!

I see complaints about the students' not showing up on every board I visit. And it's not just a football problem - there are similar complaints every year on the Johns Hopkins thread on Laxp0wer.

We all love football, but my guess is that going to a SU Fball game is not the "cool" thing to do right now for SU students. And when you are 18-22, it is ALL ABOUT what is seen as cool. If (When) they start putting up big numbers and having exciting games, maybe it can turn into the "cool" thing again. Bball sure is.

Just saying if I were 18-20 and I had an option of going to one of those parties on a gorgeous day or going into a hot as b*lls dome and not being able to drink, I'd prob take the party option as well. That's just the way it is these days.

We all love football, but my guess is that going to a SU Fball game is not the "cool" thing to do right now for SU students. And when you are 18-22, it is ALL ABOUT what is seen as cool. If (When) they start putting up big numbers and having exciting games, maybe it can turn into the "cool" thing again. Bball sure is.

Just saying if I were 18-20 and I had an option of going to one of those parties on a gorgeous day or going into a hot as b*lls dome and not being able to drink, I'd prob take the party option as well. That's just the way it is these days.
Some are raised playing video games all day too...just saying

I would do both the party and the game. That's what I did in the early 80s when SU was not that good. I recall a great tailgate party for the Rutgers game in '84. They lost that one. Was awful. Had a blast before, during, and after the game. Of course, the next week they beat Nebraska...a game that was supposed to be a laugher.

The students don't come because of the 1 beer wristband ridiculousness. IF you're 21, you should be able to spend your money as you'd like. If you're under 21, give 'em a wristband.

Give students a meal voucher and free drink since they apparently have to pay for their tickets.

Love the meal voucher idea. Its kissing their asses after the already dirt cheap package to attend ALL hoops AND FB games. The kids are seriously lame. Yes, the North of 21s should be allowed to drink at will in the dome. Thing is, they are TV whores. They saw the ESPN and big ABC games in HS. They see these first few games are on ACCN and they blow it off. So they will be there for Clemson, pitt, and thats probably it. Sad.

Tell that to Alabama then Alabama punishes students for leaving early

I get the sentiment.. I would LOVE for all the students to go to football games and stay the entire time. Ticketing for football is a joke. Free tickets to freshman on multiple occasions, $20 gets you the whole season if you buy basketball ... do you see how little the university values student football attendance? The NYS fair brings in over a million each year and if someone just gave me tickets, as opposed to me buying them, there isn't a great value in going.

I think there is SO much that can be done with student ticketing (i.e. a rewards program) but SU doesn't care. "Just give tickets out free and if they come, great!"
The fair gives away tickets all the time.
The students pay 6OK to go to school. Attendance at any school event should be free.

To those complaining about students: maybe everyone else should fill the Dome before people complain about the students showing up.

Proportionally the student section is as empty as the rest of the joint. Not sure why adults here continue to pick on them.

Why? Bc prob over 50% of the fanbase, and thats an ultra conservative number, makes a drive to the dome. I make a 2 hr from Albany, spend 600 on seasons, stay over 2 or 3 times. Pay for rooms, food, booze. Hey, most of us do. I get it. Heck , even if you live in Cuse and pick specific games, you pay for parking, some fun and gating pregame. All said, conservatively, $100/game. Travel and time invested not even considered. As a student, with a 330 kick, the ridiculously cheap student tix package for hoops and FB, and being 100 feet from the dome ? SORRY,not hearing excuses.

Why? Bc prob over 50% of the fanbase, and thats an ultra conservative number, makes a drive to the dome. I make a 2 hr from Albany, spend 600 on seasons, stay over 2 or 3 times. Pay for rooms, food, booze. Hey, most of us do. I get it. Heck , even if you live in Cuse and pick specific games, you pay for parking, some fun and gating pregame. All said, conservatively, $100/game. Travel and time invested not even considered. As a student, with a 330 kick, the ridiculously cheap student tix package for hoops and FB, and being 100 feet from the dome ? SORRY,not hearing excuses.

Why do you care? You enjoy going, right? So enjoy it and stop worrying about what 19 year olds do with their time.

Why do you care? You enjoy going, right? So enjoy it and stop worrying about what 19 year olds do with their time.

Excuse me, this is just a relaxed discussion about attendance. I will always enjoy going , but seeing the student section less than 50% capacity for a 330 kick is depressing and should be alarming for the powers that be. Over time, there will be a discussion about opening up at least some of those seats to non students. Sometimes its about supply/demand. The students know they can arrive whenever and have a seat somewhere. Isnt like that at other schools. Light a fire under their bums and make them worry about a seat. Attendance is an interesting discussion on sports.

I would do both the party and the game. That's what I did in the early 80s when SU was not that good. I recall a great tailgate party for the Rutgers game in '84. They lost that one. Was awful. Had a blast before, during, and after the game. Of course, the next week they beat Nebraska...a game that was supposed to be a laugher.
I watched that game with a Nebraska fan at my house. Game was on USA Network IIRC...I had it on my TV. He didn't get USA at his place. He told me he would be nice when the game got out of hand. He was very quiet in the second half.

Because there's a huge void of prime seats mostly vacant. Otto's Army is one and a half rows deep. Not a good look on TV and why would a player want to commit to Cuse seeing the students don't care. They would rather get stupid on frat row.

Because there's a huge void of prime seats mostly vacant. Otto's Army is one and a half rows deep. Not a good look on TV and why would a player want to commit to Cuse seeing the students don't care. They would rather get stupid on frat row.
There are huge voids of prime seats vacant that aren't assigned to students too. A packed student section doesn't solve the attendance issues that the program is facing. The duty here is on the school's end - its their duty to create an event and environment that will attract people, it is not the students/fans duty to attend the game. Some choose to on a regular basis and that is great, those that don't, that is their call, and the school needs to do a deep dive as to why rather than settle for the tired - and what I think eventually prove untrue - cop out "if they win they will come".

Maybe the school can pay students to go to games like work study?

People are getting bent outta shape over attendance for a couple of mid major and worse schools. Crowds aren't great for hoop games against similar opponents.
You have 6-7 home games versus 20 hoops games. There is a difference...I understand a light crowd for Friday night not Saturday afternoon.

You have 6-7 home games versus 20 hoops games. There is a difference...I understand a light crowd for Friday night not Saturday afternoon.

4 hours verses 2. If we have a competitive team and then they aren't showing for bigger conference games then maybe an issue.

There's been a boatload of turbulence around football. Steady ship and win some and people come. And when the dome isn't like a popcorn popper it's gonna help.

They're not shown on TV much. For some reason we shoot the opposing sideline and get a constant view of non-student seating silver.

I don't see any demand for those prime seats. There are thousands between the 40s that go unsold every week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom