To Quote Dalton from Roadhouse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

To Quote Dalton from Roadhouse

Don't pull that crap on me.
My response may have been a little bit harsh, I admit.

I don’t remember McNabb being three yards away from a first down reaching over a defender with the ball in one hand and losing control of it.

The Liberty win was fools gold...we had a brand new coach coaching upstairs from a friggin hospital bed. Liberty today very likely could beat us.

lmao... but we were keeping the gameplan vanilla!

"It will get worse before it gets better"

But I am here to say - it will eventually get much better.

There are a couple of rules that should be applied every pre-season:

(1) If you have freshman playing on the offensive line, you will not have a good team. Add 3 losses for each freshman and 2 losses for each sophomore starting on the O-Line.

(2) Lack of talent and depth at DT combined with poor linebacker play will lead to historic rushing yardage no matter how good the secondary and DE's are and no matter how much the box is stacked with run-blitzing defenders. Scheme does not matter.

(3) Any time you say "if we can get good offensive line play" in the preseason, it is going to be a long year. It struck me that when a friend ran into Dino during the summer - he said he really hoped that this team could get to 6 wins. Seems that he saw this coming - though not to this extent.

This is a good case study in football at any level. Without good offensive line play - nothing else matters - even one bad offensive lineman can sink an entire group (e.g., Erik Flowers with the NY Giants). You can have Aaron Rogers, throwing to Randy Moss and handing the ball to Jim Brown and it will not matter.

In 1999 we rolled into the Orange Bowl with McNabb, Konrad, Kevin Johnson, Spotwood, Mo Jackson, Dee Brown, McIntosh, Mungro, Bullock, Greenwood, Will Allen. That team averaged 40 ppg during the season but could not move the ball against a Gator defense that featured Jevon Kearse due to an inability to block the front 4. With 5 NFL skill position players on the roster, we only had 260 yards of offense prior to garbage time in the last few minutes of the 4Q.

I view our problems as five-fold:

(1) The offensive line issues are catastrophic and unfixable this year. Losing Conway, Martin and Roberts devastated the line and it was clear in spring practice and the fall. This is a case of being physically overmatched at 3 spots on the line which is leading to compounding mental mistakes. It will only get worse from here on out.

(2) Dino's offense is easy to defend without the power run game and without Dungey as a multi-faceted power and speed run threat. Lots of 3 person lines and a flood of defenders 7 yards off the line are making it really hard for Devito to identify the conflict defender on the RPO while also taking away the WR screens. You have to churn out 6-7 ypc all day against this type of front. We have become a pre-snap RPO offensive as opposed to a post-snap RPO offense, the later of which is what the Baylor model was based on.

(3) McKinley Williams is the only true interior every-down DT on the roster. Black is a tweener and the others are playing out of position and are not every down ACC players. I have never seen an interior defensive line be dominated quite as badly as I did today

(4) Mikel Jones is the only ACC caliber linebacker on the field for Syracuse - and on a normal team he should not be seeing the field on a consistent basis until he is a redshirt sophomore.

(5) Given that we will typically be overmatched on the lines against the upper echelon of the ACC, we will eventually need to recruit a running quarterback on the roster.

Now for the positives:

There is talent on this football team.
  • I do believe that DeVito is the right quarterback to lead this team and still believe that we could be looking at a 10+ win season during his senior year. I am a huge believer in his arm talent - he cannot be judged playing behind this offensive line
  • Benson and Jordan will be stars during their careers at Syracuse
  • Jones and Kponga have all-ACC talent
  • Courtney Jackson and Cam Jordan will be impact players next year and upgrades over Riley and Johnson
  • The young players in the secondary are talented notwithstanding the issues this year and will continue to develop
  • We have good depth at DE to replace Robinson and Coleman
Now none of this will matter unless the massive deficiencies at the offensive line and defensive lines are fixed immediately and the coaching staff does a major internal reassessment. I believe the following steps must happen - and if they do - the team can get back on track quickly in the days of transfer portals and effective free agency.

(1) Dino needs to bring in at least 3 upper-class transfers on the offensive line. He needs a true center and two offensive tackles. I have high hopes for Vetorello and Bergeron but believe that their natural positions will be at guard where they can compete with Davis next year for PT. Red will be a good player too - but each of Red, Vetorello and Bergeron are still two years away from being ACC-ready starting caliber lineman.

(2) Dino needs to hit the transfer portal and JC ranks hard for nose tackles. We need size, depth and space eaters that can simply hold their position. McKinley can play the one-gap and Black can play in the rotation. It does not matter if these lineman are incapabale of rushing the pass rusher - if they are hard to move - they will improve our D-line tremendously.

(3) Dino needs to bring in an external offensive mind to bring new ideas to his program. While the line play has really made it hard to judge the scheme, we need more sophistication in our run blocking and read-option game as we are a country mile away from where we were in the final year of the Doug Marrone era.

(4) We need a deep threat WR to replace the threat that Custis brought to the team last year would really open up the offense. I like Jackson but he does not possess the same dominating threat as Custis. The Babers offense does not work well without the over the top threat.

(5) QB depth. We need a bona fide transfer QB to provide competition for Devito and likely need to mine the JuCo ranks as well.

While this season is over - it will be quite interesting to see how Dino reacts with his back against the wall during the offseason. Clearly he needs to improve his recruiting talent on the coaching staff and potentially needs to consider one or more other changes as well as well as conducting a mass quality control audit of the offense and defense (possibly by a third party firm). However, I do not think the problems in this program require a complete overhaul. I believe that nearly all of our problems can be confined to complete failure at 3 offensive line positions and general defensive tackle play - which unfortunately are the equivalent of saying my body feels 100% except for the fact that I tore my achilles tendon.

I will say it now - I still believe that we will be heading back to a 10 win season during DeVito's senior year.

Thank you for such a great post.

People thought I was nuts to say we needed to bring in several free agent linemen on both sides of the ball; that it was too many, we would never do that.

We are in a situation where we have a few young O linemen who may turn out OK, but clearly have not been good enough to get on the field when we are witnessing practically the worst O line we have ever had in my lifetime.

Our inability to recruit space eaters in the middle is also critical. It's not just about how much you can lift, it's about can you hold your position? That is the most underrated part of D line play - just holding your position and clogging up the interior running lanes. We don't have that.

Last edited:
Since it was obvious that the OL was going to be a disaster, was there anything that could have been done, from an offensive scheme perspective, to mitigate that?

From my laymen’s POV, it seemed like we were trying to run an O that still relied on power running inside, and deep-ish dropback, slow developing throws. Both of which amplified just how awful the OL is.

This is a good observation. From my perspective, I agree that the play calling is pretty out-of-sync with what I would expect from a fast paced offense.

Not sure if JO is still reading the thread, or if this was asked somewhere and I missed it.

He's bullish on the younger offensive linemen, but I'm curious if he thinks Cavanaugh is the right fit to get them there?

To clarify - I think DeVito is the guy for the next two years but we need someone who brings some optionality to the offense similar to Dungey. For example, regardless of the O-line improvements that we will make, there are going to be times in the ACC (Clemson etc) where we are just overwhelmed at the point of attack and the standard offense is going to struggle. Look at what happened to Wisconsin when they finally met their match on the lines against Ohio State (the entire offense was completely shut down). I think we need a change of pace QB to cause the defense to account for the extra player (and thought we had that player with Amie). Post-DeVito - I do think we need to focus on multi-threat QBs - it is something we just need to have to be successful at SU. .

I will say one thing about Shafer - he was generally a good defensive coach. While criticizing coaches is not something I really do - I think it is fair to say that we are not seeing anywhere near the creativity that we have seen during the Shafer era. However - I do recall a SS defense giving up ~400 yards rushing to a Georgia Tech team that could not throw a forward pass so perhaps there is a bit of selective memory going on here. But again - the SU defense under Ward needs a full top-down analysis.

I think they did try some more heavy sets and experimented with the use of the wild cat - but ultimately this is a staff that is not going to make deviations from what they typically do. I was stunned that Marrone / Hackett were able to install the K-Gun in three weeks before the first game during Marrone's final year and do not see Babers and crew (who generally come from the same coaching tree) being capable of making such drastic change. I also don't think it would make a difference with this line - ultimately if we could find an offense where we just don't have to block anyone - I am sure he would run it.

I think it is reasonable - though I agree - it is not a light lift by any means. We need to get the point were have depth and are playing kids that are 22-23 years old on the lines so we don't blow entire seasons due to 1-2 injuries or wear or few players down due to exhaustion. We brought in AET and Tristan Jackson off of the transfer wire so I am sure a 5-year WR transfer is possible with an established QB and offensive coach in DeVito/Babers (potentially someone from a MAC team or a Power-5 going through a coaching change or just struggling with the passing game).

On the lines - we only need second string kids from power 5 teams who want a chance to start as a 5 year senior. I don't think it is unreasonable to find one kid from the SEC (non-starter), one kid from the Big-12 (non-starter) and one kid from the BIG Ten (non-starter) to provide depth and hopefully 1-2 ends up being a gap year starter. We can't go into another season in the ACC playing 19-20 year old kids on the offensive line - it is never going to work.

On the DL - we just have to find big bodies (and I agree that this is the more difficult position to recruit but again, it is what it is). Given we are a physically overmatched - we really need to develop a 5 man rotation and play as many 22-23 year old's as possible. McKinley cannot play 90% of the snaps in the ACC. I am a fan of Black but he is a Justin Tuck type player who is really a 3-4 defensive end who should be splitting his time at DE and 1-gap DT on passing downs. I think Rondi is a Christian Ferrara clone but he is a guy who should be sitting next year, playing 10 snaps a game as a sophomore and then starting as a junior and senior. This has to be desparate focus.

Again - I believe Locksley brought in 5-6 transfer starters this year so we should be thankful we are living in the world of the transfer portal.
I would really love to see a season preview from JO. And an analysis of our recent recruiting success in NJ. Where art thou?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom