Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
it wasn’t magic. And it hasn’t improved a lot but it has some based on team blocking grades. But that’s due to having Elmore back the last 3 games, who grades out as our 2nd best blocker behind Bergeron, and for the most part having Davis back the past 4 games. Another thing you can look at is when the QB drops back to pass, Devito was getting sacked 8.4% of the time. Shrader is getting sacked 8% of the time. That’s no real difference.

I don't think that number reflects what is accurately happening. Shrader sometimes loses yardage on runs -- that's different from being sacked, but they count as the same thing.

I don't think that number reflects what is accurately happening. Shrader sometimes loses yardage on runs -- that's different from being sacked, but they count as the same thing.

im only going by what PFF counts as a sack.

Also doesn't account for all the Tommy roll-out and hit the down marker with ball throws

Over stated and has nothing to do with the blocking being improved.

Over stated and has nothing to do with the blocking being improved.
You brought up sacks as a measurement. TD avoided sacks by rolling out and hitting the down marker. IF he doesn't do that then sacks would be higher than they actually are. Has everything to do with the conversation at hand.

You brought up sacks as a measurement. TD avoided sacks by rolling out and hitting the down marker. IF he doesn't do that then sacks would be higher than they actually are. Has everything to do with the conversation at hand.

the main point was getting Davis and Elmore back was the main reason for some blocking improvement. And what’s so bad about not taking a sack where you lose yardage instead of throwing it away? I saw it a couple times in the nfl game last night.

the main point was getting Davis and Elmore back was the main reason for some blocking improvement. And what’s so bad about not taking a sack where you lose yardage instead of throwing it away? I saw it a couple times in the nfl game last night
Perhaps I did misunderstand the original intent but the point i was making is that TD would throw the ball away to avoid the sack. GS will try to extend the play and pick up minimal yards or other. You made a comment that the sack percentages were about the same. I was just trying to point out that because TD throws the ball away alot, that percentage doesn't really tell the whole story.

it wasn’t magic. And it hasn’t improved a lot but it has some based on team blocking grades. But that’s due to having Elmore back the last 3 games, who grades out as our 2nd best blocker behind Bergeron, and for the most part having Davis back the past 4 games. Another thing you can look at is when the QB drops back to pass, Devito was getting sacked 8.4% of the time. Shrader is getting sacked 8% of the time. That’s no real difference.
I don't know about this one Bees. This is one where numbers lie a bit. I think we need to use the eye test on this one. Tommy lost a LOT more yards on his sacks than Garrett has. Without looking at numbers it certainly feels like there are a lot less 2nd/3rd and longs with the QB switch and there are definitely longer possessions because of it.

I am not buying his roster measurables either. He looks small on the sidelines to me as well. Kid needs some time. Morgan is probably clear #2 right now as well
Same -- watch him warmup and you can tell there's such a big difference between Garrett and Morgan, and the others, including Tommy. Tommy is tiny compared to Garrett -- he should be able to see the field better. Not sure how anyone who isnt tall sees over these linemen.

Tommy transferring is the best thing for Syracuse and for Tommy himself.

he will land either low FBS or a high FCS program.

he deserves a shot, unfortunately he just wasn’t developing here. We were seeing the same thing week in and week out.

not sure if that’s on Tommy or the coaching. We will see what the case was when he arrives to his next school and either improves over the course of the season or we continue to see the same old stuff.

Tommy is a case where I wish him well and I hope he finds a place where he can succeed.

I don't know about this one Bees. This is one where numbers lie a bit. I think we need to use the eye test on this one. Tommy lost a LOT more yards on his sacks than Garrett has. Without looking at numbers it certainly feels like there are a lot less 2nd/3rd and longs with the QB switch and there are definitely longer possessions because of it.

do you think our blocking got better when we got Davis and Elmore back?

as to sack yardage, I don’t know where to find that. I don’t think PFF breaks that out.

Also doesn't account for all the Tommy roll-out and hit the down marker with ball throws
I could see Tommy at any number of schools. If im him i pick a school that obviously fits my skills and also sets me up for life with a great degree.
Northwestern might be a good fit.
do you think our blocking got better when we got Davis and Elmore back?

as to sack yardage, I don’t know where to find that. I don’t think PFF breaks that out.
Yes it did. I has also improved significantly because of the new OL coach and i believe that OL enjoys a more aggresive run game. OL guys like run blocking much more than pass. Im very impressed with the OL this year regardless of grades its obvious to see that they are doing better.

Potential landing spots: With two years of eligibility remaining, DeVito is getting solid early interest from Minnesota, Western Kentucky, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Memphis and Kent State.

so does he have two years left or one?
I'm not sure. It's possible he has two years with last year being a free year for everyone and then he only played in 3 games this year.

I'm not sure. It's possible he has two years with last year being a free year for everyone and then he only played in 3 games this year.

2017: Redshirt
2018: Played
2019: Played
2020: Played / Free COVID Year
2021: Played. Doesn't matter that he only played 3 games since he already redshirted once.

He should have 2022 to make up for 2020, but that's all.

2017: Redshirt
2018: Played
2019: Played
2020: Played / Free COVID Year
2021: Played. Doesn't matter that he only played 3 games since he already redshirted once.

He should have 2022 to make up for 2020, but that's all.
If he's transferring as a grad transfer does he still get 2020 plus his grad year?

His best bets are in order Kent State, Memphis, Western K, MN, Rutgers, Vandy. Lewis will let him light it up and Memphis has the talent at WR to really help him. He will get murdered at Rutgers and or Vandy
Rutgers supposedly has their qb of the future it wont be them.

so does he have two years left or one?
Is it two because he only played in 3 this year? I hope that he has two it will give him the best chance to do well.

the main point was getting Davis and Elmore back was the main reason for some blocking improvement. And what’s so bad about not taking a sack where you lose yardage instead of throwing it away? I saw it a couple times in the nfl game last night.
There’s a time to throw it away.

It sucks when that is basically always your best play whenever there’s any pressure, though.

Shrader can extend plays and make something out of nothing, and every blocking breakdown isn’t the end of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom