Tommy Devito in the portal | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy Devito in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it’s all sour grapes or what may be best for Tommy. He has one year left, I don’t think he wants to spend it as a backup. He is more likely to start at a lower level school. He needs to pick a spot where he has the best path to starting.
Lewis recruited him to the Cuse, got to believe he would start at Kent state. Put up huge numbers there and maybe he gets a look by the league.

Lewis recruited him to the Cuse, got to believe he would start at Kent state. Put up huge numbers there and maybe he gets a look by the league.
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

He’s already getting power 5 interest. Minnesota, Rutgers and Vandy, along with some Group of 5. Thinking he is going to end up at an FCS school reeks of sour grapes.

He absolutely 100% could get a scholie at a D-1 school, but are there that many who will have guaranteed starting spots next year? I think he walks into a full time starting gig at an FCS school. Does he really want to fight for it somewhere else? Maybe he does, I dont know

He absolutely 100% could get a scholie at a D-1 school, but are there that many who will have guaranteed starting spots next year? I think he walks into a full time starting gig at an FCS school. Does he really want to fight for it somewhere else? Maybe he does, I dont know
his arm talent is light years better than FCS… I’m not where this stuff is coming from

Feel like Devito is made for a USC/Miami type program where it's run in a pro style offense. Not sure what their QB situations are so i'm spitballing completely but he's the type of guy who could and should find a program that develops NFL drop back qbs.
Devito is best suited for the wishbone attack where there’s only 1 wide receiver to throw to.

do you think our blocking got better when we got Davis and Elmore back?

o
I think everyone saw blocking improvement and a more physical unit from game 1 vs Ohio. Coaching has a lot to do with it.

his arm talent is light years better than FCS… I’m not where this stuff is coming from
Tell that to Joe Flacco or Carson Wentz or Jimmy Garoppolo or Trey Lance or Taylor Heinicke all who have started an NFL game.

Edit: My point is, there is no shame playing at a lower level if it helps him get his mind straight and gives him the best opportunity to highlight his skills.

Tell that to Joe Flacco or Carson Wentz or Jimmy Garoppolo or Trey Lance or Taylor Heinicke all who have started an NFL game.

Edit: My point is, there is no shame playing at a lower level if it helps him get his mind straight and gives him the best opportunity to highlight his skills.
Tony Romo, Kurt Warner,Phi Simms, Ken Anderson and plenty more

Exactly, go to a pass happy fcs school, light it up for a year or two where his size is less likely to be a detriment and he can shine and maybe just maybe get a look and shot at the next level. It’s not as crazy as it sounds (aka meaning can’t succeed here but could elsewhere and based on how the nfl does not exactly require running nor escapability/the need to create from the qb position - it’s not outlandish to think he can get at least a cup of coffee up there)

Not the worst idea in the world for him to see if he can go take over for Malik Willis or Matt Corral next year. Neither school has particularly good options lined up for next year. Also thinking Spencer Rattler should be looking at the same 2 schools. Go see if you have the ability to light it up with an offensive genius at the helm.

Not the worst idea in the world for him to see if he can go take over for Malik Willis or Matt Corral next year. Neither school has particularly good options lined up for next year. Also thinking Spencer Rattler should be looking at the same 2 schools. Go see if you have the ability to light it up with an offensive genius at the helm.
Would be funny if he goes to Ole Miss to replace Matt Corral...only to have Taj waiting to show him up there when he's not happy with him.

Last edited:
Would be funny if he goes to Ole Miss to replace Matt Corral...only to have Taj continue to show him up there when he's not happy for him.
Might both be happy in that offense. Lane may want someone more mobile though based on Corral's dual success this year.

Would be funny if he goes to Ole Miss to replace Matt Corral...only to have Taj continue to show him up there when he's not happy for him.

Imagine the Ole Miss fan reaction. Wait, did we just go out and get the 2 key contributors from a 1 win Syracuse team, while those they replaced them with turned them into a 6 win team?

If TD and those giving his advise (probably his dad) were smart he'd be looking at finding a school where he can do a one year masters program. He's not going to play in the NFL and why not get a degree from an elite institution while playing your last season. Football opens different doors for different people, it won't open the bank account from the NFL but it could with a one year masters from an Ivy league.

FWIW TD is a sociology major and I doubt he's going to become a sociologist. My cousin played D1 college baseball and half his team each year were sociology majors as thats what the coach wanted them doing so they could focus on baseball. He had to go get a masters because he couldn't do anything with that degree. TD probably would love to prove everyone wrong and go start and have a great year at a P5 school but IMO a great life decision is an ivy league spot where he sets himself up with a degree that not many of us would have the opportunity to get, and while he's at it maybe he lights it up in the Ivy or even colonial league (Villanova or JMU, ect).

Not sure it’s all sour grapes or what may be best for Tommy. He has one year left, I don’t think he wants to spend it as a backup. He is more likely to start at a lower level school. He needs to pick a spot where he has the best path to starting.
Obviously these schools are aware of that fact, so they wouldn’t recruit him if they didn’t need immediate help though, wouldn’t you agree?

I said this to another poster as well, but the schools reaching out to him know what his goal is, they wouldn’t waste their time unless there was serious consideration for him to become the starter.

It would certainly be best for TD to go to a place where he would start. He needs good film for scouts. What he has at Syracuse is not flattering.

going to a situation where he splits or backs up is not what he and TD Sr are looking for.

I said this to another poster as well, but the schools reaching out to him know what his goal is, they wouldn’t waste their time unless there was serious consideration for him to become the starter.
Has he tweeted the schools that have offered him yet? Maybe I missed them apologies

Haha. Yeah right, like an FBS football coach would never lie to a kid about starting with the pure motivation to secure a solid back up QB in the current transfer rich environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom