Tommy DeVito | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy DeVito

Status
Not open for further replies.
This coming season, I hope this works out as well as when you wanted DeVito to start over Dungey in 2018….
I don’t remember ‘wanting’ him to start over the RB at QB, but I know I was a believer in Babers and thought he had an innovative offensive mind and with a pure ‘NFL’ QB, the offense might’ve more like I wanted to watch.

Tommy was showing flashes of greatness then, but then Babers drove him right to Illinois with his lack of an OL.

It’s sad what could’ve been.

Remember when we were all worried Babers would leave for USC?? Now we probably could’nt unload him at OCC.

I don’t remember ‘wanting’ him to start over the RB at QB, but I know I was a believer in Babers and thought he had an innovative offensive mind and with a pure ‘NFL’ QB, the offense might’ve more like I wanted to watch.

Tommy was showing flashes of greatness then, but then Babers drove him right to Illinois with his lack of an OL.

It’s sad what could’ve been.

Remember when we were all worried Babers would leave for USC?? Now we probably could’nt unload him at OCC.

I thought you stopped drinking 15 Bud Lights for breakfast...

Your boy was a relief pitcher who threw gas yet could not find home plate. It's ok, its happens :)

For passes greater than 20 yards, he threw 14 to the left, 12 over the middle and 16 to the right.
Interesting. Good find. The 2 games I watched was closer to 100% to the right.

This coming season, I hope this works out as well as when you wanted DeVito to start over Dungey in 2018….
I think I remember Tommy’s Dad coming on here saying that Tommy was the better QB in 2018 and if he didn’t start he’d bring his talents elsewhere lol.

I do remember a couple of those games where Dungey was having trouble hitting a 5 yard out or a WR screen and thought we should give Tommy some run

I think I remember Tommy’s Dad coming on here saying that Tommy was the better QB in 2018 and if he didn’t start he’d bring his talents elsewhere lol.

I do remember a couple of those games where Dungey was having trouble hitting a 5 yard out or a WR screen and thought we should give Tommy some run
There was a time where Dungey was hopping around in pain holding his arm after making a throw, so yeah people wanting Tommy made sense at those points.

There was a time where Dungey was hopping around in pain holding his arm after making a throw, so yeah people wanting Tommy made sense at those points.
There were also meltdowns on this board when Dungey played horribly in 2018 and people wanted him to be benched. There's a lot of revisionist history here when it comes to this topic. Thankfully, the internet is forever and many of the threads here are archived.

When I was up here in 2019, I ran into Jarveon Howard's family and had a long conversation with his uncle. Tommy wasn't the only one who suffered behind that line. He told me that there was a growing tension on the team because of how bad they were. If you don't have a serviceable O line in football, you can't do anything. I don't care if McNabb in 97 was back there. You need three to four seconds to make your reads and throw. You could get a stopwatch and count how many times, the line had been penetrated in two seconds or less.

A lot of the vitriol towards him comes from his father being strong and supportive of his son. Maybe some of you are jealous that you never had that growing up. I guarantee that if you ask Babers what his regrets are while at Syracuse, not setting Tommy up for success would be one of them. Babers viewed Tommy as that piece that would take them to the level SU aspires to be. That's all I have to say on this topic. I don't care how you feel about it.

I think Devito got hit so many times that he COMPLETELY lost his timing. He made some unbelievably stupid plays. But, I chalk it up to PTSD from being hit so often. So, a change of scenery was mutually beneficial.

There were also meltdowns on this board when Dungey played horribly in 2018 and people wanted him to be benched. There's a lot of revisionist history here when it comes to this topic. Thankfully, the internet is forever and many of the threads here are archived.

When I was up here in 2019, I ran into Jarveon Howard's family and had a long conversation with his uncle. Tommy wasn't the only one who suffered behind that line. He told me that there was a growing tension on the team because of how bad they were. If you don't have a serviceable O line in football, you can't do anything. I don't care if McNabb in 97 was back there. You need three to four seconds to make your reads and throw. You could get a stopwatch and count how many times, the line had been penetrated in two seconds or less.

A lot of the vitriol towards him comes from his father being strong and supportive of his son. Maybe some of you are jealous that you never had that growing up. I guarantee that if you ask Babers what his regrets are while at Syracuse, not setting Tommy up for success would be one of them. Babers viewed Tommy as that piece that would take them to the level SU aspires to be. That's all I have to say on this topic. I don't care how you feel about it.
Nah on all points. It’s not little league. You don’t complain about first team reps as a parent of a true freshman.
As far as regrets I am sure Babers regrets putting so much faith in Devito being able to deliver.

Last edited:
I think Devito got hit so many times that he COMPLETELY lost his timing. He made some unbelievably stupid plays. But, I chalk it up to PTSD from being hit so often. So, a change of scenery was mutually beneficial.
He also made those plays before being hit so much though.

He also made those plays before being hit so much though.
Most were after. The kid has a million dollar arm with a ten cent head. At least he did while he was here. Hopefully, for his sake, he’s developed the quarterback mind required of NFL quarterbacks. It’s the hardest position in all of sports, not because of the physical demands, but because of the mental requirements. You have to process so much information in an extremely short amount of time. It’s nearly impossible. That’s why great quarterbacks are so coveted. Tommy has the arm, does he have the mind?

In fairness there were times people wanted McNabb to sit. Lots of people analyze games in a vacuum (not saying you do).

Last edited:
Hope he does well, especially since the announcers kept mentioning 5 years at Syracuse. Wish he had not left mid-season.

Most were after. The kid has a million dollar arm with a ten cent head. At least he did while he was here. Hopefully, for his sake, he’s developed the quarterback mind required of NFL quarterbacks. It’s the hardest position in all of sports, not because of the physical demands, but because of the mental requirements. You have to process so much information in an extremely short amount of time. It’s nearly impossible. That’s why great quarterbacks are so coveted. Tommy has the arm, does he have the mind?
The worst were before.

Have you guys been sucked in by Kaiser again? Just a suggestion to spend your time on people who actually know something about sports.
Go down a couple of threads and look at what JO had to say about DeVito back in 2019 and what it would take for him to have success.

Pretty much spot on with Kaiser's take.

I'll take Kaiser and JO over anyone taking the other side in this thread.

This place is pretty good on cheering everyone.

When the dad of a player trashes everything in front or around him it unfortunately puts that player under the board's microscope.
Kid has no control over what father says or does.

Trashing the kid because you don't like the Dad makes you (not you specifically) 10x worse than his Dad ever was.

Kid has no control over what father says or does.

Trashing the kid because you don't like the Dad makes you (not you specifically) 10x worse than his Dad ever was.

I would generally disagree with trashing. Critiquing his game (esp when a loud obnoxious megaphone is framing the debate) within reason is fair game.

I would generally disagree with trashing. Critiquing his game (esp when a loud obnoxious megaphone is framing the debate) within reason is fair game.
Perhaps.

I would argue that, if your initial filter is "I think the Dad is an a$$hole and I don't like the kid because of the Dad", then providing a reasoned take on his game is a tough ask.

Just as I suspect that the "disdain" for Kaiser's sports acumen has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with his takes on the OT board.

Perhaps.

I would argue that, if your initial filter is "I think the Dad is an a$$hole and I don't like the kid because of the Dad", then providing a reasoned take on his game is a tough ask.

Just as I suspect that the "disdain" for Kaiser's sports acumen has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with his takes on the OT board.

I really don't want to go down a Tommy D rabbit hole. Not sure anyone here should like or dislike a teenager, just talking about his game.

To circle it back on Dino - in some programs that situation would've gotten the coach fired. Not here. Think Dino's learned what works best here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom