Tommy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy

This is a legit concern. We all knew our OL push and running game(minus the QB) and passing game would have to be better.

Eric created something out of nothing with his legs all the time, and that’s gone.

We’ll see what happens. Gotta get things clicking.
The old saying - you don’t miss something until it’s gone. Eric’s passing inconsistencies and run happy tendencies drove us nuts but we took for granted the other parts of his game that were truly intangible.

His timing with the receivers will improve. He’ll settle down and his accuracy and touch will improve.
But I’m already missing dungey’s ability to barrel over defenders and extend drives with his legs. tommy is the kind of qb that needs a clean pocket and dependable running game and I don’t think we have that personnel. Quite concerned.
I too miss Eric's legs but we have to move on. I disagree with Franco. I believe our running game is very strong. They are the reason we won this game. Except for Andre's field goals and PAT's which were enough to win to begin with - all scoring was made by running backs Neal, Adams and Howard.

One of the reasons Tommy was "off " tonight was due to a lack of tape for the team to study. We had no idea how their D was going to play. When we finally started the game we saw them playing very deep taking away the ability for the "gun slinging" throws and that was why the quick slants and screens worked so well along with the run. And we haven't even seen all of the running game yet. We do have some real speed in this stable of ball carriers. I can think of one who runs a 4.3. Can't wait to see him juke the D and run for TD's but he's just learning the college game so we may have to wait and be patient with him and with Tommy. GOSU :)

Last edited:
I too miss Eric's legs but we have to move on. I disagree with Franco. I believe our running game is very strong. They are the reason we won this game. Except for Andre's field goals and PAT's which were enough to win to begin with - all scoring was made by running backs Neal, Adams and Howard.

One of the reasons Tommy was "off " tonight was due to a lack of tape for the team to study. We had no idea how their D was going to play. When we finally started the game we saw them playing very deep taking away the ability for the "gun slinging" throws and that was why the quick slants and screens worked so well along with the run. And we haven't even seen all the running game yet. We do have some real speed in this stable of ball carriers. I can think of one who runs a 4.3. Can't wait to see him juke the D and run for TD's but he's just learning the college game so we may have to wait and be patient with him and with Tommy. GOSU :)
We have some very good running backs. My issue is the line being able to give us enough push on those short yardage plays. They still struggle to move the pile.

Even if Tommy improves expect him to be inconsistent. Would be nice to have a trustworthy backup.

TD just has to keep his mechanics and not try to do too much, let the game come to you and it will slow down for him as he gets experience. This was a great learning experience with a new D, playing away from the Dome and facing the pressure of making quick decisions.

I agree that TD needs to settle. Calm down and everything will slow down for him with some more experience.

I don’t know at this point if it was just a bad game or not. He’s certainly got the tools. It’s going to be very interesting to see how he develops.

We’re going to find out right quick and in a hurry though.

Tommy faces one of the best D's in the country every day in practice. I hope that helps develop some incredibly strong steel.

Yep...you ain't kidding Finwad as he is out of the frying pan and into the fire @Maryland and then vs Clemson so each level will be jumping higher and higher with leaps and bounds.

TD had a bad day passing.
No worries, this was his first start.
We have seen what he can do.
The team is behind him.
He never lost his team.
He remained in control of the offense.
He made several crisp, clean passes.
Several passes were dropped (not TD's responsibility)
He is not the shake and bake runner ED is, but he is fast.
TD knows to slide and protect the passer, while ED was aggressive it opened himself to injury at a thin depth position (before TD).
TD got the W.
TD ran the offense very good, not great, but very good. This is a fast paced offense that is not easy to run but much harder to defend. TD did his part and will improve.

There are negatives to address this week in practice, and HCDB has a history of correcting mistakes in players. I am not concerned. The team had no film on the Flames under Freeze, yet they made adjustments and walked away with a W and a shutout.

Getting upset with a player because he didn't rack up enough yards in the air or enough passing TDs is not beneficial to a team nor a fanbase. Part of HCDB's game plan is to take what an opponent gives you and make it work. TD did that. Wearing down a opponent and running the ball is a strategy and the Flames failed to stop the Orange. A W is a W, enjoy it. Everyone will be working towards Maryland and deflating their hyped offense against a very underwhelming opponent.

All the irrational posters needa chill, its the kids first start i gurantee you were all the same people shooting crap from the hip after the western michigan game and praising the kid after unc... RELAXXXXX

I could be wrong, but I feel like pretty much everyone is on the same page with...

-Tommy played bad last night
-We are very happy that he's our QB for the next 3 years

He didn’t play well . but that interception was batted . I won’t know anything else until film
Run Game wasn’t there first half and they dared us to run . At least we are trying to fix things after a win and not a loss D picked it up for us from 2nd are on

What I love about him is his confidence, no matter what happened the previous series he came out the next ready to go. Were the results exactly what he wanted, no, but he knows, you know, the coaches know, and the fan base knows what he is capable of and what our future looks like.

I loved Dungy but Tommy is the guy that going to push this program back to where we were and hopefully further, this is one start with 30+ to go.

I'm all in on him and Coach Babers. When coach first got he spoke about his vision of the program and especially the offense, the vision is coming true and it's going to be an amazing ride, something we've all wished for since the turn of this century.

Some of you have really short memories and a propensity to revise history...

Louisville 2015
South Florida 2016
Wake Forest 2016
MTSU 2017
Miami 2017
Western Michigan 2018
Pitt 2018

Im not checking every one of those games but dungey threw for a td and ran for 70 yds and a td v pitt last year.

He also threw two tds and ran for 200 yds and a td v western michigan last year.

Dungey had some bad games but what i saw yesterday was disappointing.

So, basically, “some” of you spin facts poorly.

I fully expect him to be better at Maryland but I feel like “we didn’t know what to gameplan for” is a super weak excuse.

A) It’s Liberty

B) So anytime we’re confused by the looks a defense gives us, we can just expect to have zero passing game outside of screens?

I fully expect him to be better at Maryland but I feel like “we didn’t know what to gameplan for” is a super weak excuse.

A) It’s Liberty

B) So anytime we’re confused by the looks a defense gives us, we can just expect to have zero passing game outside of screens?

Yes, that's a BS excuse. The looks that the WRs were giving Devito told the story. Devito seemed to not know the playbook which is inexplicable.

Im not checking every one of those games but dungey threw for a td and ran for 70 yds and a td v pitt last year.

He also threw two tds and ran for 200 yds and a td v western michigan last year.

Dungey had some bad games but what i saw yesterday was disappointing.

So, basically, “some” of you spin facts poorly.
I am not spinning anything.

You are the one who said that Dungey never had such an uninspiring game. Now, you concede that he did have bad games. Which is it?

Miami, he was 13-41 for 137 with 0 TDs and 4 picks. Does that qualify as "uninspiring"?

If you are going to make blanket statements, you should check your facts before doing so.

Dungey was a terrific quarterback and definitely goes down as one of our great Qb but he did have poor performances. All QBs do.

Devito's did not play particularly well yesterday. No doubt. But to say that his 17-35 for 176 with 0 TDs and 2 picks is worse than any of Dungey's performances is simply not true.

A) It’s Liberty

I think SU wanted to go long early and put the game away early. However, Liberty should be credited with planning on stopping the long ball (similar to Dino's philosophy) as much as Tommy's errors in plays and as much as the receivers failing to catch balls in their hands. Overall, the adjustments were made and a few mistakes failed to capitalize on the adjustments.

The inability to game plan for a team slowed us down at least a full quarter to discover what was available to us. That left 45 minutes to exploit the adjustments. Again, Tommy made a few errors but you cannot blame him for dropped balls, especially when the ball hits the hands of the receivers.

Plainly, SU won by 24 points. the offense worked. TD improved as the game went on, finishing at 17/35 with 176 yards, or 10+ yards per completions and 5 yards per attempt. However, he managed the game well, never lost his control and walked away with a W.

Please recall that Liberty has D1 players and has an accomplished passer with good receivers, nobody expected SU to blow them away by 50 points. Yes, the defense gets the credit for the shut-out. Tommy gets the W for managing the offense. And we all know that Tommy can play much better than he did last night.

Yes, that's a BS excuse. The looks that the WRs were giving Devito told the story. Devito seemed to not know the playbook which is inexplicable.

This is worlds apart from the truth, lol.

If you’ve watched Dino’s O the last 3 years and don’t trust that they’ll figure it out, that’s on you. I’m salivating at having a D this good - and waiting for the O to catch up knowing that they will.

I think peoples expectations of TD were out of whack a little - he’s young and it will take time. But he’s got all the tools.

This is worlds apart from the truth, lol.

If you’ve watched Dino’s O the last 3 years and don’t trust that they’ll figure it out, that’s on you. I’m salivating at having a D this good - and waiting for the O to catch up knowing that they will.

I think peoples expectations of TD were out of whack a little - he’s young and it will take time. But he’s got all the tools.

Didn't say they won't figure it out. Didn't say the D wasn't great (they were). Didn't say Devito doesn't have the tools. Simply pointed to the fact that Devito didn't seem to know what the WRs were doing which I find hard to understand.

His timing with the receivers will improve. He’ll settle down and his accuracy and touch will improve.

But I’m already missing dungey’s ability to barrel over defenders and extend drives with his legs. tommy is the kind of qb that needs a clean pocket and dependable running game and I don’t think we have that personnel. Quite concerned.

It didn't help that Heckel got hurt.