Tommy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy

I am a bit concerned. I know he is young and needs time to develop but that was a terrible football game by Tommy. His last two games has been bad. It makes me nervous to go on the road against Maryland... After seeing that I wish we would have Holy Cross in the dome next week instead just to get some confidence.

He's not really young. It's his 3rd year in the program. With that said he will be better. He just seemed off tonight. We have seen him make the throws he was missing tonight. I think a couple were also bad reads on Jackson.

I think Tommy needed a game like this to realise you can't make a play every single time and sometimes you need to simply get rid and get to a new down. He's obviously competitive and, in his mind, thinks he can win every single down. Great mentality to have but needs some experience to temper those expectations of himself.

Additionally the oline didn't do him favors but the film on this game will help them exponentially.

Some of you need to take an upper, or 6. Judge his performance next week against a foe of similar talent.

The gameplan tonight was uber conservative and Hugh & Co did a great job taking away options 1&2 on the quick outs from film study.

They’re rusty, but will be better next week.

I'm not even slightly worried. Our game plan of not showing too much coupled with the emphasis on runs and swing passes clearly limits what any QB can do. We barely took any shots. Use this game, adjust and learn. This was always going to be a weird game. On to week 2!

Out aside the game plan, which made sense. It was his decision making in it and not being on the same page with Jackson that surprised. Many throws were way off the mark.

Real football looks nothing like a skills clinic.

i dont know how to be too upset since watching on TV you have no idea what the issues where.. the 2 INTS were bad throws. But the issue is more was he not seeing guys who were open or were guts not getting open?

I think a few things were at play. First Liberty took away a lot downfield letting us stay underneath as we wished. They also tried to take away the sideline throws as well.

Our gameplan was vanilla and we didn't run much over the middle at all. With Riley we used the middle a lot more last year as competition grew more difficult.

Tommy doesn't have a feel for using his legs yet. It helped Eric cover some of his warts and therefore Tommy is going to sling it more than tuck it.

I think vanilla or not, there will be ample adjustments and possibly opportunity that comes for guys like Courtney Jackson, sharod Johnson and maybe even Luke Benson next game.

The screen game was boring but the threat of the backs as receivers is important. It will force Maryland to respect it.

Tommy's accuracy had a lot to do with throwing off his backfoot vs stepping into the throws. Partly this was a lack of a true pocket. The rest was nerves and first game as a starter. Add that to an opponent who presentated a bigger defensive challenge than expected and it gets mental. Lot to look at, improve on and some to see more of.

11/26 226 yards WMU 2018 (combined QBs)
17/35 176 yards Liberty 2019

Slow start both years and Custis was the WR that really did anything in 2018. WR didn't do much this game.

DeVito made some choices that scared me and he is smart enough not to be fooled again.
He had a bad game and no matter how post tell me not to say x about him I'll still say, pound sand with that nonsense.

Typical board bearishness when the game isn’t going as planned. That gameplan was as vanilla as you can get. Tommy missed a few throws, the WRs dropped a few, there was some miscommunication. Get those issues out against Liberty, not an ACC foe.

Not worried whatsoever. He’ll be fine and the D has his back in the other side.

This

He will be better but if that was the opener at the Dome it would be time to worry.

The O line isn't great hes going to have to use his legs to make plays and take some hits hope he holds up. We are going to have to move him out of the pocket on every throwing down if he doesn't step into throws and throws off his back foot so regularly. He should have better play calling going forward Dino was keeping it simple tonight on purpose.

Im kind of worried about our wideouts they are not big and can easily be pushed out of bounds by defenders. 3 good RBs helps and all looked good catching the ball.

Last year I doubted Tommy after the Southern Central Northern Western Michigan University game.

He saved our bacon multiple times against bigger opponents.

I am not going to doubt him again after a 'meh' game.
This

Wait what lol?
dungey was taken out of the fsu game after the first half because a bead of turf got into his eye and he kept tearing up, Dinos excuse not mine.. were you around last year?

A big reason why I'm not too worried about the offense was just the overall demeanor and body language of the team. Devito and his receivers weren't hanging their heads or arguing on the sidelines, I saw Babers and Trishton Jackson having a laugh after he ran out of bounds, I saw Taj and Nykheim talking to Tommy and encouraging him. These guys know they were playing vanilla. The receivers know what Tommy is capable of and Tommy knows what his receivers are capable of. I think despite the play calling Tommy still wanted to put up some stats and that led to some bad throws. I think next week will look a lot different.

a legit concern about DeVito to me is all he has shown in the past is an ability to throw the deep ball. would like to see a sustained drive. this game is definitively a concern and not what i wanted to see. that being said, its just one game and his first one at that. but i don't recall dungey ever having a game that uninspiring.

dungey was taken out of the fsu game after the first half because a bead of turf got into his eye and he kept tearing up, Dinos excuse not mine.. were you around last year?
Of course I was i just find it funny you calling out my fandom because I forgot one little detail.

He had what I am 95% sure is his worst game as a starting QB.

Dino trusted him enough last season to put him in as a spark. There's a reason for that.

He's going to be just fine.

a legit concern about DeVito to me is all he has shown in the past is an ability to throw the deep ball. would like to see a sustained drive. this game is definitively a concern and not what i wanted to see. that being said, its just one game and his first one at that. but i don't recall dungey ever having a game that uninspiring.

Eric had a ton of games just like this one. He got pulled vs UNC because he wasn’t playing well. Tommy hit all his long balls in that game. He was very accurate today on the short/med throws.

All the irrational posters needa chill, its the kids first start i gurantee you were all the same people shooting crap from the hip after the western michigan game and praising the kid after unc... RELAXXXXX
Not his first start but I hear you he's still a baby first game of the year no reason to be concerned.
They kept saying it was his first start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom