Tony White | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

Why can’t a defensive minded coach run a team with a good offense?

They can, look at Sean McDermott. White just gives me Shafer flashbacks, I'd rather see him prove it a few years as a HC at a lower level before he's handed the keys to a P5 job.

Stoops is the dream scenario

Oklahoma fans were so confused at first. Then they won the national title in his second season and they were forever transformed.

Expect more season ticket holders to cancel if they hire White a DC.
Fans want exciting football, not a defensive struggle. A 63 to 59 loss is better then a 9-7 win.
Because if you can score you usually have a chance to win.
Teams who have problems scoring usually lose.
A 9-7 win is better than a 59-63 loss, I'm sick and tired of losing here at any level.

Hiring a 1st time HC is definitely the risk here. It's real.

However, to assume that White has "no ability to the fix the O" is, at best, an opinion based on little more than your gut feelings. Unless you know what his specific plan is for the offense, absolute statements about whether he has the ability or not seem...misguided.

How is a DC going to fix the O? He can with recruits but the O won't be his system, which puts him at a disadvantage vs an OC hire. Now if he had a guy, that changes things. But given where he has coached, that doesn't seem to be the case.

A DC can say during the interview, I want to do so and so but they cannot actually execute it themselves they need an OC (and you better get that hire right). An OC will say I have an idea about the D and missing on the hire isn't as big a deal.

An OC will have their system and there will be continuity/consistency on that side of the ball. With a DC that won't be the case on O, but instead on D. I rather have the O taken care of. IMO it is easier to find a decent DC than an OC. And changing systems on O is worse than changing things on D.

I think part of Dino's issues was he wasn't an OC and wasn't married to a system. Our O kept changing over and over. We had no identity/consistency on O.

When our O is as bad as it has been the last 25 years having the solution be hiring a DC as HC seems risky IMO.

How is a DC going to fix the O? He can with recruits but the O won't be his system, which puts him at a disadvantage vs an OC hire. Now if he had a guy, that changes things. But given where he has coached, that doesn't seem to be the case.

A DC can say during the interview, I want to do so and so but they cannot actually execute it themselves they need an OC (and you better get that hire right). An OC will say I have an idea about the D and missing on the hire isn't as big a deal.

An OC will have their system and there will be continuity/consistency on that side of the ball. With a DC that won't be the case on O, but instead on D. I rather have the O taken care of. IMO it is easier to find a decent DC than an OC. And changing systems on O is worse than changing things on D.

I think part of Dino's issues was he wasn't an OC and wasn't married to a system. Our O kept changing over and over. We had no identity/consistency on O.

When our O is as bad as it has been the last 25 years having the solution be hiring a DC as HC seems risky IMO.
Slight nuance… Dino’s issue was that he was married to a system but couldn’t figure out how to make it work in the ACC. Once the initial idea failed he was out of other ideas. Basically Dino was a one trick pony who could not recruit the o-line, qb or wr to make his system work.

Slight nuance… Dino’s issue was that he was married to a system but couldn’t figure out how to make it work in the ACC. Once the initial idea failed he was out of other ideas. Basically Dino was a one trick pony who could not recruit the o-line, qb or wr to make his system work.

The system changed from 2017 to 2018. Then he abandoned it late 2019. I don't think an true OC abandons their system. They might tweak it year to year given the talent, but they don't dump it entirely.

I think from mid 2019 on that Dino couldn't make up his mind on what he wanted the O to be. That played a factor in not making a Bowl in 2021. It also confused things hiring Anae/Beck but not wanting to go all in on the BYU O.

Wanted to also add that if we are hiring a good OC/DC I actually want them to be calling the plays. They are the expert at their side of the ball. It also saves some money, which is a factor for SU unfortunately.

White is a really good DC. Long wasn't as good this year. I want White calling the plays not Long. Same with Lewis. He is a really good OC. I don't want him delegating to an OC who wouldn't be as good as him. Part of the lure of hiring either is that they are very good at calling plays.

Dino was an "O guy" but when did you ever see him with a play chart?

White is a really good DC. Long wasn't as good this year. I want White calling the plays not Long.

For these two particular guys, I think this is a simplistic view. Long's defenses have always been pretty good, and White is one of his mentors. Flip the script and put White as HC, I think having Rocky there calling plays would be something he wants. They'd work together on the gameplan all week, and White would be able to overrule anything.

Go find a DE that can make a bigger impact, and maybe Long looks better calling plays. The D still wasn't bad. Couple of rough games, but the entire team was a mess during some of them. It's a D that can do its part to win games if the offense can hold up its end of the bargain.

This wasn’t a system. Nor did he have a philosophy. JWs comments were telling

For these two particular guys, I think this is a simplistic view. Long's defenses have always been pretty good, and White is one of his mentors. Flip the script and put White as HC, I think having Rocky there calling plays would be something he wants. They'd work together on the gameplan all week, and White would be able to overrule anything.

Go find a DE that can make a bigger impact, and maybe Long looks better calling plays. The D still wasn't bad. Couple of rough games, but the entire team was a mess during some of them. It's a D that can do its part to win games if the offense can hold up its end of the bargain.

Long was a lot more passive. Heck our DL went from decent in sacks to non existent this year. I thought the D took a big step back. If White is going to overrule Long, why have Long there?

This sounds like some i'm so in the know game

He coaches cornerbacks here and there. He coached here during seasons that are a big reason why the head coach is going to get fired.

Nebraska is pretty good on defense this year.
So to summarize, TW is the guy IF he brings a can't miss OC with him. Ooof, seems doomed to failure. Gimme Toledo HC, Lewis or Chesney and they'll have gotten it right.

Actually I'd prefer a Lewis and Rocky combo. I really like having the HC call the offensive plays and can do it well.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a more active discussion on the possibility of Tony White being hired as the next HC. He's the preferred choice of many of the players (for obvious reasons). He's on the younger side with P5 coordinator experience. I don't think he'd be as costly as hiring someone like a Dan Mullen. That being said, while I wouldn't hate it if he were the next coach, I don't love the idea of what would essentially be a continuity hire for a 6-6 football team. I do still think he's in the top 3-4 candidates that are being explored right now, however.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a more active discussion on the possibility of Tony White being hired as the next HC. He's the preferred choice of many of the players (for obvious reasons). He's on the younger side with P5 coordinator experience. I don't think he'd be as costly as hiring someone like a Dan Mullen. That being said, while I wouldn't hate it if he were the next coach, I don't love the idea of what would essentially be a continuity hire for a 6-6 football team. I do still think he's in the top 3-4 candidates that are being explored right now, however.

Continuity hire, band back together, no culture changes, comfort level there. This has the making of Shafer 2.0 hire. Sorry Tony.

Continuity hire, band back together, no culture changes, comfort level there. This has the making of Shafer 2.0 hire. Sorry Tony.
No culture changes? What are you talking about?

Me too. But I think he’s headed west before East but would love to be wrong!

Me too. But I think he’s headed west before East but would love to be wrong!
If you travel west far enough eventually you will hit Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom