Tony White | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

no defensive meathead is willing to do that out of the gate. even the best of the best have to give in to reality years later (stoops, patterson, saban)

Cross Stoops off that list. His first year as a HC was 1999. His first OC was...Mike Leach.

we're fired someone for going 5-6, we're looking at their 5-6 defensive coordinator and their 5-6 head coach is warning him to go somewhere where 5-6 doesn't get you fired

Even though they're all at a place where 5-6 gets you fired.

But never after one year. Their last two failures (who were successful HCs elsewhere) got 4 years and 3 years respectively.

I realize there is a great chance that White will be our next coach but I am not excited about it at all. Seems like we will be looking at the same type of offense we have run the last few years or since Lewis left.

I think White knows D but who has he coached along side on O? What would his OC options be? It seems pretty limited. He hasn't coached with decent O guys at any of his stops. Hiring a 1st time HC with no ability to fix the O seems risky.
Hiring a 1st time HC is definitely the risk here. It's real.

However, to assume that White has "no ability to the fix the O" is, at best, an opinion based on little more than your gut feelings. Unless you know what his specific plan is for the offense, absolute statements about whether he has the ability or not seem...misguided.

However, to assume that White has "no ability to the fix the O" is, at best, an opinion based on little more than your gut feelings. Unless you know what his specific plan is for the offense, absolute statements about whether he has the ability or not seem...misguided.

Your argument can be made for both sides just by changing one word..

However, to assume that White has "the ability to the fix the O" is, at best, an opinion based on little more than your gut feelings. Unless you know what his specific plan is for the offense, absolute statements about whether he has the ability or not seem...misguided.

Expect more season ticket holders to cancel if they hire White a DC.
Fans want exciting football, not a defensive struggle. A 63 to 59 loss is better then a 9-7 win.
Because if you can score you usually have a chance to win.
Teams who have problems scoring usually lose.

Fans want exciting football, not a defensive struggle. A 63 to 59 loss is better then a 9-7 win.
Why do you think a defensive minded head coach is going to ignore offense? He can certainly hire an OC to run a dynamic offense and pair that with a solid defense. Not every defensive minded head coach is Kirk Ferentz. There are plenty of teams that do both.

Why do you think a defensive minded head coach is going to ignore offense? He can certainly hire an OC to run a dynamic offense and pair that with a solid defense. Not every defensive minded head coach is Kirk Ferentz. There are plenty of teams that do both.

I mean - is there any reason Tony White couldn't hire, say - Sean Lewis as his OC?

Seems like Prime is scapegoating Lewis for his team's implosion, given him no longer calling plays for the O.
Which also seems like he'd be let go at the end of the season, so he'd then be available to come to Cuse.

OR - Tony White hires Chesney as his OC.
Which gets Chesney up into the P4 ranks as a coordinator, likely more $ than HC at Holy Cross, and then we've got 2 solid guys at top positions.

I mean - is there any reason Tony White couldn't hire, say - Sean Lewis as his OC?

Seems like Prime is scapegoating Lewis for his team's implosion, given him no longer calling plays for the O.
Which also seems like he'd be let go at the end of the season, so he'd then be available to come to Cuse.

Which gets Chesney up into the P4 ranks as a coordinator, likely more $ than HC at Holy Cross, and then we've got 2 solid guys at top positions.

Is there any reason why Sean Lewis couldn't hire Tony White as DC?
Is there any reason why Chesney couldn't hire Tony White as DC?

Is there any reason why Sean Lewis couldn't hire Tony White as DC?
Is there any reason why Chesney couldn't hire Tony White as DC?

Yes - $
Yes - $

Tony White is getting PAID to be DC at Nebraska.
We tried to counter, but he still left.

Why would he do a reverse-lateral, to come back??

Yes - $
Yes - $

Tony White is getting PAID to be DC at Nebraska.
We tried to counter, but he still left.

Why would he do a reverse-lateral, to come back??

Well money would still be an issue for White trying to hire Lewis or Chesney as a coordinator. I am getting at those are just silly not real scenarios. Lewis - Chesney - White are not coming here to be a coordinator.

if we dont hire Bob Chesney as a HC, someone else will very shortly. Whether it's an IVY league school, a MAC school, an ACC school or Michigan. He's on the way up. It's a question of how far up.

I wouldn't be surprised if BC gets motorboated by Miami and is embarassed by their bowl opponent they make a run at Chesney if he's still out there.

Uh, Babers had HC experience.
Not sure where I said Dino lacked HC experience. My post said I wanted the new coach to have HC experience and not be a member of the Babers regime here (what we had here part), which includes white and lewis. I said I’d rather have those I noted in my post.

My concern with TW is that if he does do well, he will inevitably leave us all over again for a bigger paycheck.

Every coach is going to do that. It’s how the game is played. Coaches don’t stick around, it’s always been a transient business.

What would he do to fix our offense though?

Hire a really good OC. Which is the scenario even if we hire a current OC to be the HC. We hired an offensive genius and have largely had terrible offenses and even worse offensive recruiting while at the same time having solid D’s and have had pretty good D recruiting. You hire a guy that you think will make good decisions in all aspects and will fill the coaching positions with smart hires.

Your argument can be made for both sides just by changing one word..

However, to assume that White has "the ability to the fix the O" is, at best, an opinion based on little more than your gut feelings. Unless you know what his specific plan is for the offense, absolute statements about whether he has the ability or not seem...misguided.
Yeah, and that's exactly the point. To state that White does or does not have the ability to fix the offense is nothing more than an opinion based on little more than a hunch. I was not taking a stance that he does or does not. Only commenting on the absolute nature of the statement.

Not sure what any of that has to do with my post.

I think White would be a bad hire as a HC, leave him at Nebraska and retain Rocky for the DC. We need an offensive mind that can recruit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom