Tony White | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

Not trying to pile on this program but is it even a certainty that Syracuse can offer him more money as HC than Nebraska can as DC? Nebraska decision makers/fan base actually want to win and are willing to do whatever it takes. TW has been a home run for them.
Yes, Tony was offered a nice package to stay. the reason he left wasn't all because of money.

Assuming Danny Gonzales gets fired at New Mexico that would presumably be his DC/LB coach. No clue what he thinks about offense.

Have you ever been to Wake? I used to live in Winston Salem and have have been on the campus for hoops and football games...many times. It is a small private school that caters to a wealthy base and has the financial support of a well heeled, passionate group of alumni that Syracuse wishes it could emulate.
They have invested in facilities...before we did. So, I wouldn't try to compare us to Wake at all, they are in a different class.. See. part of the problem with our fan base is that we think we are peers with all of these programs, but in this new era of NIL, Collectives, and the ability to pay players legally, we really are not, and so our expectations need to change. Our new reality may very well be: 7-5 is a good year, 6-6 doesn't mean we need to fire the coach, and 10-2 every 5-6 years is a gift that we really appreciate. there are some who are suggesting we drop out of P5 football altogether!!
People have been suggesting we drop out of p5 for the last 45 years. I graduated from Syracuse in 1978 and that was the talk then. Right before we built the Dome. I am so sick of the poor mouthing that Syracuse does. I will be honest with you. I don't believe it. I think we lie like two dollar whores. Are we at the top of the table. No. But we aren't the poor people with cups in our hands at the local super market. And spare me the talk about NIL. That is rather new. It doesn't explain the years before that. Do we have limatations? Of course. We have no recruiting hot base. We are expensive so we don't get walk on's like less expensive schools. The weather does hurt us. But we haven't been smart about our football program. And I will take the numbers you cited at the end of your post and not complain. But not being destroyed on national tv 3 weeks in a row. The right guy, a hustler, can make us competitive. And that is all I am asking for.

Last edited:
If anything we've taken from other SU coaching hires, Wildhack is not one to take massive risks. White checks the boxes of an emerging coach with SU 'ties'.

Right or wrong, this is how Wildhack operates and will likely be the choice.
So pathetic if true that the AD is that scared to hire a qualified coach w no ties to the school. He must be scarred from Greg Robinson. This line of thinking failed Alabama when they kept trying to hire Bear Bryant players/assistant or from within the family. Same with USC hiring Pete Carrol assistants and hiring former players as ADs.

Yes. He’s only making 1M
Exactly. And would it shock anyone if his defense continues playing at this level and his salary increases to $2M+? Just saying, they will do whatever it takes and we won’t. That’s the point where I see JW going the cheap route and going for someone like the Holy Cross coach that people are interested in.

Not trying to pile on this program but is it even a certainty that Syracuse can offer him more money as HC than Nebraska can as DC? Nebraska decision makers/fan base actually want to win and are willing to do whatever it takes. TW has been a home run for them.
Oh hell yes they can

Exactly. And would it shock anyone if his defense continues playing at this level and his salary increases to $2M+? Just saying, they will do whatever it takes and we won’t. That’s the point where I see JW going the cheap route and going for someone like the Holy Cross coach that people are interested in.
Okay, it goes to 2M. That’s still 1M less than Syracuse is paying Dino, which i assume is the floor for the next coach.

Here we go with the reading comprehension. Edit I take that back sorry ,didn't want to delete in case you were already responding

I'm asking about Tony White. I want to be sold. Id love to read about his analytics focus. I thought you were talking about him
No I’m talking about OCs

I will take Chesney, good coach, head coaching experience, consistently good teams, Leipold was what, Division 2? Not a lot of Leipold’s out there but you can find good FCS coaches, just need the right one for our program

For Tony White to work all we have to do is find a young offensive genius who is analytically focused and a killer on the recruiting trail for the OC position...

Those fall off of trees nowadays. I mean plenty of those are available. Why wouldn't we just make that guy the head coach? I am sure if they check all those boxes they would have a good job already.
Yet we don’t pursue them…Beck is probably closest but still. Our focus was system guy….

There are plenty of position coaches that are ready for the next step and yet if we made that move the fanbase would yell “not enough experience”….

But I’d be looking for the next Lincoln or Lanning than some retread

This sounds like some i'm so in the know game

He coaches cornerbacks here and there. He coached here during seasons that are a big reason why the head coach is going to get fired.

Nebraska is pretty good on defense this year.
I can't.

People have been suggesting we drop out of p5 for the last 45 years. I graduated from Syracuse in 1978 and that was the talk then. Right before we built the Dome. I am so sick of the poor mouthing that Syracuse does. I will be honest with you. I don't believe it. I think we lie like two dollar whores. Are we at the top of the table. No. But we aren't the poor people with cups in our hands at the local super market. And spare me the talk about NIL. That is rather new. It doesn't explain the years before that. Do we have limatations? Of course. We have no recruiting hot base. We are expensive so we don't get walk on's like less expensive schools. The weather does hurt us. But we haven't been smart about our football program. And I will take the numbers you cited at the end of your post and not complain. But not being destroyed on national tv 3 weeks in a row. The right guy, a hustler, can make us competitive. And that is all I am asking for.
Being competitive!! I am right there with you..that is all I want as well. I think we just need to adjust our expectations just a little and a better coach can be found to meet those expectations. Sometimes, with hiring, you catch lightning in a bottle so to speak and you just hit it in a way that is way better than you even expected. That is what we need and have not found as of yet. Yes, we can be smarter in our program...We just need the right leaders. Class of 78...I bet we shared some cold, wet Saturdays sitting on cement seats in old Archbald Stadium...LOL...

You guys make too much of a distinction between offensive minded and defensive minded coaches. We have a so called offensive genius now. How is that working out? Defensive coaches are capable of hiring people that are innovative and get good offensive players. Freeman at ND and even Saleh for NYJ have done that.

What you don’t want is head coaches that serve those roles or meddle. See Dino or Josh McDaniels as examples

Exactly. I was going to say the same thing.

No I’m talking about OCs
Part of the reason I'm against defense head coach is because they tend to be stupid and tend to hate offense, even their own

I'm fine with a defensive head coach who has seen the light like stoops or Patterson (obviously not that caliber). I just think it's generally unlikely because fixing the offense with an air raid offense will prevent your defense from being great because of the practice issues

You guys make too much of a distinction between offensive minded and defensive minded coaches. We have a so called offensive genius now. How is that working out? Defensive coaches are capable of hiring people that are innovative and get good offensive players. Freeman at ND and even Saleh for NYJ have done that.

What you don’t want is head coaches that serve those roles or meddle. See Dino or Josh McDaniels as examples
Shafer and Groobers, last 2 defensive minded coaches, winning seasons between the two of them? 1

Here is my shot at it-
1. He’s not Al Golden who has a .500 record as a head coach. Some of that is time at temple but his Miami record is not great and they have talent in their backyard.
2. He’s been at cuse so he knows the major drawbacks.
3. He’s installed and added on to a system on defense in the 3-3-5. It’s been implemented and sustained. I’d like to think he would find someone to run this type of defense and then find someone similar to install a system with offense. In the 8 years Dino has been here I can’t really say what the system is other than to go fast which you can’t do anymore and he scrapped anyway.

Last edited:
There are plenty of examples of DCs being successful. Dan Lanning is a pretty good one…get over Grob and Shafer already.
Get over the two most recent Syracuse-related examples? History tends to be a good indicator of future. If the team historically struggles to be relevant offensively, you probably shouldn’t get a ball coach who has never coached offense.

Seriously, why when a team is looking for a new coach the average fans first thought is “who’s been a decent coach on our staff the last 5 years?” Tony was a bright spot in yet another bad era of Syracuse football, but I don’t want a first year head coach. And if what is being said about the amount of support we’re getting is true, we shouldn’t have to settle for one.

Tony White came in and instantly turned our defense around with subpar talent. His units have been even better than the numbers suggest, imo, because our offenses have consisted put them in terrible positions.

His tactical and development ability should be obvious even to the layman and by all accounts he was beloved by players.

It doesn’t have to be. We have the most unique home field in the country, and it could be a major advantage.

Early Dino seemed to get that(didn’t he say “we have a Dome and you don’t” or something?), and we pulled major upsets on VT and Clemson, and then went undefeated at home in 2018.

The right system should make us a nightmare to play in that facility. To me, having something unique like that means we aren’t the worst.

Also think being the only game in town could be an advantage over schools that nobody cares about in pro cities.
Can’t love this enough. We need a visionary who can use our uniqueness to the max. Will attract both players and young assistants.
Dino had this for a minute. Then with the big fat renewal he got lazy and entitled. It happens in business all the time. THIS IS NOT A BAD JOB. We are not f’in Temple or UConn

I would be okay with Tony White as head coach. He turned this defense into a Juggernaut while he was here. He turned around a putrid Nebraska defense in one year, he develops players and is a high character guy. Is a very good recruiter as well.

Keep Beck as OC, he hasn’t had much to work with this year. The players love him, he has a history of developing QBs, up and coming coach, White has a relationship with one year in the staff with him last year and by all accounts him and his family love Syracuse. Beck is a pretty good recruiter, relates to the kids well, and it would help keep our current QB in the class committed who is pretty dang good.

I wouldn’t mind bringing back Monroe and making him DC. He was a very good recruiter obviously. He now has a year under his belt as a P5 DC, and he called a great game last year in the bowl game. He develops players and puts players in the league. Our secondary was chuck full of studs when he was here. Him and White running the defense together would be fun.

Some other names to look at for position coaches.

David Walker (RB coach)-ex SU running back, just fired as the Bears RB coach

Keep Campanile at Tight Ends-he has been killing it recruiting in Jersey, he is respected, brings vast experience and knowledge

Keep Travis Fisher at Safeties-he is an up and coming coach. Relates well to the kids, brings NFL experience and has done well recruiting

Maybe make Rocky Long an advisor to the head coach or special assistant because he has a great relationship with Tony White. It being White’s first head coaching job he would need all the experience around him and Rocky is a great person for that.

We need a solid o-line hire. Our o-line has been pretty bad for awhile now. Need to hit a home run here. We see how important that position group is now

Get over the two most recent Syracuse-related examples? History tends to be a good indicator of future. If the team historically struggles to be relevant offensively, you probably shouldn’t get a ball coach who has never coached offense.
There is nothing that connects us to that history anymore. And we have a potential candidate that is neither of those dudes

If he had 2-3 years of HC experience (G5 or better) I might be OK, but as I’ve stated elsewhere… I'd prefer a HC from the offensive side with HC experience.

Someone who has done well in P5 who is looking to get back to a top team after a successful SU run would be great. Dan Mullen fills that role. Let's get it done! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom