Top college basketball announce teams? | Syracusefan.com

Top college basketball announce teams?

Alsacs

Living Legend
After last night’s chit show who are people’s favorite announce duos for college basketball.
My favorite all time team is Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas, Bill Raftery.
Them doing the 6OT game made that broadcast even better.

The best current team is Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas.
Beyond Jason Benetti and Dan Dakich I don’t think ESPN has another decent duo.

Ian Eagle and Bill Raftery is an excellent pair as well.

My point is ESPN needs to fix their pairings.

Last edited:
Their man job is to describe what's happening on the court. For us not to know who fouls are called on and how many the player has is unacceptable. That's also on the whole production team because they didn't have any graphics with that information either for the most part.

Their man job is to describe what's happening on the court. For us not to know who fouls are called on and how many the player has is unacceptable. That's also on the whole production team because they didn't have any graphics with that information either for the most part.
THIS THIS THIS. SO MUCH THIS

Also, I want to feel like they're having fun watching a game and talking about it.

Looking at you, Billy Packer, the most miserable announcer ever.

He does big Monday only.
I heard him calling UNC-NC State.
ACC big Monday started a week later because of the College football NC game being so late.

Must be a recent change. He used to do Saturday games too. I hope he’s the one choosing his workload because he works way too little and he’s ESPN’s most talented PBP guy in all sports.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites both current and past
  • McDonough - Bilas - Raftery
  • McDonough - Dicky V
  • Shulman - Bilas
  • Lundquist - Raftery
  • Gus Johnson
  • Eagle - Raftery

Last edited:
After last night’s chit show who are people’s favorite announce duos for college basketball.

Agreed, the Raf, Bilas and McDonough trio were the best. Love Raf the most because he was the voice of the Big East in the 80s, 90s and 00s! Raf and Ian Eagle are good. So are Shulman and Bilas. ESPN’s ACC college basketball broadcasts are a disaster right now. They’re cheapskates and let all the good talent like Raf and Gus Johnson go to FS1 because they didn’t want to pay. Fraschilla is good but they have him mostly working Big 12 games.

I like the same as you all have mentioned - McD, Raf, Eagle, Bilas, etc.

But the guy I hadn't even thought of his name until he did a game of ours recently again was Brando.

As soon as I heard his voice I was like - that's the dude that did our E8 game against Virginia!

I like the same as you all have mentioned - McD, Raf, Eagle, Bilas, etc.

But the guy I hadn't even thought of his name until he did a game of ours recently again was Brando.

As soon as I heard his voice I was like - that's the dude that did our E8 game against Virginia!
Kevin Harlan did the E8 game versus Virginia.
He does NBA for Turner and NFL for CBS.

Its. Too bad Noah eagle got a better job. He would be a star on ESPN.

Ian Eagle and Jim Spanarkel have been paired together on the NCAA tournament for at least a decade and are the best duo out there imo. They have also worked together for years as the TV duo for the NBA Nets.

My general rule of thumb is that I like color analysts who are all about the game and who don't try to make it about themselves. A little flair is fine but don't overdo it. Also let the game breathe and come up for air from time to time.

The best play by play guy of all time imo is another SU grad - Marv Albert.

Definitely has to include Jay bilas... I'm a big fan of his

My general rule of thumb is that I like color analysts who are all about the game and who don't try to make it about themselves. A little flair is fine but don't overdo it. Also let the game breathe and come up for air from time to time.

It was always a big game in Manley when Marv and Bucky Waters were calling the game.

Agreed. Marv was the best.

It was always a big game in Manley when Marv and Bucky Waters were calling the game.
'I can remember a Bucky Waters quote to this day when talking about Leo Rautins and his finesse style. "He's playing with a tuxedo on out there". Kinda harsh but he got the point across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom