Total conjecture thread. All invited | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Total conjecture thread. All invited

Mike Hopkins is not coming back. That door is closed. He is home in the West Coast in a league without any discernible powers. No Duke, NC to worry about every year.

Mike Hopkins is not coming back. That door is closed. He is home in the West Coast in a league without any discernible powers. No Duke, NC to worry about every year.

I agree that he's not coming back, but Mike's not the kind of guy to think Duke and UNC are a negative associated with this job. Quite the opposite. That's an opportunity as far as he's concerned.

I think it more likely JB recharges in the off season and comes back even more determined to prove the naysayers wrong.
Nice thought. But at his age, the mind tries to cash checks that the body can't answer. I think JB's best days as a coach are behind him. I wouldn't mind if he thought the time was right to move on. I doubt he will though. I think Jb loves being JB. And who is he if he isn't the Head coach of Syracuse basketball. And what would happen to Buddy (in JB's mind) if he left and another coach came in?

What a mess up by not having Hopkins take over last season. May forever be something we look back as the biggest mistake the program ever made, and what led to our possible downfall.

What a mess up by not having Hopkins take over last season. May forever be something we look back as the biggest mistake the program ever made, and what led to our possible downfall.
It was a mistake but we are a major program that can rebound with a number of different guys at the helm. Not just Hop

Maybe. Or maybe Hopkins levels out and doesn't excel long-term. No way of knowing right now.

Either way, I find it difficult to accept the viewpoint that the Syracuse job wouldn't be highly coveted, and that we wouldn't be able to land a top-notch / first tier caliber coach to fill the vacancy when it eventually opens up. Our fanbase needs to think bigger than just candidates with ties to the program, and shed the inferiority complex.

It was a mistake but we are a major program that can rebound with a number of different guys at the helm. Not just Hop
I understand that, but outside of guys who are paying $ for recruits (Sean Miller, maybe Duke?) who is bringing in the possibly next best recruiting class if they land Jaden McDaniels? Washington. Hop is a top 5 recruiter in the country like it or not. I doubt he pays a bag for recruits, just a great overall coach/recruiter

Maybe. Or maybe Hopkins levels out and doesn't excel long-term. No way of knowing right now.

Either way, I find it difficult to accept the viewpoint that the Syracuse job wouldn't be highly coveted, and that we wouldn't be able to land a top-notch / first tier caliber coach to fill the vacancy when it eventually opens up. Our fanbase needs to think bigger than just candidates with ties to the program, and shed the inferiority complex.
I can just imagine how much more coveted our job would be if we had California type weather, like 25k a night with great weather? Top 5 most desirable job in the country

Gonna earn his salary on this move for sure. Does Jim put pressure to hire Gmac/Red? Stay completely out of the way? Will be fascinating
JAB will not stay out of the way and he is more powerful than both Wildhack and the chancellor. So he will be involved. I think it will be similar to Dean Smith at UNC. My prediction is Red Autry.

JAB will not stay out of the way and he is more powerful than both Wildhack and the chancellor. So he will be involved. I think it will be similar to Dean Smith at UNC. My prediction is Red Autry.

I love Autry, but I just don’t want him as our next coach. I want an infusion of an entirely new coaching philosophy. And that’s not an insult to JB. I just think we need some new energy and an entirely new offensive, defensive and recruiting schemes. Basically, Dino Babers for the basketball program.

I love Autry, but I just don’t want him as our next coach. I want an infusion of an entirely new coaching philosophy. And that’s not an insult to JB. I just think we need some new energy and an entirely new offensive, defensive and recruiting schemes. Basically, Dino Babers for the basketball program.
I get that. I generally think people over look our positives when they go down the fresh guy path. We have had sustained success for 40 years and it makes people unable to see the extreme downside. I remember when Tennessee decided to fire Fulmer. I was more saying I think he will be the pick not that he is my pick.

I don't believe JB is more powerful at this stage than the AD or the Chancy. if Hop hadn't left, JB would no longer be the coach. JB is a bit tarnished. I don't think Wildhack or the chancy will allow JB to select Red.

I don't believe JB is more powerful at this stage than the AD or the Chancy. if Hop hadn't left, JB would no longer be the coach. JB is a bit tarnished. I don't think Wildhack or the chancy will allow JB to select Red.
Can you just explain how he is tarnished? I haven’t heard that before. Just a question not discrediting you.

Can you just explain how he is tarnished? I haven’t heard that before. Just a question not discrediting you.
I don't want to hit this hard but I think the second probation was not well taken. It set up the Chancy with a time table for JB to move on. Now, Hop left so that got sidetracked. I really believe that after all of this, plus some rather average (for us) seasons, JB's star isn't as bright as it once was. And this is a loose call but I think dino takes some of JB's heat. We have another Big Time coach on the hill.

After reading this thread, nobody knows nuthin'.
lol There is nothing to know. What did you expect? That someone knew when jb was going to call it quits? At this stage, only JB and God know.

I don't want to hit this hard but I think the second probation was not well taken. It set up the Chancy with a time table for JB to move on. Now, Hop left so that got sidetracked. I really believe that after all of this, plus some rather average (for us) seasons, JB's star isn't as bright as it once was. And this is a loose call but I think dino takes some of JB's heat. We have another Big Time coach on the hill.

And another thing to add is that he's a short timer.

Guys we were voted the 4th best job in the ACC after UNC/Duke and Louisville by the coaches before the season. We will get a good coach. I'm not worried.

Which probably translates to a top 15 national job. The highest tier right below Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and UNC.

Maybe it has changed slightly but with boosters and regents and other people I still think JAB has a lot of power. Just my opinion. The chancy took his shot at JAB and guess what Hop left and JAB got what he wanted. To me that is how you know who had the power. If this is such a great job and they could higher a younger high profile coach they could have done it when this happened but they didn't go that way.

tenor.gif

I remember at least half this board (not saying you) having similar sentiments about hop taking over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom