Total conjecture thread. All invited | Syracusefan.com

Total conjecture thread. All invited

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I have been wondering if recent events might serve to accelerate JB's retirement. I don't think it is inconceivable that JB could
reassess what's important in life and a decision could be reached that coaching is no longer such a priority. (I have no information one way or the other, and JB might just continue on.)

IF that were to happen, when would SU know? Would we reach out to Hop? (I am firmly in the Hop is not coming back camp, but would he come back to help SU in a time if unexpected need?). Would JB personally reach out to Hop? Would we look outside of the current staff or look inward?

I think we might be in for an intersting summer.

All I know is if this happens / alternatively, when the time eventually comes, it will be a career defining inflection point for Wildhack.

Gonna earn his salary on this move for sure. Does Jim put pressure to hire Gmac/Red? Stay completely out of the way? Will be fascinating

If Hop isn't coming back, then he's definitely not coming back just to "do SU a favor."

Hop has a good thing out West. Good recruiting areas, low expectations, and he's now connected nationally due to his 20+ years in the Northeast.

I really hope Buzz Williams is one of our first phone calls.

Hop gets the 1st call as a courtesy.

I don't know who gets the 2nd call.

Red will be considered. GMac isn't quite "seasoned" enough yet.

I can't see someone from a P5 school making a lateral move (unless we really open up the checkbook).

I have been wondering if recent events might serve to accelerate JB's retirement. I don't think it is inconceivable that JB could
reassess what's important in life and a decision could be reached that coaching is no longer such a priority. (I have no information one way or the other, and JB might just continue on.)

IF that were to happen, when would SU know? Would we reach out to Hop? (I am firmly in the Hop is not coming back camp, but would he come back to help SU in a time if unexpected need?). Would JB personally reach out to Hop? Would we look outside of the current staff or look inward?

I think it more likely JB recharges in the off season and comes back even more determined to prove the naysayers wrong.

Does Jim put pressure to hire Gmac

tenor.gif

Calhoun pretty much held UConn hostage and forced them to hire Ollie - he won a title with Calhoun’s players but 4 years after that he was out. I would think/hope JB would make his honest recommendations to Wildhack but not do what Calhoun did.

I still think the calls would go:

Hop
Oats (assuming it’s within the next 2 years and he’s still at Buffalo)
Red

Dino was a homerun hire, gotta make it 2 for 2

I think it more likely JB recharges in the off season and comes back even more determined to prove the naysayers wrong.
Just what we need is JB trying to convince us he can win with this offensive philosophy.

I mentioned on our way out on Monday night that we might've just seen Boeheim coach in person for the last time.

Or not.

If he were to hang it up, though, my guess is that he'd wait until close to the fall semester before announcing it. No coaching search, just promotion of an interim.

Ugh... on one hand he can coach... on the other hand he's Buzz Williams... Will admit tho, he has taken a chill pill this past season, almost like hes now taking his required meds
I would do terrible things if it meant Syracuse playing like VT does this season.

There is no doubt that the events of a couple of weeks ago are going to affect JB. How? Not sure.

Let’s roll out the possibility that JB doesn’t want to stay three more years...what if he stays two more - Buddy graduates in 3 years and grad transfers and JB steps down?

Plausible?

(Pure speculation here, no inside info).

There is no doubt that the events of a couple of weeks ago are going to affect JB. How? Not sure.

Let’s roll out the possibility that JB doesn’t want to stay three more years...what if he stays two more - Buddy graduates in 3 years and grad transfers and JB steps down?

Plausible?

(Pure speculation here, no inside info).

Buddy as a Senior All-American playing for someone else?

:vomit:

Hop gets the 1st call as a courtesy.

I don't know who gets the 2nd call.

Red will be considered. GMac isn't quite "seasoned" enough yet.

I can't see someone from a P5 school making a lateral move (unless we really open up the checkbook).
I fully agree. I believe that people here grossly over estimate the drawing power of SU to hire its next bb coach.

I mentioned on our way out on Monday night that we might've just seen Boeheim coach in person for the last time.

Or not.

If he were to hang it up, though, my guess is that he'd wait until close to the fall semester before announcing it. No coaching search, just promotion of an interim.

That’d put us in an awful spot ; it’s what Calhoun did

I fully agree. I believe that people here grossly over estimate the drawing power of SU to hire its next bb coach.

I don't care to comment on the original premise of this thread, but "grossly overestimate"? Why do you think that?

SU is a premium brand in the best college basketball conference in the nation. It draws more people to it's games than practically every other program. It is the defacto favorite college basketball program of the metro NYC area, even though the school is 250 miles away. Given what's gone down on the football side this season, there is every reason to expect that the next HC will be compensated generously.

I'm not suggesting that when the time comes we'll get Greg Poppovich to coach here. But to suggest that no one coaching at a P5 would come here seems far-fetched.

Last edited:
Ugh... on one hand he can coach... on the other hand he's Buzz Williams... Will admit tho, he has taken a chill pill this past season, almost like hes now taking his required meds
He is looking pretty dapper with his vests and glasses these days.

5c7dc65551c1a.image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom