Total conjecture thread. All invited | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Total conjecture thread. All invited

Mike Hopkins is not coming back. That door is closed. He is home in the West Coast in a league without any discernible powers. No Duke, NC to worry about every year.
Duke and UNC will also be going through coaching changes in the next few years. It will be interesting to see what happens with the transitions at SU, Duke and UNC. It might be a great time for a young gun to step in and establish a program like Bennett has done at UVa. Might be easier without the 3 HOF coaches in the league.

Present Jay Wright with a blank check

There is no doubt that the events of a couple of weeks ago are going to affect JB. How? Not sure.

Let’s roll out the possibility that JB doesn’t want to stay three more years...what if he stays two more - Buddy graduates in 3 years and grad transfers and JB steps down?

Plausible?

(Pure speculation here, no inside info).

If Buddy makes it to his junior season here with his dad still the coach, he's going to be averaging double figures and will be an important contributor on the team. He won't have to "grad transfer" anywhere so he can play real minutes.

JAB will not stay out of the way and he is more powerful than both Wildhack and the chancellor. So he will be involved. I think it will be similar to Dean Smith at UNC. My prediction is Red Autry.

That would truly be a shame. I don't see anything from Autry that makes me think he's ready for the job and will excel at it.

Present Jay Wright with a blank check

He is very well paid, has Philadelphia as his recruiting ground and he has won 2 titles at Nova. He never has to leave.

Our guy should be someone in his 40s who has coached at a couple places and won, and someone who recruits the northeast well.

There is no doubt that the events of a couple of weeks ago are going to affect JB. How? Not sure.

Let’s roll out the possibility that JB doesn’t want to stay three more years...what if he stays two more - Buddy graduates in 3 years and grad transfers and JB steps down?

Plausible?

(Pure speculation here, no inside info).
Never in a million years would either of these things happen. Buddy loves Syracuse, grew up watching and rooting for Orange. It’s in his blood. If JB retired tomorrow, Buddy wouldn’t go play elsewhere as a grad transfer. He bleeds orange. Also, JB isn’t going to retire before Buddy graduates. I’m shocked Jake would even think or suggest anything like this, even as pure conjecture.

Last edited:
I do wonder whether the AD would like JB out sooner rather than later, and whether the horrible accident might create a pretext for his exit -- in the sense that JB is reassessing priorities for his remaining years, etc.

I don't care to comment on the original premise of this thread, but "grossly overestimate"? Why do you think that?

SU is a premium brand in the best college basketball conference in the nation. It draws more people to it's games than practically every other program. It is the defacto favorite college basketball program of the metro NYC area, even though the school is 250 miles away. Given what's gone down on the football side this season, there is every reason to expect that the next HC will be compensated generously.

I'm not suggesting that when the time comes we'll get Greg Poppovich to coach here. But to suggest that no one coaching at a P5 would come here seems far-fetched.
Ignore this st bonaventure clown. Talk about a program that’s grossly overestimated by its tiny delusional fan base.

Mike Hopkins is not coming back. That door is closed. He is home in the West Coast in a league without any discernible powers. No Duke, NC to worry about every year.
The PAC 12? A league that hasn’t been relevant for most of the past two decades outside of a couple of teams. Over time, Hop will realize the limitations out there.

Maybe it has changed slightly but with boosters and regents and other people I still think JAB has a lot of power. Just my opinion. The chancy took his shot at JAB and guess what Hop left and JAB got what he wanted. To me that is how you know who had the power. If this is such a great job and they could higher a younger high profile coach they could have done it when this happened but they didn't go that way.
wow, Seattle. You really believe Syracuse isn’t one of the top 10 or 15 jobs in the country? I’m shocked you’re in that camp.

Nice thought. But at his age, the mind tries to cash checks that the body can't answer. I think JB's best days as a coach are behind him. I wouldn't mind if he thought the time was right to move on. I doubt he will though. I think Jb loves being JB. And who is he if he isn't the Head coach of Syracuse basketball. And what would happen to Buddy (in JB's mind) if he left and another coach came in?

Agree with most, but I don't get the puzzling last sentence. Buddy's brother and sisiter survive just fine. Of all the players to worry for, you pick the millionaire ;)

I hate the idea of any legend naming/grooming their successor. The coaches job is to coach. The AD's job is to hire.

Whether you like JB choosing or not, no one associated with SU is in a better position to know what it takes to run the SU program than JB. I would assume that he would look at certain things that he is currently doing and realize that that is not the model for success on a go forward, without necessarily admitting that he isn't going to succeed doing it e.g. I don't think he'd be looking for a coach that isn't really both feet in on the recruiting grind. I also don't think he would limit the pool of candidates to coaches that would run a zone defense.

Now, whether you agree that JB can use his knowledge of SU, the program and the game in general and look at the candidates impartially is an entirely different question. But I don't think that Wildhack is anywhere near as qualified to make the decision as JB?

The PAC 12? A league that hasn’t been relevant for most of the past two decades outside of a couple of teams. Over time, Hop will realize the limitations out there.
You mean opportunity. Easy wins, conference championships, high seeds.

He is very well paid, has Philadelphia as his recruiting ground and he has won 2 titles at Nova. He never has to leave.

Our guy should be someone in his 40s who has coached at a couple places and won, and someone who recruits the northeast well.

Agreed, and he's definitely not leaving for SU. He's already 57 and he and his wife are both Philadelphia natives. His three kids are relatively entrenched in the Philadelphia area. Oldest son is on staff at Nova, middle son works locally and daughter is at Penn. I don't see him leaving his current situation to come north to Cuse no matter how heavily loaded the Brinks truck is. Could you convince him to leave Nova to replace K or Roy? Maybe, AZ as a pre-retirement destination?

You mean opportunity. Easy wins, conference championships, high seeds.

You sure about the high seeds part Capt? Bracket matrix has their average seed at 8.46 after winning the conference this year.

Last edited:
As much as i want to see the wild one go outside i just dont believe its going to happen. John has been so close to JB and this staff that i cant imagine him going outside as it would most likely result in Red, Griff, and Gmac losing their jobs. The smart money is on Red. Gmac becomes the associate HC and Red hopefully hires a great recruiter. Count on it.

The smart money is on Red.

Wouldn't you rather Autry go to a mid-major program for 3-4 years and actually demonstrate that he can be a head coach first?

I want to get out of this culture we have that only SU grads can be assistants and head coaches here. It limits our options severely.

One of the guys on Bracketmatrix has 22-8 Kansas as a 1 seed. They should kick him out for not taking it seriously.

As much as i want to see the wild one go outside i just dont believe its going to happen. John has been so close to JB and this staff that i cant imagine him going outside as it would most likely result in Red, Griff, and Gmac losing their jobs. The smart money is on Red. Gmac becomes the associate HC and Red hopefully hires a great recruiter. Count on it.
That will be disappointing - great opportunity for JW to put his stamp on the athletic program. I know everyone loves him but so IMHO he looks like he works for JB.

wow, Seattle. You really believe Syracuse isn’t one of the top 10 or 15 jobs in the country? I’m shocked you’re in that camp.
I’m not saying it isn’t a top job I’m saying they had their chance to hold JB to the timetable and didn’t do it. They could have hired a young coach who wasn’t a Syracuse guy. They decided to sign JB to an extension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom