Tough 5 Years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tough 5 Years

PeteCalvin said:
UF and Donovan have done nothing since they won in '07. This year they ran roughshod over a crappy conference and just happen to slide into the number one ranking after everyone else lost. They aren't as dominant as the talking heads are making them out to be. They have not been an "elite" program since the titles, by any stretch.

Maybe so, but they beat a better team than Dayton to get to this years sweet sixteen.

Not really hard to understand. With the teams we've had in the last 5 years, the expectation is better March results than we've gotten. Frustrating that it hasn't happened.

OK. So you are angry that the team has been too good. I got it now.

Did you purposely use the past 3 years as an example? Because they did win it all 4 years ago.

I would gladly take losses to a 15 and 14 seed if it had a NC right around it.
Just pointing out those bad losses. I'm a big cuse fan and it sucks losing today, but the game is over and I have moved on. I'm looking forward to next year, can't wait. I'm not going to be a guy who vents on a message board like a lot of people have. I'm just a fan, they don't owe me anything.

OK. So you are angry that the team has been too good. I got it now.

Guess we just have different goals for the team. I'd like to see titles, especially when we've performed do well in the regular season. Guess that makes me a bad fan.

Perspective = never being disappointed about how a season ends?
Perspective = realizing only one team ends the season happy every year and we have been exceptionally fortunate over the last 5 years with the amount of talent we've gotten to watch.

There are also bigger things in life than a bunch of 18-22 year olds playing a game. So that's added perspective.

Guess we just have different goals for the team. I'd like to see titles, especially when we've performed do well in the regular season. Guess that makes me a bad fan.

I don't know about bad fan. Immature and unreasonable, yes...

RichmondCuse said:
I love the holier than thou crowd that talks down to people who post disappointment on a freaking sports message board.

People come here to vent and seek serious discussion. I know I do. Nothing wrong with that. But some people seem to think we should just to be happy with a lot of wins the last five years.

We shouldn't be settling for that.

I love the holier than thou crowd that talks down to people who post disappointment on a freaking sports message board.
I love the overly cynical people who get irrationally irritated by people suggesting it's a game and there are worse tragedies in life than a college basketball team losing, particularly when they will then almost undoubtedly come back saying, "Well you aren't a true fan because you aren't punching kittens!"

I hate watching us lose. God knows I've nearly broken my hand punching walls in frustration many, many times over the years. But it's a freaking game. Life will go on. The sun will rise tomorrow. And Syracuse basketball will live to play another day and get to try again for another championship.

I love the overly cynical people who get irrationally irritated by people suggesting it's a game and there are worse tragedies in life than a college basketball team losing, particularly when they will then almost undoubtedly come back saying, "Well you aren't a true fan because you aren't punching kittens!"

I hate watching us lose. God knows I've nearly broken my hand punching walls in frustration many, many times over the years. But it's a freaking game. Life will go on. The sun will rise tomorrow. And Syracuse basketball will live to play another day and get to try again for another championship.

Wasn't really addressing you. But I think expressing disappointment doesn't equal not having perspective. Of course there are more important things. Does that mean I shouldn't care?

I'm not being that guy. But you aren't just expressing disappointment with a tough and frustrating loss. We're all upset. You are saying the best 5 year period in program history has been a disappointment and is not good enough performance for you. I equate that to being completely out of touch with reality because in sports we don't always get what we want. Syracuse is never going to win 4 championships in 5 years. We were in a position to have a really good shot at a championship in several of the last 5 years. I hate to be the one to tell you - that is basically as good as it gets in this sport.

I'm not being that guy. But you aren't just expressing disappointment with a tough and frustrating loss. We're all upset. You are saying the best 5 year period in program history has been a disappointment and is not good enough performance for you. I equate that to being completely out of touch with reality because in sports we don't always get what we want. Syracuse is never going to win 4 championships in 5 years. We were in a position to have a really good shot at a championship in several of the last 5 years. I hate to be the one to tell you - that is basically as good as it gets in this sport.

Well I just wanted one.

Well I just wanted one.

This. This is exactly my thought on the situation and why I mentioned the fact that 98% of all schools would trade with us right now. You don't think Kentucky last year (and this year, really), or Duke, or Carolina, are disappointed with how their recent seasons have gone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom