Class of 2016 - Transfer Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Transfer Thread

And I don't blame them for doing it one bit, either.

I can understand why they would do it but I absolutely oppose them doing it. It's absolutely disgraceful. Change the rules rather than with a kid's future. That just isn't right. Not right at all. Oh Lord

I can understand why they would do it but I absolutely oppose them doing it. It's absolutely disgraceful. Change the rules rather than with a kid's future. That just isn't right. Not right at all. Oh Lord
I would argue the same thing is happening at D-league schools like UK. They pitch the easy-NBA route and kids take it hook, line and sinker. UK makes big money by touting examples like Karl-Towns. And a few are lucky enough to cash in. Others aren't as lucky. They don't get drafted, or they get injured and wind up afterthoughts. For these kids, not only do they not have pro-ball, they don't have a degree .. or even a legitimate class ... on their resume. It's certainly not what "higher education" is supposed to mean.

Last edited:
I would argue the same thing is happening at D-league schools like UK. They pitch the easy-NBA route and kids take it hook, line and sinker. UK makes big money by touting examples like Karl-Towns. And a few are lucky enough to cash in. Others aren't as lucky. They don't get drafted, or they get injured and wind up afterthoughts. For these kids, not only do they not have pro-ball, they don't have a degree .. or even a legitimate class ... on their resume. It's certainly not what "higher education" is supposed to mean.

Yeah, but the big difference is that in the case of those mid-majors that are keeping a young man from graduating for their own gain, that's just flat out malicious. That is INTENTIONALLY putting a young man behind the eight ball. That's flat out mafia style sh-t. Not only should they be sued, but worse should happen to them (i.e. black balled from college basketball).

Then you are part of the problem, the one where sports is put ahead of academics.

When jobs and family incomes are on the line and coaches are asked to win by administration, I understand why these things are done.

It's not as if these kids are not getting degrees. But with the rules set up the way they are, it is a deterrent for them to allow a redshirt to graduate in four years.

Really? You don't blame institutions of higher education for preventing kids from completing their educational requirements?

I do.

The cases I'm referring to are specific in nature, and it is not preventing them from getting an education.

When coaches are asked to win championships and be competitive, and you have tampering from higher levels and a "waiver wire" for kids who redshirt during their initial four years, then I understand why its done. And I do not blame them for being selfish because if they aren't they'll be unemployed.

And yet coaches like Calipari continue to use this tactic and make huge money because of these kids he lures to their program. If the players are from a lower end social economic life they believe fast and furious. In some respects you can't blame them for falling for this this line

The cases I'm referring to are specific in nature, and it is not preventing them from getting an education.

When coaches are asked to win championships and be competitive, and you have tampering from higher levels and a "waiver wire" for kids who redshirt during their initial four years, then I understand why its done. And I do not blame them for being selfish because if they aren't they'll be unemployed.
Preventing a kid from graduating absolutely is preventing a kid from getting an education.

There is no excuse for this. None. Kids getting through school > coach's having job security.

Preventing a kid from graduating absolutely is preventing a kid from getting an education.

There is no excuse for this. None. Kids getting through school > coach's having job security.

First of all, these kids are graduating. Please do not get it twisted. It's a timing thing and nothing more.

Second of all, it is very easy for you to say that there isn't an excuse for this. You do not get paid and keep/lose your job based on your best player getting poached by bigger schools free of charge.

I get what you're trying to say and in a perfect world I'd agree with you. But I'm not naive enough to think that bigger schools aren't doing worse. We know for a fact they are.

First of all, these kids are graduating. Please do not get it twisted. It's a timing thing and nothing more.

Second of all, it is very easy for you to say that there isn't an excuse for this. You do not get paid and keep/lose your job based on your best player getting poached by bigger schools free of charge.

I get what you're trying to say and in a perfect world I'd agree with you. But I'm not naive enough to think that bigger schools aren't doing worse. We know for a fact they are.
Timing matters. Plus, if these are student-athletes that would graduate and then get a year of master's education elsewhere, that matters.

It's funny actually - part of my job is running a talent incubator for my company. I lose all of my best people all the time. I deal with it. So I actually feel pretty strongly about this personally. It's a tool move to hold someone back for your own gain. Just because people do it and other people accept that as reality doesn't make it any less wrong. It's even more wrong I'd say the greater the stakes.

I give you credit for taking an unpopular stance, but if coaches and schools are actually preventing students from graduating that honestly might even be something for an accrediting body to look into.

When jobs and family incomes are on the line and coaches are asked to win by administration, I understand why these things are done.

It's not as if these kids are not getting degrees. But with the rules set up the way they are, it is a deterrent for them to allow a redshirt to graduate in four years.
You are wrong on this. Getting a degree is what one goes to college for. That is the school's mission.

Timing matters. Plus, if these are student-athletes that would graduate and then get a year of master's education elsewhere, that matters.

It's funny actually - part of my job is running a talent incubator for my company. I lose all of my best people all the time. I deal with it. So I actually feel pretty strongly about this personally. It's a tool move to hold someone back for your own gain. Just because people do it and other people accept that as reality doesn't make it any less wrong. It's even more wrong I'd say the greater the stakes.

I give you credit for taking an unpopular stance, but if coaches and schools are actually preventing students from graduating that honestly might even be something for an accrediting body to look into.

I'm not faulting anyone for looking at it differently than I do. In fact, I understand that most do and completely get the educational side of it. I went to college too, and value what I received while at SU.

But I have a lot of friends at the mid-major level - coaching basketball and a number of other sports. And I have seen first hand how these types of things can affect careers and lives.

In every other sector of life/business, if a director from the top earning and most popular arm of my mid-sized firm left to take a job at a Fortune 500 company, nobody could blame her/him and the board/CEO would understand and go out and hire someone else at 80-85% capacity.

Problem is that isn't necessarily possible in college basketball. And whether everyone likes it or not, it is absolutely a business as well as an educational tool.

Last edited:
I'm not faulting anyone for looking at it differently than I do. In fact, I understand that most do and completely get the educational side of it. I went to college too, and value what I received while at SU.

But I have a lot of friends at the mid-major level - coaching basketball and a number of other sports. And I have seen first hand how these types of things can affect careers and lives.

In every other sector of live/business, if a director from the top earning and most popular arm of my mid-sized firm left to take a job at a Fortune 500 company, nobody could blame her/him and the board/CEO would understand and go out and hire someone else at 80-85% capacity.

Problem is that isn't necessarily possible in college basketball. And whether everyone likes it or not, it is absolutely a business as well as an educational tool.
That's fine. I'll concede the point once the NCAA allows student-athletes to profit from their name and likeness.

Yeah, but the big difference is that in the case of those mid-majors that are keeping a young man from graduating for their own gain, that's just flat out malicious. That is INTENTIONALLY putting a young man behind the eight ball. That's flat out mafia style sh-t. Not only should they be sued, but worse should happen to them (i.e. black balled from college basketball).
Pay Pal's operation is pretty brazen ... but you might be right. The MM situation is more like sabotage than fraud.

I can appreciate the general sentiment of your post -- essentially saying why wouldn't a mid-major try to protect it's program from the sharks that are trying pick off their best talent? And why would a mid-major coach not try to do everything he can do to have success when success is the very thing keeping him employed and/or on track to coaching at a big-time school.

I get that. But I'd also argue that you've got some flawed logic beyond those baseline points.

For one -- what big schools are doing is irrelevant. The idea that schools are doing everything they can to bend or skirt the rules is fair, but I'm not sure how it matters here. Is UK buying players? Probably but I'm not really sure how that applies here.

secondly -- you also have to buy the narrative that a guy gets fired b/c he unexpectedly loses his best player. In 15 years at Drexel, Flint had never reached the NCAAs and he hadn't been over .500 in the previous three seasons before this season's debacle. Then, in 15-16, yes he gets hurt losing a huge piece off the team but he still only managed to win 6 games. That's not good no matter what. So did Flint get fired b/c of that player? I'm not really buying that.

Lastly, aren't coaches at these schools doing the 'come here and get an education' thing while recruiting? They all do it, right? We all know it's BS and that we really care about hoops, but we all do that thing. Well, there is a lot of bad things about the NCAA but rewarding kids who actually achieve the pretty remarkable combination of excelling at a sport while completing a degree early is not one of those bad things. It's a sucky thing for those basketball programs and for those coaches -- but if you're going to talk at all about education in a recruitment, then you better stick by it if a kid has a chance to work on a grad degree and further his hoops career three or four years later.

This kid is a good shooter, decent athlete and good size at 6'9:
2016-05-31_1555.png