Trap Game | Syracusefan.com

Trap Game

Army is only a trap game if the team looks forward to Clemson. Rocky Long is too experienced to allow that on defense. I believe Dino is too experienced to allow the offense to look ahead. The Orange will be prepared for Army, thoough there will be limited video...

I think Army has the makings of a classic trap game. That and their scheme as well as how hard they work, make this a game we need keepour focus on.

Oh, for pete's sake...

I get that the past 23 years haven't seen Syracuse good very often, but this team is GOOD. Enjoy it.

No need to always fear the worst.

They have a new scheme. No more wishbone option whatever that thang was. But, yes, they will never quit.

They still run a form of it, just out of shotgun. That said, stop their QB, you stop them. This game may be a running shootout between Army's QB and Shrader. whoever runs the most, wins.

I think we have to spread them out and throw the ball 40 or 50 times. Trying to shorten the game and grind it out on the ground plays into their hands they practice against a mobile QB and option looks. Got to get our WRs some confidence. I don't want Shrader or Allen taking too many hits either.

They still run a form of it, just out of shotgun. That said, stop their QB, you stop them. This game may be a running shootout between Army's QB and Shrader. whoever runs the most, wins.

I disagree 144%.

We have a vast size & speed advantage w our WR’s vs Army DB’s.

Everybody says they don’t want to see Shredder running so much,
and
that they also want the WR’s to step up and make an impact on the game.

This is the game for that.

Also - as good as the Army QB is at running, is how bad he is at passing.
Rocky will make him run against a stacked box, and run blitz them early and often.

IF he makes a play or 2 throwing it, you live with that.
But otherwise trust our DB’s to hold their own vs Army receivers, and everybody else keys on the run game.

Last edited:
They have a new scheme. No more wishbone option whatever that thang was. But, yes, they will never quit.

I watched their last game. They still run primarily option.

We are currently #5 in Total Defense, and #21 nationally in Total Offense.

Army does not make the Top 50 in either. They have some stocky guys who are physical. They play hard, but they don't have a lot of great athletes out there.

Army has the #9 rushing game in the country. We are #10.

Last game, they had over 40 minutes of possession. They grind down the clock with 8 and 10 minute drives. There won't be a lot of possessions in this game, unless we are scoring quickly on big plays.

This is another game where getting a 2 score lead will change the complexion of what Army can do on offense.

I see Cuse trying to protect Shrader by not running him. Save that for Clemson. Which means we lose a main weapon and are easier to defend. If he sits back and throws, I could envision a couple INTs to keep Army in it. This has all the makings of a one score game.

I really don’t know why people are worrying about this game. Yes Army is tough and gritty, they always are. But ULM held them to 13 points. Their 2 wins are against an FCS school and a rebuilding UTSA team. UTSA struggled to score the first 2 weeks but scored 30 on Army without their starting QB. We roll.

What did the poster write that was so terrible. He said we need to keep our focus. Big deal. This board has become really childish the last few weeks with attacking anyone who makes any observations that are perceived as negative. This board is tame as hell. It’s almost entirely positive right now, as it should be. But people need to grow a pair if they’re going to get upset about someone saying we should stay focused. What.

What did the poster write that was so terrible. He said we need to keep our focus. Big deal. This board has become really childish the last few weeks with attacking anyone who makes any observations that are perceived as negative. This board is tame as hell. It’s almost entirely positive right now, as it should be. But people need to grow a pair if they’re going to get upset about someone saying we should stay focused. What.
We have a little stress from previous experience. Even in the game yesterday I was waiting for the “well there it is” moment. Almost was with the Purdue refs giving them back the ball on the fumble.

We have a little stress from previous experience. Even in the game yesterday I was waiting for the “well there it is” moment. Almost was with the Purdue refs giving them back the ball on the fumble.
Agree with your comments but weren't the refs ACC refs?

Yeah, I just don’t understand the attacking posters for wondering whether the WR’s could step up this week. Completely fair and logical question. Then for OP to say, we gotta stay focused this week. Yeah, we do. Why’s it a big deal to say that. Makes no sense.

Shut up, qdawgg! :cool:

Why are you characterizing it as "attacking?" More like pushing back on the notion of characterizing it as a "trap game." It would be a shock -- an absolute shock -- if Army could beat us. Did anyone watch them play on Friday night?

I'm expecting that it will be more like the first two games, where we get a big lead and play lots of subs, than a white-knuckle game.

So, sure -- we need to stay focused. Just like every game. And sure, Army is well-conditioned and will play hard. But a trap game? Nah. Our team seems unusually focused [see: road win in a tough environment last night, with a rowdy crowd].

Sometimes the PTSD gets deep around here.

I really don’t know why people are worrying about this game. Yes Army is tough and gritty, they always are. But ULM held them to 13 points. Their 2 wins are against an FCS school and a rebuilding UTSA team. UTSA struggled to score the first 2 weeks but scored 30 on Army without their starting QB. We roll.
There you go being negative again, but that is your rep I've heard :)

Shut up, qdawgg! :cool:

Why are you characterizing it as "attacking?" More like pushing back on the notion of characterizing it as a "trap game." It would be a shock -- an absolute shock -- if Army could beat us. Did anyone watch them play on Friday night?

I'm expecting that it will be more like the first two games, where we get a big lead and play lots of subs, than a white-knuckle game.

So, sure -- we need to stay focused. Just like every game. And sure, Army is well-conditioned and will play hard. But a trap game? Nah. Our team seems unusually focused [see: road win in a tough environment last night, with a rowdy crowd].

Sometimes the PTSD gets deep around here.

We’ll agree to disagree. Which is fine of course. We’re going to win, I have zero doubts. I have no doubts the team will bring it this week. I also didn’t get flustered when I read someone implied it could be a trap game. Some of the posts the last few weeks seem to be heavy handed responses compared to what’s being written. Just my impression.

Negative posters last week: “beat Purdue and people will go to the army game”

Negative posters this week: “beat army and people will go to the clemson game”

Attendance will be up from the first Two weeks for sure. That said if anyone is expecting 40K+ for Army at Noon it's not being realistic

Maybe. I tend to think we will not see Shrader run much in this game. We should be able to beat them other ways without subjecting Shrader to a lot of hits on designed runs. All bets are off if we need to run him to win.

We will need Shrader fully healthy for the Clemson game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom