True Detective, Season 2 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

True Detective, Season 2

Vince Vaughn is still awful. Just absolutely terrible in this role.

The three cops are all cliches. The shoot out was cool I guess but I just don't care about what happens.

I'm also not into Ballers or the Brink. Disappointing having little to enjoy on HBO for the summer.

The new David Simon mini series will probably be great

djcon57 said:
The new David Simon mini series will probably be great

Great point. That looks incredible.

I'm also not into Ballers or the Brink. Disappointing having little to enjoy on HBO for the summer.
I will probably stick with all three shows just because there isn't much else on at the moment. HBO has let me down for the first time ever.

Ballers is surprisingly the best of the three. At least it fulfills the meathead dream void left by Entourage.

I will probably stick with all three shows just because there isn't much else on at the moment. HBO has let me down for the first time ever.

Ballers is surprisingly the best of the three. At least it fulfills the meathead dream void left by Entourage.

Ballers isn't terrible, I just don't understand why its necessary. "Meathead dream void" is an apt description.

It's crazy that they can go from Silicon Valley and Veep to these two CBS style comedies.

This is the worst I've felt about HBO since John From Cincinnati forced Deadwood off the air.

I guess I'm still watching because there's nothing on Sunday evenings. I have reserved that spot for HBO for years, and almost always loved their shows. This is the worst one they've had imo. Yeah there was some action, but it's just a sloppy and cheesy show overall. And I second that, I could care less what happens. The plot, a high speed rail, is way in the background, and could care less. The only character I remotely care about is Rachel McAdams. She plays her role well. And it's half way over already with no clarity or rhythm.

Had no idea David Simon has something coming. That could easily save things..

Vince Vaughn is still awful. Just absolutely terrible in this role.

The three cops are all cliches. The shoot out was cool I guess but I just don't care about what happens.

I agree with you about Vince Vaughn - I feel like he's the same exact guy whether he's in this role or Wedding Crashers. I think Colin Farrell has been excellent.

I actually thought that shootout last night was terrible - it felt so fake. A police glock holds 10 rounds, and they must have fired 500 shots. And why was Rachel McAdams chasing a van full of Mexicans with automatic weapons? And why wasn't a SWAT team immediately called? I know I'm overthinking this but I like when violent scenes feel authentic. The scene in Season 1 where they rob the drug house in the projects left me in awe, by comparison.

But overall, I think this season has been good, and is still better than most of what's on television.

Yeah, the fact you plan a raid and your whole police crew has only pistols, against known bad guys that you have to assume have autos, is bringing a knife to a gun fight. Totally agree it felt very fake, and good point on the shootout last season, that was great.

I guess I'm still watching because there's nothing on Sunday evenings. I have reserved that spot for HBO for years, and almost always loved their shows. This is the worst one they've had imo. Yeah there was some action, but it's just a sloppy and cheesy show overall. And I second that, I could care less what happens. The plot, a high speed rail, is way in the background, and could care less. The only character I remotely care about is Rachel McAdams. She plays her role well. And it's half way over already with no clarity or rhythm.

Had no idea David Simon has something coming. That could easily save things..

McAdams is the only bright spot, but her character is written as a cliche. That's obviously not her fault; and after the success of season 1 I can't blame any of the actors for signing on to this. Collin Farrell has improved and Taylor Kitsch always seems to be good enough in whatever he's been in since Friday Night Lights.

The high speed rail and the corruption surrounding that was interesting to me because it reminded me of the water issues in Chinatown. But I'm over it.

My other issue: the bit parts really are cartoon characters. The gangster with gold teeth! The (I don't know what the hell he was supposed to be) guy with the leopard robe and man-thong spouting 1930's movie gangster lines. The troubled daughter in a hookah bar. I just can't take the show seriously.

Seriously, HBO has been my Sunday viewing since the Sopranos. I'm obviously not giving up on the network, but the era of "HBO can do no wrong" is over. The only Sunday night show I'm enjoying right now is the Last Ship and I usually don't watch it until its been sitting on my DVR for a week or two. Ray Donovan is fine, but I don't care about any of the characters and could care less about what happens. It's background noise.

I wish I knew how bad True Detective was going to be because I would have saved some episodes of OITNB.

I agree with you about Vince Vaughn - I feel like he's the same exact guy whether he's in this role or Wedding Crashers. I think Colin Farrell has been excellent.

I actually thought that shootout last night was terrible - it felt so fake. A police glock holds 10 rounds, and they must have fired 500 shots. And why was Rachel McAdams chasing a van full of Mexicans with automatic weapons? And why wasn't a SWAT team immediately called? I know I'm overthinking this but I like when violent scenes feel authentic. The scene in Season 1 where they rob the drug house in the projects left me in awe, by comparison.

But overall, I think this season has been good, and is still better than most of what's on television.

I screamed internally: "HOW THE F DO THESE IDIOTS NOT CALL FOR BACK UP AND WHY ISN'T THERE A BATTALION OF COPS ON THE WAY."

If you go back and watch Season 1 of True Detective, you will realize how much it was carried by McConaughey and Harrelson. That season was also a cliche-fest, but it worked.

I screamed internally: "HOW THE F DO THESE IDIOTS NOT CALL FOR BACK UP AND WHY ISN'T THERE A BATTALION OF COPS ON THE WAY."

There was a discussion before they started down the street about SWAT or something not being available, but she said f it, let's go anyway.

I'm looking forward to the final season of Strikeback starting at the end of the month. Love that show - been binge watching it the last few nights on Cinemax.

There was a discussion before they started down the street about SWAT or something not being available, but she said f it, let's go anyway.

I'm looking forward to the final season of Strikeback starting at the end of the month. Love that show - been binge watching it the last few nights on Cinemax.

It's also possible that it was a suicide mission the mayor/chief sent them on to close the case.

The last episode w/ the shootout served no purpose. It didn't advance the story in any way. I haven't watched season 1, but everyone I know who saw it says it's fantastic so I was really excited for season 2. Really disappointed so far. And yes, Vince Vaughn is comically bad. He can only play one role, Vince Vaughn, the sometimes funny wise-ass.

NKR1978 said:
Vince Vaughn is still awful. Just absolutely terrible in this role. The three cops are all cliches. The shoot out was cool I guess but I just don't care about what happens. I'm also not into Ballers or the Brink. Disappointing having little to enjoy on HBO for the summer.

Ballers is what it is. Kind of fun, mostly stupid but watchable. Saw one and a half eps of The Brink, it is pretty horrible.

I enjoyed last night episode except for the seen with Paul and his mother. The idea that he a bag filled with $20,000 with that woman and was actually shocked she took it is just unbelievable.

Any thoughts on the most recent episode? At least this one had some action. I still don't like Vince Vaughn's character or acting or lines though.
""Frankly, Blake, with what I'm planning lately, I'm chagrined at your brunch etiquette. This is our first and last meal together. For today. We live in a world of reciprocal ambivalencies and inherited griefs. And I can't even get my avocados to grow. So if your countenance doesn't ing unfix itself, I'm all done slicing pineapple rings for you, pal. In fact, I'm gonna start pissing your name all over these walls. And I can't even spell.""

I've fallen asleep during every episode so far. The plot is so jumbled I can't keep track of What the main point of the story is supposed to be. The rape, or the absentee mother or the hari krishna dad???? What??

Maybe this is because I haven't seen any of season 1 but I really like it. While I haven't been blown away by Vaughn, I have found him to be at least decent. At times pretty good actually, the scene where he wakes up the mayor comes to mind. I'm really enjoying all 3 of HBOs offerings currently. I didn't like The Brink after episode 1 but it's steadily gotten better.

And yeah, they did discuss that SWAT was unavailable prior to the raid and I don't think it was just an unlucky coincidence that they walked into an ambush.

ok, tonight's episode was pretty good although I'm still trying to fit all of the different plot lines together

ok, tonight's episode was pretty good although I'm still trying to fit all of the different plot lines together
Yeah, way too jumbled. They could cut out a few side "stories" and it would be way better. I still say Vince is the worst part of the series. I just can't buy into him or the show. After a tense sit down, he threatens with if you ever pull a gun on me again, blah blah blah. And only "two espisodes left".

I finally got caught up last night. I thought the last 2 episodes were the best so far. Not nearly as good as last season, but getting better.

Nobody commenting after this past Sunday? Did you all give up? moqui , ssbriefcase , KellySyracuse NKR1978 ?

I was very disappointed with the last scene. First off, that guy (the one who did the deed) in that spot was pure movie magic - why that location? There's no way he could be sure he'd come out of there. Secondly, his was the only character I am actually interested in this season.

Nobody commenting after this past Sunday? Did you all give up? moqui , ssbriefcase , KellySyracuse NKR1978 ?

I was very disappointed with the last scene. First off, that guy (the one who did the deed) in that spot was pure movie magic - why that location? There's no way he could be sure he'd come out of there. Secondly, his was the only character I am actually interested in this season.

I was a little sad at the last scene but then got over it.

The last few weeks have been better...but that is basically saying that a cold pile of dog s*** is better than a steaming pile.

If it embraced being a bit campy I would probably like it better; but I think it actually thinks it's a great serious crime drama.

I just started watching Rectify. I finished episode 4 last night. It's great. I'm really glad I finally got around to it.

That was probably the best episode so far. But when I can't buy into one or more of the main characters, it's a fail for me. The HBO series I'm used to, make almost every episode great. They have to raise the bar next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom