Tuesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE while he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan. War Damn Orangeyes!

Hop Watch Day 4

Mike Hopkins Remains a Candidate for BC HC Job But Other Names Emerge (PS; Waters)

At that point, Hopkins may have seemed like the leading candidate for the BC post, if only because Boston College officials are being so secretive during the search for a replacement for former Eagles coach Steve Donahue.

However, a few other candidates have emerged with new legitimacy.

St. Bonaventure coach Mark Schmidt was believed to have interviewed at Boston College last week; however, according to Mark Blaudschun of www.ajerseyguy.com,Schmidt talked with the search firm working on behalf of BC last week. Schmidt could be going in for an on-campus interview this week. Schmidt played at Boston College.

In addition, Ohio University coach Jim Christian is another new candidate, a source told syracuse.com. Christian's involvement was also reported by SI.com. Christian was previously the head coach at Texas Christian and Kent State.

SI's Jack McCallum on Role of SU Assistant Coaches (Including Mike Hopkins) (PS; Carlson)

"I was very surprised at how, I think I've said this before, at how (Boeheim) functions in the CEO role as a head coach. If you watch practice he has three coaches that played for him, and are all exuberant guys, very energetic. Mike Hopkins, Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara are all down on the floor with the players and there's a 'these are my guys' mentality.

"Jim, to a certain extent, looks sometimes like an absentee coach. All the skill work, all the coaching in practice is done by these three guys. When it comes time for game-day prep, and in the locker room and the bench, (Boeheim) absolutely coaches the team. No one else says anything. It's completely his team. It's been fascinating to watch how it works, be in their pre-game meetings.

"Gerry was scouting Dayton. He'd looked at them all night. Jim watches the film and no one says much. Jim's mind is whirring and every once in a while he'll ask a question. You can legitimately see the game plan formulating in his head. At this moment it's Jim's team. This is how he wants it to run. This is how he's found it's worked most successful and he has three assistant coaches that can carry out his vision. These are guys that played for him, they know what he's thinking, what he wants. They know exactly the score. The team functions smoothly.

The Players

-3756f9344085a398.JPG

CJ Fair Named 3rd Team AP AA (PS; Axe)

Below is a complete listing of the AP All-American teams.

AP First-team All-Americans:
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Jabari Parker, Duke
Russ Smith, Louisville
Shabazz Napier, UConn
Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati

AP Second-team All-America:
Nick Johnson, Arizona
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Nik Stauskas, Michigan
Melvin Ejim, Iowa State
T.J. Warren, N.C. State

AP Third-team All-America:
Cleanthony Early, Wichita State
Kyle Anderson, UCLA
Julius Randle, Kentucky
CJ Fair, Syracuse
Scottie Wilbekin, Florida

14602080-mmmain.jpg

SI's McCallum "(TE) Physically Doesn't Look Ready to Go to Me" (PS: Carlson)
"I'm watching Kentucky vs. Louisville and Michigan State vs. Virginia the last two nights," McCallum said on Saturday morning. "These are two very physical games. Physically, I'm just not sure Tyler is ready. He's a splendid point guard, very mature. But physically he doesn't look ready to go to me."

14598712-large.jpg

Status Report for Ron Patterson (PS; Waters)

If Patterson wants to earn playing time at the point, he must improve his ball-handling. He needs to control his energy on the court and play with more poise — like Ennis.

Even with Ennis announcing his decision to enter the NBA draft, it's far more likely that Patterson will see the court at the two-guard position. Gbinije and incoming freshman Kaleb Joseph are the top two candidates to inherit Ennis' spot at the point.

So Patterson needs to find a way onto the court as the off-guard. He's got the athleticism for the job. He's very strong and quick to the basket. But he must work on his outside shot. He can hit threes in flurries, but he needs a more consistent and reliable jumper. That's what he really needs to work on in the offseason.

14601502-mmmain.jpg

Status Report for BJ Johnson (PS; Waters)

Let's put aside Johnson's awful shooting numbers. Yes, he was 6-for-24 from the field and 2-for-16 from 3-point range, but it's hard to make shots when you're getting inconsistent garbage-time minutes.

Johnson will obviously get plenty of time to put up practice shots this summer.
What Johnson really needs to focus on his is body. He is listed at just 185 pounds. At 6-feet, 7-inches. To put that in perspective, SU point guard Tyler Ennis, who stands 6-foot-2 and is not entering any body-building competitions just yet, weighs 180 pounds. Roberson, a 6-8 freshman, out-weighs Johnson by 27 pounds.

Johnson has got to add weight and strength to his frame or he'll just get pushed around on the court.

14602736-mmmain.jpg

Status Report for Chinoso Obokoh (PS; Waters)

Obokoh has a reputation of being a good rebounder. He pulled down an average of 15.6 rebounds per game as a senior at Bishop Kearney.

But as with most young big men, Obokoh needs to get stronger. He needs to pack some pounds onto his body. He won't be able to battle on the boards at 215 pounds.

Beyond that, Obokoh needs to play. He needs game experience. Unfortunately, big men rarely see the ball in most summer league games. Still, Obokoh should sign up for action in leagues such as the King of Kings in Utica or any summer travel team.

Former Players

Carmelo Scores 34 to Keep Knicks in Playoff Hunt (PS)

Carmelo Anthony scored 34 points on 11-of-19 shooting, and the New York Knicks pulled away for a 92-83 victory over the Utah Jazz on Monday night that kept them one game back of the final Eastern Conference playoff berth.

MCW had 16 points, 9 assists, 9 rebonds and 3 steals in a 103-95 loss to Atlanta.

Other

From McCoy Stadium to the Carrier Dome, a Father-Daughter Journey (Special to syracuse.com; Walsh)

When Julie was looking at colleges, good teams and great school spirit were among her must-haves. I was thrilled when she was accepted at Syracuse University. Yes, it was exciting that she got into the Newhouse School of Public Communications. But my mind went right to the Carrier Dome - now we could go see Syracuse basketball!
I bought two tickets to the North Carolina State game, slated for Feb. 15. As I drove up the Massachusetts Turnpike on the morning of the game, Julie called to let me know that the start time had been moved from 3 to 7 p.m. - North Carolina State had travel issues because of a snowstorm.

At the Syracuse Sheraton check-in counter, I mentioned the game time change to the receptionist and she pounced. "I hope it messes those kids up," she said, referring to members of the North Carolina State team. "They didn't get here until a few minutes ago. I'll take any advantage we can get." Her face softened as she handed me my room key: "Enjoy your stay!"

The receptionist's gamesmanship didn't surprise me. This was Syracuse, after all. While Julie and I were having lunch, I saw a guy in a shirt that read REAL MEN WEAR ORANGE. It could have also included REAL WOMEN, REAL BOYS, REAL GIRLS, and REAL PETS, for that matter. EVERYONE was rocking Syracuse orange that day, of course - everyone except me. I was wearing a Berklee College of Music pullover. Technical foul.

Last edited:
I am temporarily filling in for OE while he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan. War Damn Orangeyes!

Hop Watch Day 4

Mike Hopkins Remains a Candidate for BC HC Job But Other Names Emerge (PS; Waters)
At that point, Hopkins may have seemed like the leading candidate for the BC post, if only because Boston College officials are being so secretive during the search for a replacement for former Eagles coach Steve Donahue.

However, a few other candidates have emerged with new legitimacy.

St. Bonaventure coach Mark Schmidt was believed to have interviewed at Boston College last week; however, according to Mark Blaudschun of www.ajerseyguy.com,Schmidt talked with the search firm working on behalf of BC last week. Schmidt could be going in for an on-campus interview this week. Schmidt played at Boston College.

In addition, Ohio University coach Jim Christian is another new candidate, a source told syracuse.com. Christian's involvement was also reported by SI.com. Christian was previously the head coach at Texas Christian and Kent State.

SI's Jack McCallum on Role of SU Assistant Coaches (Including Mike Hopkins) (PS; Carlson)

"I was very surprised at how, I think I've said this before, at how (Boeheim) functions in the CEO role as a head coach. If you watch practice he has three coaches that played for him, and are all exuberant guys, very energetic. Mike Hopkins, Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara are all down on the floor with the players and there's a 'these are my guys' mentality.

"Jim, to a certain extent, looks sometimes like an absentee coach. All the skill work, all the coaching in practice is done by these three guys. When it comes time for game-day prep, and in the locker room and the bench, (Boeheim) absolutely coaches the team. No one else says anything. It's completely his team. It's been fascinating to watch how it works, be in their pre-game meetings.

"Gerry was scouting Dayton. He'd looked at them all night. Jim watches the film and no one says much. Jim's mind is whirring and every once in a while he'll ask a question. You can legitimately see the game plan formulating in his head. At this moment it's Jim's team. This is how he wants it to run. This is how he's found it's worked most successful and he has three assistant coaches that can carry out his vision. These are guys that played for him, they know what he's thinking, what he wants. They know exactly the score. The team functions smoothly.

The Players
-3756f9344085a398.JPG

CJ Fair Named 3rd Team AP AA (PS; Axe)

Below is a complete listing of the AP All-American teams.

AP First-team All-Americans:
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Jabari Parker, Duke
Russ Smith, Louisville
Shabazz Napier, UConn
Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati

AP Second-team All-America:
Nick Johnson, Arizona
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Nik Stauskas, Michigan
Melvin Ejim, Iowa State
T.J. Warren, N.C. State

AP Third-team All-America:
Cleanthony Early, Wichita State
Kyle Anderson, UCLA
Julius Randle, Kentucky
CJ Fair, Syracuse
Scottie Wilbekin, Florida

14602080-mmmain.jpg

SI's McCallum "(TE) Physically Doesn't Look Ready to Go to Me" (PS: Carlson)
"I'm watching Kentucky vs. Louisville and Michigan State vs. Virginia the last two nights," McCallum said on Saturday morning. "These are two very physical games. Physically, I'm just not sure Tyler is ready. He's a splendid point guard, very mature. But physically he doesn't look ready to go to me."

14598712-large.jpg

Status Report for Ron Patterson (PS; Waters)

If Patterson wants to earn playing time at the point, he must improve his ball-handling. He needs to control his energy on the court and play with more poise — like Ennis.

Even with Ennis announcing his decision to enter the NBA draft, it's far more likely that Patterson will see the court at the two-guard position. Gbinije and incoming freshman Kaleb Joseph are the top two candidates to inherit Ennis' spot at the point.

So Patterson needs to find a way onto the court as the off-guard. He's got the athleticism for the job. He's very strong and quick to the basket. But he must work on his outside shot. He can hit threes in flurries, but he needs a more consistent and reliable jumper. That's what he really needs to work on in the offseason.

14601502-mmmain.jpg

Status Report for BJ Johnson (PS; Waters)

Let's put aside Johnson's awful shooting numbers. Yes, he was 6-for-24 from the field and 2-for-16 from 3-point range, but it's hard to make shots when you're getting inconsistent garbage-time minutes.

Johnson will obviously get plenty of time to put up practice shots this summer.
What Johnson really needs to focus on his is body. He is listed at just 185 pounds. At 6-feet, 7-inches. To put that in perspective, SU point guard Tyler Ennis, who stands 6-foot-2 and is not entering any body-building competitions just yet, weighs 180 pounds. Roberson, a 6-8 freshman, out-weighs Johnson by 27 pounds.

Johnson has got to add weight and strength to his frame or he'll just get pushed around on the court.

14602736-mmmain.jpg

Status Report for Chinoso Obokoh (PS; Waters)

Obokoh has a reputation of being a good rebounder. He pulled down an average of 15.6 rebounds per game as a senior at Bishop Kearney.

But as with most young big men, Obokoh needs to get stronger. He needs to pack some pounds onto his body. He won't be able to battle on the boards at 215 pounds.

Beyond that, Obokoh needs to play. He needs game experience. Unfortunately, big men rarely see the ball in most summer league games. Still, Obokoh should sign up for action in leagues such as the King of Kings in Utica or any summer travel team.

Former Players
Carmelo Scores 34 to Keep Knicks in Playoff Hunt (PS)

Carmelo Anthony scored 34 points on 11-of-19 shooting, and the New York Knicks pulled away for a 92-83 victory over the Utah Jazz on Monday night that kept them one game back of the final Eastern Conference playoff berth.

MCW had 16 points, 9 assists, 9 rebonds and 3 steals in a 103-95 loss to Atlanta.

Other

From McCoy Stadium to the Carrier Dome, a Father-Daughter Journey (Special to syracuse.com; Walsh)
When Julie was looking at colleges, good teams and great school spirit were among her must-haves. I was thrilled when she was accepted at Syracuse University. Yes, it was exciting that she got into the Newhouse School of Public Communications. But my mind went right to the Carrier Dome - now we could go see Syracuse basketball!
I bought two tickets to the North Carolina State game, slated for Feb. 15. As I drove up the Massachusetts Turnpike on the morning of the game, Julie called to let me know that the start time had been moved from 3 to 7 p.m. - North Carolina State had travel issues because of a snowstorm.

At the Syracuse Sheraton check-in counter, I mentioned the game time change to the receptionist and she pounced. "I hope it messes those kids up," she said, referring to members of the North Carolina State team. "They didn't get here until a few minutes ago. I'll take any advantage we can get." Her face softened as she handed me my room key: "Enjoy your stay!"

The receptionist's gamesmanship didn't surprise me. This was Syracuse, after all. While Julie and I were having lunch, I saw a guy in a shirt that read REAL MEN WEAR ORANGE. It could have also included REAL WOMEN, REAL BOYS, REAL GIRLS, and REAL PETS, for that matter. EVERYONE was rocking Syracuse orange that day, of course - everyone except me. I was wearing a Berklee College of Music pullover. Technical foul.
Thanks for doing this Tom. Hope that Dan is on the mend

Thanks for doing this Tom. Hope that Dan is on the mend

I don't want to invade Dan's privacy but I know people are concerned. So I will say this: he is mending very well and is in very good spirits. He has that old school toughness we would all like to see from SU players in the paint.

I don't want to invade Dan's privacy but I know people are concerned. So I will say this: he is mending very well and is in very good spirits. He has that old school toughness we would all like to see from SU players in the paint.
Why drag yor point down by even nentioming SU football?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom