Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bell needs to get better defensively. He doesn't need blocks or steals, he needs to play better on ball and help defense. Forget the stats that look cool. Just focus on doing your job on D.

He's 6'7" and can hit over 40% from three, there is a spot for him.

To be fair to him, once we have a better roster as a whole and a better passing team overall, I think he'll naturally be more engaged in rebounding and defense.

You can see teams commit to defense and push each other when they buy in. I don't think we had that this year.

Ehhh I think his defense will still hold him back from a more significant role, and ideally he is back down at least to that twenty minute per game, barring improvement there which is always possible. If the D looks like it did last year then he cannot be seeing 27mpg again if we want to improve. He belongs on this team and gets way more crap than he deserves, but we need others contributing to the 3 spot barring a total turnaround from him on defense.
Don't presuppose that Bell can't get better.

Bell did rebound better this season, especially towards the end. Starting February 7 against Louisville through the end of the year, he averaged 3.6 rebounds... Somewhat anemic for a forward, yes. But it doubled his 1.8 average till that point.

Bell wasn't the entire problem with rebounding, but he certainly didn't help. Taylor and Brown both undersized and playing out of position hurt our rebounding more than Bell being bad at rebounding.

Add in an actual center, put Brown or Freeman next to Bell for most of Bell's minutes, and he'll be fine.

The bigger problem is that Bell is a matador on defense. Teams were definitely hunting him and being rewarded. He needs to work on strength and lateral mobility. He's got good vertical, but I suspect he'd be very slow on the cones.

Get stronger, move a little better. Bell needs just incremental improvement in rebounding and defense to become quite good. 42% shooters from 3 who also can average a block a game in the ACC don't grow on trees.

Don't presuppose that Bell can't get better.

Bell did rebound better this season, especially towards the end. Starting February 7 against Louisville through the end of the year, he averaged 3.6 rebounds... Somewhat anemic for a forward, yes. But it doubled his 1.8 average till that point.

Bell wasn't the entire problem with rebounding, but he certainly didn't help. Taylor and Brown both undersized and playing out of position hurt our rebounding more than Bell being bad at rebounding.

Add in an actual center, put Brown or Freeman next to Bell for most of Bell's minutes, and he'll be fine.

The bigger problem is that Bell is a matador on defense. Teams were definitely hunting him and being rewarded. He needs to work on strength and lateral mobility. He's got good vertical, but I suspect he'd be very slow on the cones.

Get stronger, move a little better. Bell needs just incremental improvement in rebounding and defense to become quite good. 42% shooters from 3 who also can average a block a game in the ACC don't grow on trees.
He averaged more because he played more minutes.

Red and Co. have to go after better players. If they are better than the one we currently have, isn't that a good thing. If somebody has to come off the bench, and that makes that player leave, who cares, didn't we just upgrade? All I want Red to do is increase the talent on this roster. The rest will work itself out. I am not going to try to think about starting lineups until roster building is complete.
Bingo.

if these 2 guys are jumping ship it's certainly not for lack of PT. both avg'd over 20 mpg. hopefully there are some other talented players out there who see the game minutes we just freed up , see that red actually uses his bench . and who actually want to come to the dome and play a big role here . hey if you ain't happy adios . we'll find some players who really want to wear the orange.
I really want to wear orange. I'm in pretty good shape for 55, although my vertical is now shite, my handle ain't what it used to be (I'm still good at between the legs and spin move - both hands- I am about 50% successful at btb, and my shooting elbow has stiffened a bit and tends to flare to the side at times. I'm a good defender when I'm not tired, but I have a really high basketball IQ and I'm a really good passer and can run a fast break to a T. Oh yeah, here's a couple of big pluses - I don't fall down every time I shoot and I know when to risk a steal and when not to.

Did I say I want to wear orange?

I'm even a little more bullish than that. If his rebounding can get to just even a little below average, which isn't a crazy improvement to think is possible, you're looking at a guy contending for the all-conference teams.
I think the potential is there.

Real talk - if Brown gets stronger and develops a reliable jump hook he's potentially an All-ACC center.

Real talk - he is not a center.

He has no back-to-the-basket game or footwork for it and he's not big enough...

See the owning by PJ Hall for context...

He can be effective against players of similar size... But the marquee bigs with skills... He can't handle them. He's not built to handle them.

He's a forward pigeon-holed into to playing center because we needed him to.

He is not a center.

He has no back-to-the-basket game or footwork for it and he's not big enough...

See the owning by PJ Hall for context...

He can be effective against players of similar size... But the marquee bigs with skills... He can't handle them. He's not built to handle them.

He's a forward pigeon-holed into to playing center because we needed him to.
I disagree.

Give him a little bit more traditional center skill and strength and he's a match up nightmare.

Bell just turned 21 years old. We all agree Bell needs to drastically improve his defense and rebounding to become a worthy starter on a good team. I'm sure he has been told to improve these things his whole life but he still hasn't done it.

We have seen flashes of good defense, rebounding and incredible blocks so we know he is capable of doing it. Bell needs constant effort. That is what is holding him back.

I'm sure it's exhausting for Red & the coaches to feel like they constantly need to light a match under Bell's butt to get him to play hard.

I want Bell back but we can't place next season's success on Bell's effort level improving. Several posters say Westry provides the insurance if Bell doesn't click but that means relying on a guy coming off injury that hasn't played in 2 years. I'm worried but trust Red.
As the saying goes..."You can't coach desire"

I disagree.

Give him a little bit more traditional center skill and strength and he's a match up nightmare.

If he showed any glimpses of back-to-the-basket footwork with dribbling, muscling his opponent down, and finishing, I'd agree, get him in the weight room and guzzling the protein shakes...

But I don't see it.

I think he can be an excellent Forward for us... but elite P5 center?? Not a chance.

the things I want added for next year:

1- A leader
2- A rebounder
3- A distributor
4- A rim protector
So last year's Jesse for items #2 and #4. Me too! Hopefully a PG from the portal can cover #1 and #3.

This isn't a good enough lineup.

PG - Portal
SG - JJ Starling
SF - Freeman
PF - Brown
C - Portal
I find it funny to claim that a lineup isn't good enough when there are two spots that appear to be open and we don't know who will fill them.

Look around at ACC centers coming back next year. He’ll be the veteran

If we run it back with a forward starting at center and a combo guard playing point guard, we will have learned nothing.

Part of the culture change we need is to get a quality C and PG fit for purpose in a P5 league.

This madness of shoehorning forwards to play center (because our beanpole center projects don't pan out) and shoehorning combo guards to play point has to end if we intend to compete for championships again.

Jesse left and we replaced him with a backup (McLeod) who got hurt, but we simply need better.

Last edited:
If we run it back with a forward starting at center and a combo guard playing point guard, we will have learned nothing.

Part of the culture change we need is to get a C and PG fit for purpose in a P5 league.

This madness of shoehorning forwards to play center (because our beanpole center projects don't pan out) and shoehorning combo guards to play point has to end if we intend to compete for championships again.
We absolutely need a legitimate PG and C. I’d add we need guys that are committed to playing tough defense and rebounding as well. We simply cannot get destroyed on the glass game in and game out and expect to beat good teams consistently.

From the portal we need like a 6'9 245lb dude off the bench(I'd say starter but most think Maliq is starting at C) for rebounding and rim protection. A PG who's a leader and can hit a three and a F who can hit a three and defend.

Maybe getting the paperwork ready and everything lined up for entering for the NBA draft.

... not sure how NIL is paid out, but could be waiting on one more check to clear before dropping the paperwork??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom