Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last year's Jesse for items #2 and #4. Me too! Hopefully a PG from the portal can cover #1 and #3.

I find it funny to claim that a lineup isn't good enough when there are two spots that appear to be open and we don't know who will fill them.
The lineup I propose is the lineup I want. I was speaking of the lineup I quoted.

the things I want added for next year:

1- A leader
2- A rebounder
3- A distributor
4- A rim protector
Well said. Maybe in that order too.

To me, it looked like Bell was consistently targeted by ACC teams. Teams would isolate his man and take him off the dribble. That seemed to be more of an issue, IMO, than getting pushed around by bigger players. Taylor was that target.

For Bell "not to have any defensive problems next season" he is going to have to get WAY better at moving his feet and staying in front of people. Not saying he can't.

Agreed. I see the issue as less about him getting pushed around by other team's Power Forwards [because Taylor generally tried to guard other team's 4s], and more about his inability to stay in front of his man.

Like many zone defenders we've seen in the past, he proved capable of making weak-side help defensive plays, making some impressive blocks, etc. And I think a lot of fans confuse those spectacular plays with equating to "good defensive potential."

But hitching up his shorts and guarding his man? Miami exploited him like three times in a row at the end of the game. He's a turnstyle.

Last edited:
Agreed. I see the issue as less about him getting pushed around by other team's Power Forwards [because Taylor generally tried to guard other team's 4s], and more about his inability to stay in front of his man.

Like many zone defenders we've seen in the past, he proved capable of making weak-side help defensive plays, making some impressive blocks, etc.

But hitching up his shorts and guarding his man? Miami exploited him like three times in a row at the end of the game. He's a turnstyle.
Tbh I thinks it’s a combo of both

The lineup I propose is the lineup I want. I was speaking of the lineup I quoted.
Yes, with two positions that you have listed as portal yet you're claiming that the lineup may not be good enough. If those positions are portal, then they are unknowns. Therefore, how in the world do you think they're not good enough?

Like many zone defenders we've seen in the past, he proved capable of making weak-side help defensive plays, making some impressive blocks, etc.

1000%. Good coaches who aren't married to an iso-devoid system could get the matchup they wanted and attack him. I remember screaming to get him off the court during the Miami game. Not sure I watched another game this season where a dude was so single-handedly responsible for easy buckets this season.

I am much happier about him coming back than I thought I would be but he just has to be better on defense next season. What makes me nervous is that I am not sure if it is something that can be coached up or if it is mostly a want-to thing. I lean towards the latter and it is hard for guys to fundamentally change who they are as a basketball player at the point Chris is in his career. But I am sure he wants to play in the NBA and he is only sniffing that, even with his shooting, if he can contribute on the defensive end. So maybe (hopefully) that motivates him a bit if he already knows he has a starting job next season.

Attachments

• 1467bd.jpg
    1467bd.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 13
Judah Mintz’s improvement this season was incredible? In what way, shape, or form?
Looks like he stayed about the same with a slightly worse assist to turnover ratio. His complaining was markedly steeped up though.

That might be good enough to help us in the ACC, but I hate the idea of asking a player to go against his long term interests. Brown has the potential to have an NBA career at the 4 if he works on his perimeter skills (passing, shooting, defense). I think he should work more on high post moves to help our offense flow better.
Who's to say he can't also work on that?

Yes, with two positions that you have listed as portal yet you're claiming that the lineup may not be good enough. If those positions are portal, then they are unknowns. Therefore, how in the world do you think they're not good enough?
What are you talking about?

This is the lineup I said wasn't good enough:

PG/Westry
JJ/Cuffe/Moore
Bell/Westry/Portal Wing
Freeman/Brown
Brown/Portal Center/Freeman/Patterson

This proposed lineup has 1 starter from the portal unknown. And us keeping Brown as center with Freeman and Bell as forwards. I do not believe that's good enough to compete. We were the worst rebounding team by margin in the ACC last year. We need to get better in that area. I don't think this lineup does that at all.

Looks like he stayed about the same with a slightly worse assist to turnover ratio. His complaining was markedly steeped up though.

But his stats are...good?...right? These are good stats. He did roughly the same as last year and maybe even regressed in a couple areas, but these are good stats. Like top of the ACC in multiple categories good. Selfish complainer blah blah blah I know, but it will require a huge bag to find someone in the portal who is even remotely close to Judah statistically in a competitive conference.

This is a really good post. I just want to add some context to his D.

From my perspective Bell improved a lot defensively from Freshman to Sophomore year.

Because we had to play the year mostly without a real power forward, Bell guarded power forwards a lot, and he's not built to do that. When he was guarding smaller guys he did a pretty okay job.

I found it interesting that when Brown played center and got pushed around, most fans noticed he was out of position and wanted to get a center on the team to help, but when Bell was playing power forward and got pushed around, nobody complained about him being out of position, they just complained about him being a terrible defender.

I think Bell will be stronger next year and a better defender, but I also think having Freeman and Brown at power forward, allowing Bell to guard wings as he should be doing will make a big difference. I predict there won't be any defensive problems with Bell next year.
THat is why I think Bell should start at the 3 (splitting time with Freeman) and also get some minutes at the 2 behind JJ. Yes he has trouble keeping quicker players in front of him. However, he's an even bigger defensive liability on the front line (can't rebound or stop bigger players). Why not deploy his shooting and defensive abilities where they best fit? Freeman can backup both forward positions, and we need Bell on the floor.

PG - Portal (leader, distributor)/Westry
SG - JJ/Bell
SF - Bell/Freeman
PF - Brown/Freeman
C - Portal (rebounder and rim protector), Naheem, Patterson (Brown situationally)

Last edited:

Like many zone defenders we've seen in the past, he proved capable of making weak-side help defensive plays, making some impressive blocks, etc. And I think a lot of fans confuse those spectacular plays with equating to "good defensive potential."

Yeah, it's such a glaring weakness. He seems to have enough lateral quickness and athleticism to at least be adequate at keeping guys in front of him. I'm sure he is well aware of what he needs to work on. Getting there from a technique, focus, and effort standpoint is easier said than done for some players.

I really want to wear orange. I'm in pretty good shape for 55, although my vertical is now shite, my handle ain't what it used to be (I'm still good at between the legs and spin move - both hands- I am about 50% successful at btb, and my shooting elbow has stiffened a bit and tends to flare to the side at times. I'm a good defender when I'm not tired, but I have a really high basketball IQ and I'm a really good passer and can run a fast break to a T. Oh yeah, here's a couple of big pluses - I don't fall down every time I shoot and I know when to risk a steal and when not to.

Did I say I want to wear orange?
Is your name in the portal? If not get it in there!

Agreed
So we're basically taking last year's team and replacing JT with Donnie (major upgrade, but he's a freshman so it's a bit unsure) and replacing Judah and Quadir with some unknown portal PG who we're hoping is going to be better? And any other pickups are bench depth players ok with not starting? Not going to lie, I'll be a bit disappointed. I wanted to see 2 studs from the portal but it seems like we're limited to aiming for a stud pg and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom