Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed
It’s hard to imagine a situation where Bell, Brown, Freeman are all here and we still go after a stud big. If those 3 are here next year all 3 are starting and none of them can play guard sooooo
I would assume and hope that Red is focused on creating quality depth. I hope Red is telling these guys that there will be more talent on the roster and everyone will play less minutes and be refreshed and be able to play uptempo. If we want to play fast, we need depth. We don’t necessarily need a stud like Hunter Dickinson or Jesse, but we need a guy with high level potential. If a big bodied portal center plays 20-25mpg, Maliq can still get 15 mpg at center and 15 at PF. Freeman then plays 25mpg at PF and maybe 5 at SF.

So we're basically taking last year's team and replacing JT with Donnie (major upgrade, but he's a freshman so it's a bit unsure) and replacing Judah and Quadir with some unknown portal PG who we're hoping is going to be better? And any other pickups are bench depth players ok with not starting? Not going to lie, I'll be a bit disappointed. I wanted to see 2 studs from the portal but it seems like we're limited to aiming for a stud pg and that's it.
Yeah - this is what I don't understand.

Our interior defense and offense was severely lacking.

Freeman helps, but a 6-9 forward that isn't a bruiser of any sort, doesn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies in terms of being a huge help in the post.

They must really like McLeod. I can't say I'm supportive of this. At all.

Judah Mintz’s improvement this season was incredible? In what way, shape, or form?
It was not credible… as not believable.

I think we can sell a center on the concept that it’s not who starts, but who finishes. Brown and Freeman might start, but I can a scenario where a freshman struggles and Brown and a true 5 finish games.

beef GIF

But his stats are...good?...right? These are good stats. He did roughly the same as last year and maybe even regressed in a couple areas, but these are good stats. Like top of the ACC in multiple categories good. Selfish complainer blah blah blah I know, but it will require a huge bag to find someone in the portal who is even remotely close to Judah statistically in a competitive conference.

His stats are ok in some areas but not great. 3 pt shooting not so much. I think we can do better and play better as a team with someone who is willing to share the ball. A lot of his assists come when he is cut off and has to pass.
I'll gladly pass on year 3. The NBA process told him where he needs to improve, he didn't change anything.

So we're basically taking last year's team and replacing JT with Donnie (major upgrade, but he's a freshman so it's a bit unsure) and replacing Judah and Quadir with some unknown portal PG who we're hoping is going to be better? And any other pickups are bench depth players ok with not starting? Not going to lie, I'll be a bit disappointed. I wanted to see 2 studs from the portal but it seems like we're limited to aiming for a stud pg and that's it.
To add we Gave up 40avg rebounds a game this season, worst in the ACC and our response is Playing Maliq and Freeman with Naheem/Patterson being the backups... Freeman avg 8 reb this year, Maliq 7.8, Naheem whos is 7'4 has 4 and Patterson ?. We need a rebounder or two.

So… I think I’m missing something. Why can’t we have a stud C come? Let me break down what I’m thinking.

PF: Brown (20 mins) / Freeman (20 mins)
SF: Bell (25 mins) / Freeman (15 mins)
C: Portal (30 mins) / Brown (10 mins)

Seems like a rotation that would be fair and practical to me, but what do I know I guess.

What are you talking about?

This is the lineup I said wasn't good enough:

PG/Westry
JJ/Cuffe/Moore
Bell/Westry/Portal Wing
Freeman/Brown
Brown/Portal Center/Freeman/Patterson

This proposed lineup has 1 starter from the portal unknown. And us keeping Brown as center with Freeman and Bell as forwards. I do not believe that's good enough to compete. We were the worst rebounding team by margin in the ACC last year. We need to get better in that area. I don't think this lineup does that at all.
Okay, I see what you're saying now. When I first read your post, I saw that the lineup wasn't good enough and saw what you posted below. However, you were referring to the lineup posted above. I'm with you.

Still hard to say though when we don't know who we will get from the portal. However, I do share your concerns, certainly. I REALLY don't like the idea of Brown playing a ton of minutes at Center again.

What are you talking about?

This is the lineup I said wasn't good enough:

PG/Westry
JJ/Cuffe/Moore
Bell/Westry/Portal Wing
Freeman/Brown
Brown/Portal Center/Freeman/Patterson

This proposed lineup has 1 starter from the portal unknown. And us keeping Brown as center with Freeman and Bell as forwards. I do not believe that's good enough to compete. We were the worst rebounding team by margin in the ACC last year. We need to get better in that area. I don't think this lineup does that at all.
I don’t think you can quantify how different it will be not having Taylor or Q at the 4. And then having someone else besides Bell if we need to go bigger at the 3 either with a portal 3 or Westry.

Also if you can tell me who all the scary rebounders are in the ACC next year I’m all ears. When I look at the accs top rebounders their 5th years are all up.

It will be up to Bell whether he starts or comes off the bench.
I disagree. I like bell in real time and upside, so this not knock on him, but JJ seems like a great teammate, great competitor, and really intent on getting better. Plus a pull up
Mid range game is nice to have. If it's true we need to improve culture keeping him seems like table stakes.

I don’t think you can quantify how different it will be not having Taylor or Q at the 4. And then having someone else besides Bell if we need to go bigger at the 3 either with a portal 3 or Westry.

Also if you can tell me who all the scary rebounders are in the ACC next year I’m all ears. When I look at the accs top rebounders their 5th years are all up.
We were the worst rebounding team in the ACC.

We need a lot of help down low. Freeman vs. Taylor is certainly an upgrade in terms of overall basketball ability and should be a better rebounder, but I don’t think that’s enough of an improvement overall in that area. Taylor was actually a decent rebounder for his size.

Never knew there were phans on this board lool

Still a fan but it seems like a whole life ago . . . . . . hmmm . . . . Last show I attended would have been MSG 98 new years. Or was it 97 same year as the Great Went whichever that was.

Mintz would be foolish to test the NBA waters again unless he is set on going G league. He can’t shoot, doesn’t get his teammates going and is lazy on defense. In time he may develop into a great player. He can draw fouls with the best of them. But absolutely nothing in his game currently transitions to the NBA.

Not sure if it’s true. But someone said you can only declare for the draft 2 times. Or maybe it was withdraw 2 times. Hypothetically he enters this year drops out. Then the following year he enters and gets injured. At that point he would have to stay in the draft. IMO it’s always better to have that last chance to exit the draft if something really bad happens. You really never know. He gives that ability away if he tests the waters again this year when he is clearly not ready. I would think it is pretty obvious to most coaches what he needs to work on. Now he just has to buy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom