UCL Thread 2012-2013 | Syracusefan.com

UCL Thread 2012-2013

CuseCPT

All Conference
What a great day for Chelsea and Celtic supporters. DiMatteo gets results when it matters. Hope he is around for a long time.

Celtic game looked exciting, Forster had some monster saves. Bayern rolled today, wow 6 goals.

Bayern had 5 before I even got a chance to check my phone on a break at work. It's CL title or bust this year for die Roten.

I keep watching that Oscar goal in .gif form.

None of the matches so far in this years Champions League have disappointed.

I keep watching that Oscar goal in .gif form.

None of the matches so far in this years Champions League have disappointed.
Don't tease me like that, link please.

Don't tease me like that, link please.

1352320134084.gif

What a great day for Chelsea and Celtic supporters. DiMatteo gets results when it matters. Hope he is around for a long time.

Celtic game looked exciting, Forster had some monster saves. Bayern rolled today, wow 6 goals.

Forster was huge in the away leg at Barca also. Huge steal of Newcastle's 3rd choice keeper.

If you are a top 4 supporter, I suggest catching a replay. Victor Wanyama was a boss at CDM and won't be at Celtic much longer with performances like in the CL. Imo, he has the potential to be as complete a player as Yaya Toure. Manchester United, Chelsea, etc. are already sniffing around.

Forster was huge in the away leg at Barca also. Huge steal of Newcastle's 3rd choice keeper.

If you are a top 4 supporter, I suggest catching a replay. Victor Wanyama was a boss at CDM and won't be at Celtic much longer with performances like in the CL. Imo, he has the potential to be as complete a player as Yaya Toure. Manchester United, Chelsea, etc. are already sniffing around.

Congrats on a HUUUUUGE win.

celt-fans_2393033b.jpg

britain-soccer-champions-league-44-390x285.jpg

Teams that are moving on to the KO Round (group winners listed first):
Group A: PSG, FC Porto
Group B: Schalke, Arsenal
Group C: Malaga, FC Milan
Group D: Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid
Group E: Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk
Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia
Group G: Barca, Celtic
Group H: Manchester United, Galatasaray

I thought Dortmund would escape the group of death, but I'm shocked they took 14 points from it and won it. The fact that the Bundesliga is not mentioned in the discussion for best league in the world is crazy, as all 3 teams from the league won their groups.

Congrats to Celtic for advancing. Also, I'm so sad to see City and Chelsea gone...wait...no I'm not.

Round of 16 draw:

First Leg - 2/12/2013 (Second - 3/6/2013)
Celtic FC v Juventus
Valencia CF v Paris Saint-Germain FC

First Leg - 2/13/2013 (Second - 3/5/2013)
FC Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid CF v Manchester United FC

First Leg - 2/19/2013 (Second - 3/13/2013)
FC Porto v Málaga CF
Arsenal FC v FC Bayern München

First Leg - 2/20/2013 (Second - 3/12/2013)
AC Milan v FC Barcelona
Galatasaray AŞ v FC Schalke 04

Teams that are moving on to the KO Round (group winners listed first):
Group A: PSG, FC Porto
Group B: Schalke, Arsenal
Group C: Malaga, FC Milan
Group D: Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid
Group E: Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk
Group F: Bayern Munich, Valencia
Group G: Barca, Celtic
Group H: Manchester United, Galatasaray

I thought Dortmund would escape the group of death, but I'm shocked they took 14 points from it and won it. The fact that the Bundesliga is not mentioned in the discussion for best league in the world is crazy, as all 3 teams from the league won their groups.

Congrats to Celtic for advancing. Also, I'm so sad to see City and Chelsea gone...wait...no I'm not.

Bundesliga is my favorite league to watch top to bottom. I love the EPL, Liverpool, and the bigger clubs but watching Stoke v Wigan does nothing for me. I could turn on any German game and be content to watch.

Round of 16 draw:

First Leg - 2/12/2013 (Second - 3/6/2013)
Celtic FC v Juventus
Valencia CF v Paris Saint-Germain FC

First Leg - 2/13/2013 (Second - 3/5/2013)
FC Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid CF v Manchester United FC

First Leg - 2/19/2013 (Second - 3/13/2013)
FC Porto v Málaga CF
Arsenal FC v FC Bayern München

First Leg - 2/20/2013 (Second - 3/12/2013)
AC Milan v FC Barcelona
Galatasaray AŞ v FC Schalke 04

Lot of great matches there. Group 2 looks like group of death. Shakhtar v Borussia should be great, Real vs United same

The Quarterfinal draw has officially been set today, and the match-ups are below:

Malaga CF - Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid CF - Galatasaray AS
PSG - FC Barcelona
FC Bayern - Juventus

In my opinion, we'll have the two La Liga giants and the two Bundesliga giants through to the Semis, but it's sure to be entertaining.

First legs of the Quarters just wrapped up.

Bayern thoroughly dominated Juventus and won their home leg 2-0. Honestly could've finished with 3 or 4 goals. Will be interesting to see what happens in the away leg, but it's a tough hole for Juve to dig out of.

PSG scored a goal in stoppage time to draw Barca 2-2 at home. PSG's first goal of the day (from Zlatan) was clearly offside, but I struggle to feel much sympathy for Barca. The real story of the day was that Messi left the game at halftime with a "right hamstring injury."

Bayern just dominated. They for my money are the best team in the sport at this point.

Wonder how serious Lionel's hammy is?

Bayern just dominated. They for my money are the best team in the sport at this point.

Wonder how serious Lionel's hammy is?
A bit of an unexpected wonder-strike from Alaba, but I love his game. He's going to be so special.
tumblr_mkn70rSjbV1qeiog8o1_400.gif

The semi-finals are officially set. The two best in Germany (FC Bayern and Borussia Dortmund) and the two best in Spain (Barca and Real Madrid) with the draw coming Friday morning.

The semi's are set. Madrid-Dortmund and Bayern-Barca

Bayern has definitely been the best team in Europe this year. Dominated Arsenal and Juventus. Barca struggled a lot at Milan and both legs vs PSG. I expect Bayern to beat them, advance, and win the whole thing.

Bayern has definitely been the best team in Europe this year. Dominated Arsenal and Juventus. Barca struggled a lot at Milan and both legs vs PSG. I expect Bayern to beat them, advance, and win the whole thing.

I agree but Bayern seem to be allergic to living up to expectations at times. However with their +70 goal differential in the Bundesliga this year and their CL results to date they are rolling in impressive fashion.