UCL Thread 2012-2013 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCL Thread 2012-2013

The first leg is over in the Allianz Arena, and Bayern absolutely throttled Barca 4-0. This is one of the best days I've ever had as a fan. Dortmund take on Real Madrid tomorrow in Dortmund.

crazymunich.gif

The first leg is over in the Allianz Arena, and Bayern absolutely throttled Barca 4-0. This is one of the best days I've ever had as a fan. Dortmund take on Real Madrid tomorrow in Dortmund.

crazymunich.gif

A severe beating to be sure and a bit of contreversy on that 3rd goal. Bayern should move on easily but I wont be surprised in the least if they have a player see red at Camp Nou and be suspended for the final.

A severe beating to be sure and a bit of contreversy on that 3rd goal. Bayern should move on easily but I wont be surprised in the least if they have a player see red at Camp Nou and be suspended for the final.
Yeah I know. The refs let Martinez and Schweinsteiger play real soccer and be physical on the tiny Barca midfielders today. We'll see what happens in the 2nd leg, but an early Bayern goal in Spain will put to rest any negative thoughts.

Yeah I know. The refs let Martinez and Schweinsteiger play real soccer and be physical on the tiny Barca midfielders today. We'll see what happens in the 2nd leg, but an early Bayern goal in Spain will put to rest any negative thoughts.

I wasn't watching but my buddy at work said "3rd goal was controversial" to which I replied "Not at Allianz it isn't". Still Camp Nou see's opposition sent off like clock work. RVP in 2011, Lehman 2006, and Drogba 2005.

Would love to see the German sides wipeout the Spanish sides. I can't watch the La Liga games. There is at least some parity in the EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A - obviously not a lot but a lot more than in Spain. Add to that two clubs whose debt in 20 years will be giving the U.S. national debt a run for its money... love this result. Was this on ESPN by chance - I forgot to look for it to DVR this morning.

I wasn't watching but my buddy at work said "3rd goal was controversial" to which I replied "Not at Allianz it isn't". Still Camp Nou see's opposition sent off like clock work. RVP in 2011, Lehman 2006, and Drogba 2005.
It was absolutely a foul, but Thomas Muller set a pick in the box that Jimmy B would've been proud of to free up Robben to slot home a beauty from a sharp angle. Barca got away with two hand balls in the penalty area so all was pretty even. Bayern thoroughly deserved to win 4-0, if not by more. (I know I'm biased, but that was pretty much the way most of the commentators felt on Fox Soccer as well.)
Here's the pick play. I wish it showed the finish, because it was a beauty that Robben tucked into the far corner.

I might feel worse about the pick if Jordi Alba didn't respond 5 minutes later by pulling this stunt.
sourgrapesbarcelona.gif

It was absolutely a foul, but Thomas Muller set a pick in the box that Jimmy B would've been proud of to free up Robben to slot home a beauty from a sharp angle. Barca got away with two hand balls in the penalty area so all was pretty even. Bayern thoroughly deserved to win 4-0, if not by more. (I know I'm biased, but that was pretty much the way most of the commentators felt on Fox Soccer as well.)
Here's the pick play. I wish it showed the finish, because it was a beauty that Robben tucked into the far corner.

I might feel worse about the pick if Jordi Alba didn't respond 5 minutes later by pulling this stunt.
sourgrapesbarcelona.gif

Appreciate the visuals. Sounded like things got chippy late. Surprised Alba didn't get red for that.

Appreciate the visuals. Sounded like things got chippy late. Surprised Alba didn't get red for that.
Barca is all about sportsmanship and fair play when referees are bending over backwards for them in La Liga. When things don't go their way and a team is allowed to physically press them up and down the field, they aren't such a mythical force.

Barca is all about sportsmanship and fair play when referees are bending over backwards for them in La Liga. When things don't go their way and a team is allowed to physically press them up and down the field, they aren't such a mythical force.

Same goes for the Spanish national team.

Would love to see the German sides wipeout the Spanish sides. I can't watch the La Liga games. There is at least some parity in the EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A - obviously not a lot but a lot more than in Spain. Add to that two clubs whose debt in 20 years will be giving the U.S. national debt a run for its money... love this result. Was this on ESPN by chance - I forgot to look for it to DVR this morning.

It was on Fox Soccer Channel. They're replaying it at 8 pm tonight and tomorrow at 10 am.

i don't know how Pep Guardiola can improve this Bayern side. Dominant Bundesliga title. In the finals of German Cup tournament and Champions League favorite. Bayern could easily win the treble this year.

Actually thought that was pretty funny, given the way Robben was being his usual pain in the ass self. I've seen defenders take a rocket off the boot of Balotelli with less drama than that. Just prior, he took a dive and the ball did go out on him, which I thought Alba was arguing about while Robben was in his face asking for the ball. Probably should have been the second yellow on Alba though.

Another shocker in Germany today. In the 80th minute Dortmund leads RM 4-1 on the strength of 4 Lewandowski goals.

I don't think I've watched more than one Bundesliga game and that was just to watch timmy Chandler...

Their league worth watching or just Dortmund and Munich special this year?

(I know Munich usually worth watching in CL)

I don't think I've watched more than one Bundesliga game and that was just to watch timmy Chandler...

Bundesliga is the most competitive league top to bottom. Worth watching and also the next big TV property to come up for a bid for US rights. I think the GolTV contract ends in 2014.

This year has been a bit of a down year for teams not named Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. There are usually 2 or 3 other really competitive teams in the Bundesliga and because the league is so young the teams vary. Schalke is usually just a notch below the top 2, and I believe they made the CL semis last season. Hamburg is usually a tough club to handle. Leverkusen had a few good years when Mario Gomez burst onto the scene and are coming back into form and sit 3rd in the table. My favorite thing about the league, as cusefan88 mentioned, is the top to bottom competitiveness and the style of play. It's a physical league but also one that scores a lot of goals. I'd much rather watch a mid-table BL game than one in basically any other league in the world. Also, the league forces its teams to operate in the black. While Real Madrid and Barca sink deeper and deeper into debt, clubs like Bayern and Dortmund do the opposite. This is why nearly all the stadiums you see around the Bundesliga are fairly new or recently refurbished. If you're into stadiums and stadium architecture, go on YouTube and watch a few of the videos about the Allianz Arena in Munich. And to watch another American, Fabian Johnson plays for Hoffenheim (although they might get relegated this year).

This year has been a bit of a down year for team's not named Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. There are usually 2 or 3 other really competitive teams in the Bundesliga and because the league is so young the teams vary. Schalke is usually just a notch below the top 2, and I believe they made the CL semis last season. Hamburg is usually a tough club to handle. Leverkusen had a few good years when Mario Gomez burst onto the scene and are coming back into form and sit 3rd in the table. My favorite thing about the league, as cusefan88 mentioned, is the top to bottom competitiveness and the style of play. It's a physical league but also one that scores a lot of goals. I'd much rather watch a mid-table BL game than one in basically any other league in the world. Also, the league forces its teams to operate in the black. While Real Madrid and Barca sink deeper and deeper into debt, clubs like Bayern and Dortmund do the opposite. This is why nearly all the stadiums you see around the Bundesliga are fairly new or recently refurbished. If you're into stadiums and stadium architecture, go on YouTube and watch a few of the videos about the Allianz Arena in Munich. And to watch another American, Fabian Johnson plays for Hoffenheim (although they might get relegated this year).

Everything you just stated is why the Bundesliga is set to become the dominant league in football. The only thing that may stop it is City, Chelsea, Man U splashing the amounts of cash the English papers are reporting they will. If that happens the BPL could go from 3rd to 1st.

. And to watch another American, Fabian Johnson plays for Hoffenheim (although they might get relegated this year).

Danny Williams is Hoff too.

Wonder if Terrance Boyd gets a Bundesliga sniff soon.

It's more worthwhile than any other league unless you have a specific rooting interest IMHO. Any Bundesliga game you watch will be entertaining and most of the crowds are fantastic. They play a tougher brand of football (#hardnosed) and diving isn't as prevelant or rewarded like it is in in other leagues.

7-0 on aggregate for Bayern over Barcelona. I don't care that Messi didn't play, as that's on his manager who decided he should play in their league game against Bilbao and not this one. Also, Bayern has been without Kroos and Badstuber in both legs (two players that start for Germany). I'm cautiously optimistic for the final. This feels like a year of destiny for Bayern but anything can happen in a single game. If the final was decided over two legs I'd love our chances a lot more. Luckily, we avoided the trap of Camp Nou and head to Wembley without anyone suspended because of yellows (Schweinsteiger, Lahm, and Martinez all would've missed the final with another yellow).

Also, a Bayern fan ran onto the field during the team's celebration after the game and Ribery game him a game-worn jersey before he was hauled off by police. Awesomeness.

7-0 on aggregate for Bayern over Barcelona. I don't care that Messi didn't play, as that's on his manager who decided he should play in their league game against Bilbao and not this one. Also, Bayern has been without Kroos and Badstuber in both legs (two players that start for Germany). I'm cautiously optimistic for the final. This feels like a year of destiny for Bayern but anything can happen in a single game. If the final was decided over two legs I'd love our chances a lot more. Luckily, we avoided the trap of Camp Nou and head to Wembley without anyone suspended because of yellows (Schweinsteiger, Lahm, and Martinez all would've missed the final with another yellow).

Also, a Bayern fan ran onto the field during the team's celebration after the game and Ribery game him a game-worn jersey before he was hauled off by police. Awesomeness.

Ribery's a class act. I hope my daughter marries him.

They drew 1-1 @ Allianz earlier this year and tomorrow's match will likely feature a ton of reserves so will be hard to gauge. Bayern, on paper, look to be the superior talent but familiarity could be the great equilizer and that earlier contest was very close statistically. Bayern are on a tear but I'm expecting a tight match in CL final.

They drew 1-1 @ Allianz earlier this year and tomorrow's match will likely feature a ton of reserves so will be hard to gauge. Bayern, on paper, look to be the superior talent but familiarity could be the great equilizer and that earlier contest was very close statistically. Bayern are on a tear but I'm expecting a tight match in CL final.
We played again today but Bayern only sent out 3 or 4 of the 11 players that are likely to see the field for the CL final (Neuer, Boateng, Alaba, and maybe Van Buyten). In fairness, Dortmund's defense was essentially whole but their entire attacking midfield and top strikers rested. The 1-1 draw today really shows nothing of what's to be expected at Wembley later this month. Familiarity is the reason I'm more excited than I was for last season's match against Chelsea, and I think it's going to be time for Bayern to cement themselves as the best club in the world by winning the Champions League. At this point, anything less than a treble will be disappointing. I would've been rooting for Dortmund had Bayern not survived against Barca, but now, I can't be happier that they eliminated a player like Cristiano Ronaldo in a one-match final.