UCONN…. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN….

It doesn’t change the fact that -
at the moment that Huerter was going to commit -
Cuse did NOT have a scholarship available for him.

Period. Full stop.

What happened later, happened later.
There was a problem with evaluation of recruits during JB’s last decade. This is one reason why I wasn’t sad to see GMac leave. I think we need to upgrade our evaluation capabilities. We’ve had far too many recruiting busts and missed on other guys we should have offered. Straughn is supposed to be a better evaluator. We need at least one more on staff.

I think the bigger problems for Syracuse were Boeheim's zone defense and the rumors every year that Boehiem would retire and both hurt the recruiting of top players. That is in the past and everyone needs to focus on how Red is going to rebuild the program, and yes, it is a total rebuild. What Hurley has done at UConn is instructive, but Red has to rebuild the program in his own way. I hope everyone has the patience to let that happen as you can't rebuild in one year, especially since Red is a first time head coach. BTW, I don't care what others think, but I think it was a very successful first year.

Mali left and we got White. They were never going to be on the roster together. We only used 9 scholarships that season. We had 10 available. It was crappy roster management.

1Frank HowardG6' 5''205So.Suitland, Md. / Paul VI
2Matthew MoyerF6' 8''220Fr.Gahanna, Ohio / Lincoln HS/South Kent Prep (Conn.)
3Andrew White IIIG6' 7''210Gr.Richmond, Va. / Miller School
4John GillonG6' 0''178Gr.Houston, Texas / Strake Jesuit HS
12Taurean ThompsonF6' 10''225Fr.New York, N.Y. / St. Anthony HS/Brewster Academy (N.H.)
13Paschal ChukwuC7' 2''226So.Enugu, Nigeria / Trinity Catholic H.S./Fairfield Prep (Conn.)
20Tyler LydonF6' 9''223So.Elizaville, N.Y. / New Hampton School, N.H.
21Tyler RobersonF6' 8''226Sr.Union, N.J. / Roselle Catholic
25Tyus BattleG6' 6''205Fr.Edison, N.J. / Gill St. Bernard's School/St. Joseph's (N.J.)
32DaJuan ColemanC6' 9''258Gr.Jamesville, N.Y. / Jamesville-DeWitt

12Taurean ThompsonF6' 10''225Fr.New York, N.Y. / St. Anthony HS/Brewster Academy (N.H.)
13Paschal ChukwuC7' 2''226So.Enugu, Nigeria / Trinity Catholic H.S./Fairfield Prep (Conn.)
25Tyus BattleG6' 6''205Fr.Edison, N.J. / Gill St. Bernard's School/St. Joseph's (N.J.)
Forgot Moyer redshirted. Thanks. Not great having he and Taurean on the roster at the same time.

Forgot Moyer redshirted. Thanks. Not great having he and Taurean on the roster at the same time.

Taureen got forced into the Maliq Brown role that year.

Coleman only played 17 games because of his knee (after playing all 37 games the season before), and Chewie only played 7 before getting his eye poked out.

Taureen got forced into the Maliq Brown role that year.

Coleman only played 17 games because of his knee (after playing all 37 games the season before), and Chewie only played 7 before getting his eye poked out.

TT was the Bizarro World version of Maliq at the 5.

He was a decently good offensive player.
Who was a total matador on D.

I posted at the time that
“Taurean thinks that playing D is what the other 4 guys do,
until we get the ball back and he can jack up a shot.”

Taurean's Mom wouldn't let him play defense. All that extra mileage would hurt his resale value.

Weird player how many bigs were better at 19 and freshmen than 22 and seniors? He literally became unplayable at Seton Hall. Was one or two years too young to change schools every year.

Guards sure anyone can lose their shot like Taylor this year for us but big men?

Revisionist history.

JAB only wanted him to reclassify (and do a prep year) because we didn’t have an open scholarship for him *at that time*.

However, he then got the Twerps offer (and maybe others), and fairly quickly then chose Maryland.

Not long after, we had a scholarship open up.
(I think maybe because Mali declared for draft? I forget the specifics of this part)
But it was too late, Huerter’s Cuse ship had already sailed.
This is correct. Battle backed out of Michigan and chose us in early July 2015 (before his senior year). Huerter started blowing up that summer and we wanted him too because we thought he could play PG. But we had scholarship restrictions due to the sanctions. We were limited to having only 10 scholarships for the 2016-17 season, but we appealed to the NCAA so we could have 11 in 2016-17, and almost everyone expected that we were gonna win the appeal, which would have left us with room for Huerter. But JB made a preemptive decision in the summer to limit us on offering Huerter on the chance that we didn’t win the appeal. Which was foolish because we all know that other players always unexpectedly decide to transfer every year. It was obvious that some guys were probably gonna transfer out after 2015-16 due to not getting enough playing time. Do you think Cal or Self or K would have artificially limited themselves? They would’ve just planned to have “the talk” with certain underperforming guys after the season to make room for Huerter and other players. But JB played it way too conservatively because he didn’t think we needed Huerter, and then we got burned (as some of us knew we would) when Mali went pro and Kaleb Joseph transferred AND we won the appeal. JB was not aggressive enough about getting and maintaining talent in his later years. Jalen Brunson anyone?

You could apply that quote to a lot of guys on this year's team.

Hurley was on Pardon My Take again this AM. Absolutely hate that I enjoy him so much when he's on.

Mali left and we got White. They were never going to be on the roster together. We only used 9 scholarships that season. We had 10 available. It was crappy roster management.
After the appeal we were allowed to have 11 scholarship players this season.

I had a friend text me that his coworker was at some speakers program in west hartford at like 6pm today and saw the entire Uconn team there lol

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online