UCONN Asks for waiver for APR (Grades) | Syracusefan.com

UCONN Asks for waiver for APR (Grades)

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
They get caught cheating, Boatright takes extra benefits and they want a waiver on the APR. Watch Emmerrt give it to them. What a joke Uconn and Calhoun are.

If they don't get it I believe they will not be eligible for next seasons NCAAT, lets hope that they are denied and it puts them out of the running for Noel.

How in the hell is this crooked institution allowed to get away with this stuff? Boatright is allowed effin plea bargin???

This is such bullshit that the NCAA ought to be dissolved

Just a thought...if Missouri places a player academically ineligible as 'Cuse did with Fab for a few games; HOW IS IT THAT UCONN DOESNT HAVE PLAYERS ineligible to play this year if APR is so bad...someone has to be failing...?????

They're probably asking the NCAA to ban them from this year's tournament instead. Considering they probably won't qualify for this year's tourney, it seems like a safe bet for them.

Just a thought...if Missouri places a player academically ineligible as 'Cuse did with Fab for a few games; HOW IS IT THAT UCONN DOESNT HAVE PLAYERS ineligible to play this year if APR is so bad...someone has to be failing...?????
If you leave in bad academic standing it hurts your APR. UConn had several of those guys from 07-09.

I think the waiver Uconn is asking for may to be to use more recent data? I think Ir ead that somewhere.

HOW IS IT THAT UCONN DOESNT HAVE PLAYERS ineligible to play this year if APR is so bad...someone has to be failing...?????

Their current APR score has nothing to do with this year. Which isn't to say they don't have anyone failing, but the APR scores come out on like a year delay I think? I think the 2011 scores come out after this year's tournament?

I think the waiver Uconn is asking for may to be to use more recent data? I think Ir ead that somewhere.

Their current APR score has nothing to do with this year. Which isn't to say they don't have anyone failing, but the APR scores come out on like a year delay I think? I think the 2011 scores come out after this year's tournament?

But they are still trying to bypass the penalty for low APR regardless and I have to believe that they will have a hard time doing that after what they just pulled to work around the scholly limits they were given. Its no accident that the NCAA is with them over Boatwright twice in one season. Uconn got caught and penalized only to laugh at the NCAA and take the #1 player in the class when they didn't have the schollies available.

The penalty for low APR is BS as it is. No one really cares about graduation rates. Given some of our guys we shouldn't be taking too much pleasure in their situation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

APR is garbage. Everyone knows that.

He who is without sin be the first to cast the stone. Rocks tosses UCONN's way shouldn't be coming from this board.

UCONN's APR for last year and what they are on track for this year is very good. The fact that they appear to have made the changes to improve going forward may be a point in their favor. Also, if I am remembering correctly the penalties for low APR were decided on and levied after the fact. That seems pretty unfair to me, not that I would ever consider fairness or reasonableness a part of NCAA mindsets. However, the fact is that UCONN had no idea of the penalties that would befall the program and thus no remedy was known to be needed during the academic years it is being penalized for. Now if in 2007 the NCAA said that going forward from this point if you fall short of the APR standards you would be banned from NCAA play UCONN would not have much of a leg to stand on, but going backwards to determine the penalty just does not seem right to me.

APR is garbage. Everyone knows that.

He who is without sin be the first to cast the stone. Rocks tosses UCONN's way shouldn't be coming from this board.
I disagree, standards are needed. The only problem is a lack of uniformity from one school to another as to what is required to be in good academic standing. I live in CT, and UCONN under Calhoun has gotten away with a ton of B.S., there should be some accountability. UCONN does play fast and loose more than any other eastern university I am aware of. Every year there seems to be a lot of smoke around the program and whenever a fire breaks out a minor slap on the wrist is all that is felt. A year of ineligibility and all of the negative press surrounding that penalty appears to be both deserved and needed to make Calhoun at least develop some form of good ethical behavior.

I'm not piling on Connecticut for any of this, because Syracuse is going to be doing the exact same thing in two years.

The game does need standards. One of the requirements for playing college sports is enrollment and fulfillment of class requirements. Athletes enrolled in a school ought to go to class and fulfill their (modest) academic obligations. This seems a no-brainer. If their coaches (and, to a lesser extent, teammates) won't create an atmosphere where those responsibilities are valued, then there should be consequences.

And I'll be real sorry when we're on the outside looking in.

I think it is unfair for UConn to be banned when the rule was added after some of the statistics that define the criteria were already in the books.

The kid is officially a walk on. They didn't bypass the rules or sanctions. BTW. I don't care for U CON.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

They get caught cheating, Boatright takes extra benefits and they want a waiver on the APR. Watch Emmerrt give it to them. What a joke Uconn and Calhoun are.

Didn't SU lose a scholie due to APR after the Flynn, Devo, Harris departures? I don't remember SU trying to get out of it. They sucked it up and took their punishment. UConn seems to always try and get around things. Do the crime, do the time.

The APR is an interesting calculation. It's not really a good way of calculating grades or graduation, but there isn't much else better.

UConn has not been very good at keeping it up in the past.

There are a few reasons for it at any school:
  1. The main culprit is grades of seniors and early entrants to the NBA. If those players leave school early to workout at draft camps and don't finish that semester's courses the school loses points. Some schools do a great job of making sure their players "finish" those courses. It's interesting because this favors Freshman over Seniors as it's much easier to be on pace to graduate as a Freshman than a Senior. Not saying there is a better way but...
  2. Secondarily, there are players that transfer to a non-D1 school (transfers to D1 schools, if on scholarship, can get points back).
  3. Finally, you have the players who are just bad students or get kicked out of school and end up in bad academic standing.
There is some precedence for a team getting a waiver from the NCAA for having academic improvement over consecutive years. This happened to UAB in 2010? I think. They were banned from NCAAT play and had that ban removed.
UConn is under the assumption that 2010-2011 APR is going to be about 975/1000 which is 1 lost point and should be about that high or higher for the 2011-2012 season. UConn is looking to do two things:
  1. Get one or both scholarships back
  2. Become eligible for the NCAA by having them shift from using the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 scores for the 2012-2013 tournament to using the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 scores. Considering the rule was written during the 2010-2011 season, it seems UConn might have a legitimate case for this argument.

The APR is an interesting calculation. It's not really a good way of calculating grades or graduation, but there isn't much else better.

UConn has not been very good at keeping it up in the past.

There are a few reasons for it at any school:
  1. The main culprit is grades of seniors and early entrants to the NBA. If those players leave school early to workout at draft camps and don't finish that semester's courses the school loses points. Some schools do a great job of making sure their players "finish" those courses. It's interesting because this favors Freshman over Seniors as it's much easier to be on pace to graduate as a Freshman than a Senior. Not saying there is a better way but...
  2. Secondarily, there are players that transfer to a non-D1 school (transfers to D1 schools, if on scholarship, can get points back).
  3. Finally, you have the players who are just bad students or get kicked out of school and end up in bad academic standing.
There is some precedence for a team getting a waiver from the NCAA for having academic improvement over consecutive years. This happened to UAB in 2010? I think. They were banned from NCAAT play and had that ban removed.

UConn is under the assumption that 2010-2011 APR is going to be about 975/1000 which is 1 lost point and should be about that high or higher for the 2011-2012 season. UConn is looking to do two things:
  1. Get one or both scholarships back
  2. Become eligible for the NCAA by having them shift from using the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 scores for the 2012-2013 tournament to using the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 scores. Considering the rule was written during the 2010-2011 season, it seems UConn might have a legitimate case for this argument.

There is no doubt its stupid and unfair but if it keeps you out of the running for Noel and increases our chances then I can deal wwith the NCAA sticking it to you.:D

There is no doubt its stupid and unfair but if it keeps you out of the running for Noel and increases our chances then I can deal wwith the NCAA sticking it to you.:D

LOL fair enough.

UConn being in the running for Noel probably hinges as much on Drummond and Lamb as on the NCAAT, IMO. I think the NCAA will eventually allow the NCAAT aspect to be switched but who knows the timing for either.

what i find funny with this topic is that uconn was one of the schools pushing for more advanced apr sanctions and the first year they are activated they would be punished.

LOL fair enough.

UConn being in the running for Noel probably hinges as much on Drummond and Lamb as on the NCAAT, IMO. I think the NCAA will eventually allow the NCAAT aspect to be switched but who knows the timing for either.
UConn is a distant 3rd right now it sounds like. I don't think his decision at all revolves around Drummond or Lamb.

LOL fair enough.

Having a Scholly for Noel would be an issue next year if everyone stays correct? Even if Drummund leaves that doesn't free up a scholly so you need Lamb to go as well I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom