UCONN fans are realizing... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN fans are realizing...

At the time hiring P seemed like the kind of suggestion a sports talk radio caller makes, because the caller doesn't know any other names and P has ties to the state. The equivalent of someone saying we should bring Mac back in 2005.

Of course those kind of suggestions never actually happen, except in this case it did! It made no sense and has been the disaster many of us predicted.

Best example was Pitt bringing back Johnny Majors in the 90s.

And by best I mean worst.

I guess it's a testament to northeast football traditional teams like Pitt/SU to be able to withstand Johnny Majors part 2/Greg Robinson part 1, and still get up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

that stripping Deleone of his play calling title, doesn't necessarily strip him of his play calling duties in Pasqualoni's world.

Its amazing to watch this all play out like it did in Syracuse a decade ago. I mean its utterly the same.

it's funny how fan bases can talk themselves into a guy despite an overwhelming consensus from the fans of the prior team

Us with spence, clemson fans that we're going to have bubble screens coming out the a, we say well maybe nah

then there's gerg

that stripping Deleone of his play calling title, doesn't necessarily strip him of his play calling duties in Pasqualoni's world.

Its amazing to watch this all play out like it did in Syracuse a decade ago. I mean its utterly the same.

Coaches P&D were our Trojan Horse to destroy the UConn football program. Now, if we can only get them the job at Rutgers after they are fired from UConn, all will be right in the world.

The worst is yet to come for UConn. Just wait until their hoops program starts to disintegrate in the AAC. They are about 3 years away from becoming the equivalent to St. Louis.

Looking at their hoops recruiting sure is interesting. Despite the great job Ollie did last year with a sub-par roster and no post season, he's got something like 50+ offers out there to the next 2 classes and only 1 commit - another shooting guard instead of forwards and big men. It's getting to the point that UConn offers come with 5 visits to Burger King. Be sure to get your card punched !

Honestly, part of me is sad to see this play out. I really wanted P to do well and thought he was doing well at the NFL level as a coordinator / position coach before taking the UConn gig.

Whatever one thinks of his culpability in the downturn of our program, he still put in a lot of great years at SU. I have a lot of respect for the guy and really hope that whatever is next for him goes well.

Honestly, part of me is sad to see this play out. I really wanted P to do well and thought he was doing well at the NFL level as a coordinator / position coach before taking the UConn gig.

Whatever one thinks of his culpability in the downturn of our program, he still put in a lot of great years at SU. I have a lot of respect for the guy and really hope that whatever is next for him goes well.
The other sad aspect of this is I think he wanted to return to his home state and end his career on a positive note, coaching with his longtime friend and sidekick Deleone.

Last edited:
The other sad aspect of this is I think we wanted to return to his home state and end his career on a positive note, coaching with his longtime friend and sidekick Deleone.

That makes sense. It would be a nice bookend to his career.

I hope the Syracuse community fully embraces him and appreciates what he did here. The more he feels welcome and part of the family, the better.

Luckily for Paul he will have made close to $5M to deliver 3 losing seasons of football at UConn (plus whatever the remaining buyout ends up being) - he can always get another position coaching gig in the NFL based on his track record and connections - this was a nice windfall for him so late in his career.

That makes sense. It would be a nice bookend to his career.

I hope the Syracuse community fully embraces him and appreciates what he did here. The more he feels welcome and part of the family, the better.

I personally think we should invite him back and honor him at halftime. Not for what he did at SU, which of course was impressive. But for mucking up Uconn and restoring them to their rightful place of irrelevance in CFB. That alone should earn him a "Coach P Day" at the Dome.

Luckily for Paul he will have made close to $5M to deliver 3 losing seasons of football at UConn (plus whatever the remaining buyout ends up being) - he can always get another position coaching gig in the NFL based on his track record and connections - this was a nice windfall for him so late in his career.
Plus he got a chance to beat us and he did.

That may be true...but the first mistake was Jake C. not doing it several years sooner. Gross was in a tough situation...hang onto him for another year(he'd already been hanging around for years too long, with things steadily falling apart) and continue another year of likely treading water at best or going backwards at worst, or fire him but not have the best candidates available to hire.
Gross didn't want to do it at that point. Nancy forced him to.

UCONN is going to want to pull the trigger on Paul sooner rather than later, if they are going to fire him. You don't want to be UCONN hunting for a coach when Nebraska, USC and Texas are all looking for coaches. You may not be fishing in the same coaching pool, but the ripple effect of those jobs being open could mess with UCONN's search.

UCONN is going to want to pull the trigger on Paul sooner rather than later, if they are going to fire him. You don't want to be UCONN hunting for a coach when Nebraska, USC and Texas are all looking for coaches. You may not be fishing in the same coaching pool, but the ripple effect of those jobs being open could mess with UCONN's search.
Real good point. Dominoes...

I'm hoping they can grab a small school gig together and go out building up a program.
As much as I like to bitch about Deleone's play calling I wish them nothing but the best. They did a ton for our program over the years.

It would be great to bring back P with some of his players to be recognized for their accomplishments.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Kind of like fishing in a pond but as you said it could turn out to be a puddle.

If/when Coach P is let go at UConn, I would expect them to hire Turner Gill as their new HC. He and UConn AD Warde Manuel are extremely close, UConn has no money to hire a big name and Gill has proven he can do pretty well working with border line D1 athletes.

Gill is currently the HC at Liberty University, so UConn should not have a problem luring him to the bright lights and cityspaces of Storrs.

Bill in Nebraska approves of this hire.

If/when Coach P is let go at UConn, I would expect them to hire Turner Gill as their new HC. He and UConn AD Warde Manuel are extremely close, UConn has no money to hire a big name and Gill has proven he can do pretty well working with border line D1 athletes.

Gill is currently the HC at Liberty University, so UConn should not have a problem luring him to the bright lights and cityspaces of Storrs.

that's a good call. i doubt gill is as bad as his kansas record shows. kansas is hopeless

this is random but it goes to show how different college football is now. gill was awesome and johnny manziel had 482 yards more last year than Gill did his whole career.

They better not call him at 11PM

Gill is a good mid major coach and might do ok at uconn, but they seem to hate Manuel as it is. Their fans would run him out of town if he hired his buddy.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2