UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

Was Hop an elite recruiter from the start? Gmac may get there, but the circumstances of only 2 recruiters on the road during the NCAA nonsense seems to make everything quite different from when Hop was doing it.

I get your point, but the use of absolutes when comparing guys in different times of their career seems off to me.

Yes, GMac (likeAdrian Autry) took on more recruiting and administrative responsibilities during sanctions when the assistants allowed to recruit were reduced and while both JB and Hop were heavily involved with USA/Olympic basketball. Wonder if Autry and GMac will get any of the same great opportunities that Hop got because of JB’s work with the Olympics etc.?

Was Hop an elite recruiter from the start? Gmac may get there, but the circumstances of only 2 recruiters on the road during the NCAA nonsense seems to make everything quite different from when Hop was doing it.

I get your point, but the use of absolutes when comparing guys in different times of their career seems off to me.
Hop replaced Bernie as lead assistant because of how good Hop was as a recruiter and JB recognizing it.

Hop is an elite recruiter.

Hurley is possibly going to lose Jalen Adams as well this offseason in addition to Terry Larrier, who is going pro. He is starting from scratch at UConn. His best recruit for next season will be Sid Wilson who transferred from St. John's before the Fall semester began.
Adams will stay. Larrier sucked. Gilbert should be back. The rest are kind of useless. It’ll depend if he takes any URI commits

The only folks who think SU is not a top tier job, are those insecure SU fans who’ll never give the program enough credit.
Despite the wins, the crowds, and the tradition, there’s a perpetual chip on the shoulder element to some in our fanbase, that’ll never go away.

The George Costanza “is it lupus? I told you God would never let me be successful!” element of the fanbase.

Everyone see UConn as a stepping stone job, except UConn fans

Espn is reporting it’s $2 million a year. I haven’t seen the $3.1 million that someone else mentioned. If it’s $2 million Hurley must really want the easier path. How else do you explain taking 2/3rds the salary from a school in a really odd conference (being nice) that is potentially facing sanctions? Oh and the administration just fired a coach and are attempting to keep money he’s owed? Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me
With Puke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse and now Virginia, the ACC is just too much of a juggernaut. That’s four elite programs and one newly elite school to compete with every year just to get into the top 5. Pitt and other good programs like Miami, NC State, Florida State, etc have such an uphill battle every year.

With the right coach, UConn really should be a top 3 school in the American year in and year out. Though there are other good programs there like Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple, Houston and Memphis, UConn has to compete. I guess what’s hurting them is the fact that kids in their Northeast recruiting base want to play in the ACC or Big East, not the American.

With Puke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse and now Virginia, the ACC is just too much of a juggernaut. That’s four elite programs and one newly elite school to compete with every year just to get into the top 5. Pitt and other good programs like Miami, NC State, Florida State, etc have such an uphill battle every year.

With the right coach, UConn really should be a top 3 school in the American year in and year out. Though there are other good programs there like Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple, Houston6and Memphis, UConn has to compete. I guess what’s hurting them is the fact that kids in their Northeast recruiting base want to play in the ACC or Big East, not the American.

The problem is (other than year 1) - UCONN keeps finishing 6th or worse in the ACK.

If you wanna be a spunky mid-major, you need to be at least Top-3 in your mid-major conference, year in and year out. No guarantee Hurley will do any better in that regard than Ollie did.

With the right coach, UConn really should be a top 3 school in the American year in and year out. Though there are other good programs there like Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple, Houston and Memphis, UConn has to compete. I guess what’s hurting them is the fact that kids in their Northeast recruiting base want to play in the ACC or Big East, not the American.
This.

This is a great hire for UCONN, best they could hope for. I detest the Mutts as much as anyone, but JC built a viable brand at Storrs. Hurley’s a NE guy w/ recruiting ties and a legendary surname- you think he doesn’t have connections up the ying-yang?
UCONN could and should eventually rule the AACkkk, much like Nova has come to rule the NBE. 20 win seasons and NCAA Tourney bids should be the minimum in that mid-major conference.
I see Hurley having them back on top in a couple of seasons, and frankly, I’m looking forward to it. Much as i hate to admit it, I kinda missed them being good.

This is a great hire for UCONN, best they could hope for. I detest the Mutts as much as anyone, but JC built a viable brand at Storrs. Hurley’s a NE guy w/ recruiting ties and a legendary surname- you think he doesn’t have connections up the ying-yang?
UCONN could and should eventually rule the AACkkk, much like Nova has come to rule the NBE. 20 win seasons and NCAA Tourney bids should be the minimum in that mid-major conference.
I see Hurley having them back on top in a couple of seasons, and frankly, I’m looking forward to it. Much as i hate to admit it, I kinda missed them being good.
source.gif

They were good, but it seems SOOO long ago. More recently they were REALLY REALLY BAD ... (in this case I'm a primacy believer). But I agree this is a good hire for them, and will get them back to the top of the "mismajor" league as you mentioned, with the Freudian misspelling before you edited. :cool:

What can i say... my nephew’s a UCONN alum, and i got sick & tired of dumping on him.
He became like that Springsteen lyric:
“End up like a dog that’s been beat too much, till you spend half your life just covering up”.
He had no retort and it just wasn’t fun anymore! :)

I don't see UConn dominating that league. Cincinnati and Wichita State will be good as long as they keep their coaches, and, if Hardaway can coach all of the great local recruits he'll get, Memphis will be good too. Not to mention Houston with Sampson.

meh. they hired a regional guy that has had moderate success. maybe it is a home run, maybe it is isn't but one thing they have shown is that their fanbase will turn on a coach in a heartbeat. and the cupboard isn't exactly full.

All 3 2018 UConn commits have been released from their NLI.

All 3 guys Uconn fans were excited about. Interesting to see what Hurley does next

I think both UConn and Pitt made very good hires.

This UConn team is beautiful to watch. I thought Hurley was a jerk and would argue his way into getting fired, but boy, can he coach. They used to be a bit ugly on offense and rely just on in your face defense. But this team, they pass and move like an old North Carolina team under Dean Smith. It's beautiful basketball.

They have a balanced line up, a nice mix of size and athleticism. Multiple ball handlers and shooters. I love the action where they penetrate into the lane, and then pause, waiting for Edey's reaction. And they seem to score after every single time out. What a well coached team.

This UConn team is beautiful to watch. I thought Hurley was a jerk and would argue his way into getting fired, but boy, can he coach. They used to be a bit ugly on offense and rely just on in your face defense. But this team, they pass and move like an old North Carolina team under Dean Smith. It's beautiful basketball.

They have a balanced line up, a nice mix of size and athleticism. Multiple ball handlers and shooters. I love the action where they penetrate into the lane, and then pause, waiting for Edey's reaction. And they seem to score after every single time out. What a well coached team.

I just read all 10 pages of past posts. Wow to see how some of these takes developed. Man oh man it’s crazy what can happen in 5/6 years
There's a lot that didn't age well in here!

44cuse

If the right job comes, I’m guessing he jumps to the pros - if the Celtics don’t live up to expectations in the playoffs, he could replace Mazzula

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom