Uconn to the B12 looking likely | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn to the B12 looking likely

Big 12 is a place I hope we end up in the event the ACC collapses. UConn being there is good for us because eventually they would want to fill in that space between Morgantown and Storrs.

Hurley’s recruiting really took off with the Big East. Ultimately it might be slightly harder for them to recruit since they won’t have the BET and the general allure of that conference to northeast kids.

I do not see the B1g or sec continuing to expand any time soon. Already read that some schools are not wanting to expand because it cuts into their distribution. Maybe those conferences try to shed underperforming teams in the future to add other teams.

We know that but the idiots at Florida St only care about themselves.
That's why the ACC is in trouble too many only care about themselves and not the whole.
A good conference doesn't care only about 1 but all when making decisions.
You have to wonder the ACC's commissioners role is in this. They hire an outsider and maybe he can guide the members down the proper path.

Yukon's athletics as a hole is interesting. They have eliminated some sports, obviously struggle in what should their number one money making sport and yet are extremely successful in other sports.

They need to determine their identity. Do they go all in and attach themselves to the Big 12, or possibly the ACC, or do they be realistic and minimize football and stay in the Big East and mimic Villanova.

They are in a tough situation, especially if the ACC is not an option. Normally I wouldn't care except my niece will be attending Yukon as a member of their swimming and diving team, so it's interesting to see what they do.

Their fans will hate this they are in the perfect place BE Hoops and fight for a bowl with a new schedule every year. If I was a fan of a 1AA team that moved up and had no history I'd be content with watching those games coming off 6-6.

B12 is good for the teams in it but I wouldn't be in a rush to join no more Texas or Oklahoma means their next TV deal won't be great. Still some very good fanbases.

We know that but the idiots at Florida St only care about themselves.
That's why the ACC is in trouble too many only care about themselves and not the whole.
A good conference doesn't care only about 1 but all when making decisions.
Of course they only care about themselves, every school does. You don’t think Syracuse would bolt immediately if the big 10 came calling? Self preservation is the #1 concern for all schools (as it should be).

UConn‘s dream is that this talk about joining the B12 makes the ACC panic and offer them a spot. They would probably get a full payout in the ACC, they would have some important rivalries restored and the games would be a lot more interesting for the fanbase. Their basketball program might still end up decent in the ACC.
It's certainly accomplishing that with some of the posters here.

I haven't been following the confrence expansion topic for a bit, so could someone explain to me why the B12 would want Uconn? How would they add money to the current contract?

It's certainly accomplishing that with some of the posters here.
Do you think it would be a good thing for Syracuse to have BigXII teams come into the northeast to play and recruit?

Yeah I don’t see what UCONN adds to the Big 12 at all. I think it’s all smoke to try to get the ACC to bite.

Maybe the Big 12 can add more Pac 12 schools and Cincy / WVU can shift to the ACC where they belong.

Not all that worried about it, no.
Talking mostly about basketball here. Kansas, Baylor, Houston and the other strong programs in current B12 and possibly Arizona as well.

Do you think it would be a good thing for Syracuse to have BigXII teams come into the northeast to play and recruit?
Not all that worried about it, no.
What Cusian said. Take a step back and ask yourself if UConn actually bring enough value to merit being on such an island relative to the rest of the conference. WVU merits it since their football brand and associated $$$ >>>> UConn's basketball, not to mention UConn's football being a liability, even if Mora makes them competitive.

While the B12 could potentially be interested in order to poke the ACC in the eye, it just doesn't seem to make financial sense, and that's what this is all about.

What Cusian said. Take a step back and ask yourself if UConn actually bring enough value to merit being on such an island relative to the rest of the conference. WVU merits it since their football brand and associated $$$ >>>> UConn's basketball, not to mention UConn's football being a liability, even if Mora makes them competitive.

While the B12 could potentially be interested in order to poke the ACC in the eye, it just doesn't seem to make financial sense, and that's what this is all about.
Probably find out soon as CU has a board meeting Friday and could start the movement.

Do not think UConn would get the votes to get in. FSU, Clemson and BC are definite no’s. I don’t think Virginia, Unc and NCState would approve them either.
I agree that expansion probably doesn’t have the support in the ACC. But I think it’s a mistake and shortsighted on the part of those ACC schools not to be proactive.

Last edited:
My UConn-alum family member hates the idea, but realizes they'd have to bite if offered.
It'd be a great deal for them, much more than for the conference. More money, play great mbb/wbb programs, and not have to do too much in football, IOW the status quo.

UConn is only a potential +1 at this point. They will not get an invite to any league on their own. The ACC doesn't have to worry as they have USF and Temple as leftover +1s if Notre Dame ever says yes.

Colorado AND Arizona.

Huskies and Wildcats and Buffs, OH MY !

My Wildcat son is not opposed to the Big 12, but is not happy about the potential of a UA / ASU split. Hates ASU with a passion, but loves the rivalry and thinks (he's right) it's going to take a big hit if they split up

I feel like the same people saying the ACC is going to imminently die are the same people that said it would die 5 years ago. Eventually you may be right after 100 predictions.

The ACC is solid and solidly in the third position which they will remain for the next 20 or more years

My UConn-alum family member hates the idea, but realizes they'd have to bite if offered.
It'd be a great deal for them, much more than for the conference. More money, play great mbb/wbb programs, and not have to do too much in football, IOW the status quo.
It's a little bit how I felt about us moving to the ACC-I don't love it. but we had to do it

I haven't been following the confrence expansion topic for a bit, so could someone explain to me why the B12 would want Uconn? How would they add money to the current contract?
1. They think basketball will have more relevancy and be a bigger slice of the pie in the future.
2. They want an NYC footprint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom