Unacceptable. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Unacceptable.

I took a couple of hours off to let this one settle in. Confused how a team that got to the sweet 16 last year can return all of its players, add Hughes and Carey but still be less than last year at the end? Is it the players or the coaches, I just do not know? Maybe a bit of each. We can not will our under performing centers to be better. That may come only with better plays and practice. But we just had one entire week to get ready for this fiasco. No excuses for missing so many free throws, no excuse for the seemingly continuous lack of effort, even "don't worry, we have this" attitude throughout the game. Then to give ODU credit for a great defense is a laugh. Five senior citizens from an adult center using walkers can stop our offense that loves to throw it back and forth outside at the top. We keep passing until we get a missed pass or tipped pass and lose possession. For some unknown reason this team was not prepared to play today. Just have to erase this game from my head and hope they can get their collective heads screwed on straight before the next game. At this point I would prefer to see Dolezaj at center, Battle & Hughes at forward and Frank with Carey at the guards. Let Chewy and OB sit a bit and figure out how they could help us get better. If needed, move Sidibie to center and Dolezaj to forward to put Frank or Carey on the bench if they are not performing. Next person off bench...Braswell. At least he can jump.
And how many rebounds would SU get with a front line of Dolezaj, Battle and Hughes? Dolezaj is a stopgap at center and gets pushed around by anyone with size. Hughes is not a rebounder. Neither is Battle.

This was supposed to be a team that was at the top of the acc possible elite 8 team. Another bubble year is not acceptable.

Well that may prove to have been an unrealistic expectation. I believe there is still room for improvement, but we are digging ourselves a hole as we head towards what will be a very difficult conference schedule.

Well that may prove to have been an unrealistic expectation. I believe there is still room for improvement, but we are digging ourselves a hole as we head towards what will be a very difficult conference schedule.
A huge hole we have 2 bad losses a one good win. Buff is a must win.

I don't want him as the next head coach but how is he specifically not getting the job done?

Yeah that’s ridiculous. As if a fan can look at an assistant coach and know how to parcel off what that coaches portion of responsibility should be for the overall product.

Oh dear god. Here we go again with the “but 5% of our games, you know, the ones that truly matter and should cloud the other 95% as irrelevant, we did really well!” Argument.
That isn't an argument. That is a fact.

JB disagrees with you.

"We have to be a lot better than we were last year,'' Boeheim said. "The (NCAA) tournament doesn't really matter. That's just an isolated instance. We played good for a week. We didn't play good for the whole year last year.''

This isn't the Bible. You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in... : )

Then I'd guess we should hope and pray we make it to the point where we get to those games at the end of the season.

And as alsacs always talks about, I sure hope those folks who actually pay for season tickets don't mind wasting their money on these early games.

Then I'd guess we should hope and pray we make it to the point where we get to those games at the end of the season.

And as alsacs always talks about, I sure hope those folks who actually pay for season tickets don't mind wasting their money on these early games.
And that the kids we need to recruit to continue our so-called eliteness aren't watching the product during the regular season.

Games that are won in March don’t erase games that are lost in November, unless a game is also won on the first Monday night in April

Last edited:
Lack of effort is as much on yhe coaches as players. Players just like throwing up 3 pointers. To hard to drive lane for these players today.
The play that really stood out for me to llustrate this problem was near the end of the game Tyus had the ball at the three point line and was triple teamed, no one cut to the basket. two players had to be unguarded yet neither made himself available with a cut. When you do not do these simple things you can not win.

Games that are won in March don’t erase games that are lost in November, unless a game in won on the first Monday night in April

And even then, teams who win national titles on miracle runs usually don't sustain that success the following season. It's often just temporary lipstick on a pig.

NC State missed the tourney in 1984 after winning it all in 1983.
Nova lost 14 games in 1986 after winning it all in 1985.
Kansas missed the tourney in 1989 after winning it all in 1988.
UConn missed the tourney 2015 after winning it all in 2014.

And how many rebounds would SU get with a front line of Dolezaj, Battle and Hughes? Dolezaj is a stopgap at center and gets pushed around by anyone with size. Hughes is not a rebounder. Neither is Battle.
He might be a stop gap our other options are non competitive.

JB disagrees with you.

"We have to be a lot better than we were last year,'' Boeheim said. "The (NCAA) tournament doesn't really matter. That's just an isolated instance. We played good for a week. We didn't play good for the whole year last year.''

This isn't the Bible. You can't just pick and choose what you want to believe in... : )
huh? It is a fact that we went to two final fours and a sweet 16.

Dash, come on, everyone is proud of those accomplishments. The point is that we were seduced by those fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants seasons into thinking everything in our program is fine. And it's not -- we are in a 5 year stretch of mediocrity.

Our 2011 team is better than team from 2015-2018.
That 2011 team lost second round in the tournament.
We made the Final Four in 2016 and Sweet 16 last year but those teams would get housed by 2011.

2010 went as far as 2018 but 2010 was a NC contender if AO doesn’t go down.

This whole program just has a stale feel to it. No energy. No excitement. Just boring brand of basketball. Pretty depressing.

Same as last year when we won 3 tournament games.

Get it back Monday.

Same as last year when we won 3 tournament games.

Get it back Monday.

It’s Tuesday, and it’ll take more than a win against Buffalo to turn it around.

You redefined HakAttack's statement. The JB quote supports HakAttack's statement. No one said your statement isn't fact. You're just insisting your "fact" is a more valid/the only valid perspective. It isn't.

Production from the centers is laughable.

We cannot shoot, yet often settle for jumpers.

The buffalo game is a HUGE game. Lose that one and we are in big trouble
We are already in big trouble. Waters of Syracuse.com had a stat a couple of weeks ago that most years with 3 nonconference losses meant the NIT. A Buffalo loss probably seals the deal.

You redefined HakAttack's statement. The JB quote supports HakAttack's statement. No one said your statement isn't fact. You're just insisting your "fact" is a more valid/the only valid perspective. It isn't.
I'm not insisting anything. I am simply stating as fact that we have gone to two final fours in 6 years.

Bottom line is, other than Battle, we have a bunch of players who are sporadic in their play at best...no consistency. Brissett is not playing like a NBA draft pick, Frank is not even close to being full speed and even then I have always questioned him, MD does not get the ball enough on offense in my opinion and our centers are downright pathetic. This is a mediocre team, nothing more until they get their heads out of their collective asses and play with passion and heart. They need to stop standing around.

I'm not insisting anything. I am simply stating as fact that we have gone to two final fours in 6 years.

One of those two was sheer luck. But hey, a wins a win...if I’m mistaken we got blown out in the semis too. That team rode a once in a lifetime performance...

JB disagrees with you.

Jb has also said the ncaat is all that matters so hes all over the place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom