UNH post game | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

Lot's of Mintz criticism after just one game. Sure, he has areas that need improving, but this kid is a dynamic scorer and should be appreciated. His ability to get in the lane and draw fouls is a huge asset for the team - especially at the end of games when we need a bucket. That ability alone will win us games this year.

He shot a poor percentage from the floor yesterday but he took tough shots that drew fouls. He will also finish a higher percentage of those over the course of the season as evidenced by last years performance.

Even that being said, you can't just discount his FTs. Those are points. He had to earn them by getting to the line and converting. Those count too.

The rest of the team avg 1.21 per shot yesterday. Yes, he shot .333 and .250 but he had 20 points on 15 shots or 1.33 points per shot. That is very solid. For comparison sake Isiah Wong has a career .440 and .347 3pt and avg 1.296 per shot. Hunter Cattoor shot .430 and .424 3pt and avg 1.33 pps last year. His shot attempts consistently return points.

It’s not after one game, it’s the hero ball crap he played last year.
Same crap as last year that had him top 5 in assists per game in the ACC as a freshman? Maybe if the shooters could knock down a few shots he would have looked to kick more yesterday. Instead he converted 15 shots into 20 points. Solid. I'll take it. I for one am thrilled he is back and he brings a ton of positives to this team.

truth to what you're saying...

but the really good teams score 100+ and win by 40 or 50 in these types of games...

the teams that win these closely...well...theyre rarely ever excellent in the end

still possible, just less likely
Agree with this in general. However, even great teams have a few clunkers shooting each year and especially early in the season. The one kid on UNH keep the game close and we tinkered with the lineup. Remember, we were down Williams, Hima, Westry, and Brown, McCloud and Starling dinged up, Mintz in foul trouble.

Agree with this in general. However, even great teams have a few clunkers shooting each year and especially early in the season. The one kid on UNH keep the game close and we tinkered with the lineup. Remember, we were down Williams, Hima, Westry, and Brown, McCloud and Starling dinged up, Mintz in foul trouble.
If we are healthy think we can throw waves of fresh players at teams and not tire in the second half

Ok, whoever compared Cuffe to Stevie Thompson and I was skeptical….I can see it now.

Not saying he’ll ever be nearly that productive. But in terms of being like 6’2 but playing like he’s 6’7. Seems more comfortable as a wing than as a ballhandler, shot looks decent, and man does he get up! I couldn’t believe some of those rebounds were him. That tip dunk attempt was nuts, would’ve been an all time great dunk and it was really close to happening.

Love seeing some elite athleticism in Orange again. I think he’s going to help us.
He rebounds incredibly well for a guy I suspect is 5’11.5”

Same crap as last year that had him top 5 in assists per game in the ACC as a freshman? Maybe if the shooters could knock down a few shots he would have looked to kick more yesterday. Instead he converted 15 shots into 20 points. Solid. I'll take it. I for one am thrilled he is back and he brings a ton of positives to this team.
Lol. Maybe you should date him.

It was fun seeing all the activity aside from the late first/early second half lull.

We are long and athletic but not very physical, especially down low. We allowed NH to get into the paint way too often and when they got there they had success either getting points or piling up fouls. Don't know how reasonable it is to expect McLeod to improve on that front so it might be something we'll just have to live with, but obviously I hope not.

For Cuffe to make the impact he had was very encouraging and a bit of a surprise. This is a crowded backcourt so PT will have to be earned and I thought he made a great case for himself. Excited to see him build on it tomorrow.

What’s strange is pretending he had a great game when in all reality he was awful against a trash team.
No. Your response is bullshit. I was simply engaging in real discussion by offering my viewpoints. Those clearly vary from yours and that’s fine. I brought facts to the discussion, and you brought bullshit though.

Edit: Also, nowhere did I say he had a great game. He definitely has things to improve on.

Last edited:
If Westry comes back and is as good as people think then he probably assumes a lot of Copeland’s minutes.
I don't think so. Kid is a net positive plus great energy. As good a rebounder as Brown and better than Bell.

No. Your response is bullshit. I was simply engaging in real discussion by offering my viewpoints. Those clearly vary from yours and that’s fine. I brought facts to the discussion, and you brought bullshit though.
How is it possible to have a real discussion if you think he was great when he went 5-15 shooting just because he hit a bunch of free throws and made an incredibly stupid foul when he had 3 and yet again, against that opponent. If you think he was great I can’t imagine the drool when he has a good game.

safe to say ...red is still mixing this cocktail. experimenting with a dash of this a dunk of that. still early.

How is it possible to have a real discussion if you think he was great when he went 5-15 shooting just because he hit a bunch of free throws and made an incredibly stupid foul when he had 3 and yet again, against that opponent. If you think he was great I can’t imagine the drool when he has a good game.
Since you want to argue that he did not have a great game and that I’m stupid for saying it was a great game…just go quote where I said he had a great game for me...please.

I’ll wait.

there will be plenty of games like last year where those 5-7 fouls dont get called and he goes 5-20 with no Fts. He got calls but much of that was he drew the fouls more than he really got fouled. Not every ref is gonna call that stuff.

SU Team FG Minus Judah SU Team FG Minus JJ SUFG w/o starting backcourt
28-67 (42%) - Judah (5-15) = SU FG23-52 (44%) - JJ (3-13) = SU FG 20-39( 51% )

SU Team 3PT FG Minus Judah SU 3 PT FG Minus JJ SU 3 PT FG w/o starting backcourt
5-21(24%) - Judah (1-4) = SU 3PT FG (24%) - JJ (0-4) = SU 3PT FG 4-13 = SU Team 3PT FG (31%)

Seems as if a true PG should have got the ball to the other guys not named JJ. (If you remove Bell, the rest of the team was 3-8 from 3, or 38%). All percentages rounded to nearest whole number.

A guy is going to miss shots, but Judah had stretches where he never even looked to get others involved.

Since you want to argue that he did not have a great game and that I’m stupid for saying it was a great game…just go quote where I said he had a great game for me...please.

I’ll wait.
To exude as much energy into your post as you did it was a safe assumption how you felt about his game.

He plays like that throughout the year against even an average team we’ll get boat raced.

SU Team FG Minus Judah SU Team FG Minus JJ SUFG w/o starting backcourt
28-67 (42%) - Judah (5-15) = SU FG23-52 (44%) - JJ (3-13) = SU FG 20-39( 51% )

SU Team 3PT FG Minus Judah SU 3 PT FG Minus JJ SU 3 PT FG w/o starting backcourt
5-21(24%) - Judah (1-4) = SU 3PT FG (24%) - JJ (0-4) = SU 3PT FG 4-13 = SU Team 3PT FG (31%)

Seems as if a true PG should have got the ball to the other guys not named JJ. (If you remove Bell, the rest of the team was 3-8 from 3, or 38%). All percentages rounded to nearest whole number.

A guy is going to miss shots, but Judah had stretches where he never even looked to get others involved.
I think Judah will get better. But only if Red lays down the law with him. His job is to be a point guard and get others involved, not just score, as Devo said on the broadcast. That’s exactly what JB would be saying in a press conference and to Judah directly after the game. I hope Red is focused on not simply inflating his ego and pumping him up, but critiquing his PG play last night and getting him to focus on driving into the lane and finding guys to kick it out to or pass to. I would like to see more instruction and teaching out there, and I hope that comes with time. Judah can’t only be looking to score. A staff of former PGs should and hopefully will be able to teach Judah how to play the position.

It's probably been mentioned, but I haven't been able to read the whole thread. But, the thing I can't stand is when we play 5 out and then somebody chucks a three pointer. It's maddening. Zero chance of a rebound against a team that we should be living on the offensive boards. If we're going to go 5 out, it should be for a dribble drive, and then the rest of the guys should know when to cut to the basket for a possible drive and dish or a rebound. Otherwise, we need to be moving the ball around, pass to the key and then have cutters...you know...a half court offense.
Completely agree. I think what’s frustrating is that a lot of this is not talent related but coaching related.

So you are gonna be that guy. The one who disapproves of Red from day 1 eh?
If you think 5 out and chucking 3s is not coaching related that’s your opinion. Majority here see a lot of concerns. This isn’t binary and nobody is writing him off - it’s fair game to evaluate what we have seen after 3 games. Remember red does not have any head coaching resume so first impressions are going to carry a lot of weight here.

Last night plus the two exhibitions gave us a lot to be concerned about; the rebounding, several guys with point guard skills not really distributing the ball, outside shooting, etc.

Then I got to thinking...have we EVER had a team this young? If my memory is correct, we started a junior and 4 sophs. We played four subs...all sophs. So that is 1 junior and 8 sophs. Toss in the new system, the lack of familiarity with each other, and just the general youth, and this team is going to take some time. It may or may not even get there this year, but they could be special by season's end. TBD but I'm not going to conclude anything this early.

If you think 5 out and chucking 3s is not coaching related that’s your opinion. Majority here see a lot of concerns. This isn’t binary and nobody is writing him off - it’s fair game to evaluate what we have seen after 3 games. Remember red does not have any head coaching resume so first impressions are going to carry a lot of weight here.

Lol all you see is concerns. That has been clear and that is the point. Then you make it clear that Red has to accept the scrutiny because of what is happening with Dino... Everyone is learning, Red included. Red has no accountability for what is happening on the football side nor should he.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom