UNH post game | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UNH post game

Last night plus the two exhibitions gave us a lot to be concerned about; the rebounding, several guys with point guard skills not really distributing the ball, outside shooting, etc.

Then I got to thinking...have we EVER had a team this young? If my memory is correct, we started a junior and 4 sophs. We played four subs...all sophs. So that is 1 junior and 8 sophs. Toss in the new system, the lack of familiarity with each other, and just the general youth, and this team is going to take some time. It may or may not even get there this year, but they could be special by season's end. TBD but I'm not going to conclude anything this early.
That was a concern that I had, too, going into the season. Besides Benny, who isn’t all that mature, most of these guys are sophomores, as you said, and we’re all role players last season. It’s a very young team. It’s really too bad Jesse or Joe didn’t come back. We could have used an experienced guy to lead the way.

I think Judah will get better. But only if Red lays down the law with him. His job is to be a point guard and get others involved, not just score, as Devo said on the broadcast. That’s exactly what JB would be saying in a press conference and to Judah directly after the game. I hope Red is focused on not simply inflating his ego and pumping him up, but critiquing his PG play last night and getting him to focus on driving into the lane and finding guys to kick it out to or pass to. I would like to see more instruction and teaching out there, and I hope that comes with time. Judah can’t only be looking to score. A staff of former PGs should and hopefully will be able to teach Judah how to play the position.
I was encouraged by Red’s post game comments that “the ball got stuck”. That was a great way of calling out Judah without publicly denigrating the player. A refreshingly adult (not to mention more modern and culturally acceptable) approach. If that continues, I expect parents, HS, and AAU coaches to notice.

That was a concern that I had, too, going into the season. Besides Benny, who isn’t all that mature, most of these guys are sophomores, as you said, and we’re all role players last season. It’s a very young team. It’s really too bad Jesse or Joe didn’t come back. We could have used an experienced guy to lead the way.
The two backcourt stars have over 30 games of experience. They should not be considered as young or inexperienced. JJ shot poorly. That happens. Judah also shot poorly, but he was selfish, and that can’t be allowed to happen. (Now, there will be times that he will need to be a little selfish, such as late in close games when he has a guy he can beat and we need buckets. But on Monday he just outright ignored teammates or any semblance of running an offense. )

Lot's of Mintz criticism after just one game. Sure, he has areas that need improving, but this kid is a dynamic scorer and should be appreciated. His ability to get in the lane and draw fouls is a huge asset for the team - especially at the end of games when we need a bucket. That ability alone will win us games this year.

He shot a poor percentage from the floor yesterday but he took tough shots that drew fouls. He will also finish a higher percentage of those over the course of the season as evidenced by last years performance.

Even that being said, you can't just discount his FTs. Those are points. He had to earn them by getting to the line and converting. Those count too.

The rest of the team avg 1.21 per shot yesterday. Yes, he shot .333 and .250 but he had 20 points on 15 shots or 1.33 points per shot. That is very solid. For comparison sake Isiah Wong has a career .440 and .347 3pt and avg 1.296 per shot. Hunter Cattoor shot .430 and .424 3pt and avg 1.33 pps last year. His shot attempts consistently return points.
Judah will be a huge asset to the team when he shows he can get others involved before thinking about himself. Right now, he seems a little puffed up about his PR and doesn't recognize that alone will make him the player he can be.

As for his drives to the basket, he is capable of doing it well, but if he tries that too many times against some of the bigger teams, he's going to get knocked on his butt hard enough that he won't be getting up with a smile.

Great potential, but he needs to show it not advertise it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom