US Men's Team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

US Men's Team

Thank you. Sick of seeing the "YEAH! but it was their b team". What? You rather we lose?
Obviously not. But for people who didn't see the game and then read that the US beat Germany, it has to be mentioned. They played without Neuer, Schmelzer, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Gundoghan, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Ozil, Reus, Gotze, Muller, or Kroos. Those are 13 of the top 50 or so players in the world, IMO.

Obviously not. But for people who didn't see the game and then read that the US beat Germany, it has to be mentioned. They played without Neuer, Schmelzer, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Gundoghan, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Ozil, Reus, Gotze, Muller, or Kroos. Those are 13 of the top 50 or so players in the world, IMO.

Right, but do you get more effort in a friendly from Schweinsteiger or Hans und Frans that are desperately trying to secure a spot in the regular roster? That needs to be mentioned too imo.

Right, but do you get more effort in a friendly from Schweinsteiger or Hans und Frans that are desperately trying to secure a spot in the regular roster? That needs to be mentioned too imo.

This is true - also to note that there is no question that guys like Draxler and Kruse are simply the next round of Schweinsteiger, Mueller and Gomez's.

I am happy with the result. That German team we just beat is better than almost all the squads we have in the qualifiers in my opinion. I hope we continue with the momentum we have going into friday. Does anyone know if Donovan is done?

And back to the original topic, I highly, highly recommend going to a USMNT game in person if you have the opportunity. I went to the friendly against Spain two summers ago and it was awesome. I had really "good" seats but would have tried to sit on the end line with Sam's Army and the Outlaws if I had a chance to do it over again. I was surrounded by vacationing Spaniards. Don't get me wrong, they all seemed like great folks and I had some interesting conversations with them, but the other section looked a lot more fun.

I am happy with the result. That German team we just beat is better than almost all the squads we have in the qualifiers in my opinion. I hope we continue with the momentum we have going into friday. Does anyone know if Donovan is done?

He's on the Gold Cup roster

Does anyone know if Donovan is done?
Still up in the air, as far as I know. Jurgen said the door is open for him. My feeling is that he'll be back at some point.

Edit: As you can see, Poppy is more in the know than I am. :-p

Do we need Donovan? It seems to me Zusi is a very similar player with a great touch on set plays - just saying...

So are all these US qualifiers on that BeIn sports channel that I don't get? too lazy to look it up on the channel guide..

So are all these US qualifiers on that BeIn sports channel that I don't get? too lazy to look it up on the channel guide..
The WCQs in the US and the one in Mexico will be on ESPN. The others will be on BeIn.

At the end of the day we have one real star ( Dempsey) who is in great form, a target striker with all the ability in the world who might have finally just broken the ice in international play and some good middies in Bradley/Jones. Add that to having talent on both wings and a good Donovan replacement in Zusi - and I am excited. Would love to see Altidore light up the rest of the qualifiers and put the world on notice.

Zusi looks promising, but he plays no defense. Even in a friendly, you still have to track back and try to help your teammates win back the ball.

Do we need Donovan? It seems to me Zusi is a very similar player with a great touch on set plays - just saying...

Zusi looks pretty good but I would rather someone that we know has experience and will put it in the back of the net. I'm not sure Zusi fits either of those at this time.

Fair enough - I haven't watched enough MLS to get a good feel - just like his playmaking ability for the national team. As for defense- definitely agree there. I have always felt Landon slacked on D a little too... As for experience - can't disagree there. Its hard to forget Donovan's key play in 2010 with the big one over Algeria. Literally there were 40 of us at work stuffed into a tiny pantry watching that on a 26 inch tv...

Perhaps my favorite Donovan goal. This is the 90' against Mexico and check out the wheels he's still got.
That's awesome, but nothing tops that goal vs. Algeria.
<chills>
</chills>

For sheer excitement, this takes the cake. But he was really just in the right place at the right time.

<chills>
</chills>

Here's the deal with Donovan: Nobody in the player pool has his combo of speed and playmaking ability. I see him starting in the midfield next summer at the World Cup. The defense is the problem. JK is forcing Omar Gonzalez to be his first-choice CB. However, if Geoff Cameron can start games at CB instead of RB at Stoke next season I think he starts.

My WC starting XI in 2014.

----------------Altidore-------------
F. Johnson---Dempsey--Donovan
----------Jones---Bradley------
Beasley---Besler---Cameron--Chandler
--------------Howard-------

Here's the deal with Donovan: Nobody in the player pool has his combo of speed and playmaking ability. I see him starting in the midfield next summer at the World Cup. The defense is the problem. JK is forcing Omar Gonzalez to be his first-choice CB. However, if Geoff Cameron can start games at CB instead of RB at Stoke next season I think he starts.

My WC starting XI in 2014.

----------------Altidore-------------
F. Johnson---Dempsey--Donovan
----------Jones---Bradley------
Beasley---Besler---Cameron--Chandler
--------------Howard-------
Let's just focus on getting there first

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

For sheer excitement, this takes the cake. But he was really just in the right place at the right time.
Great players have a habit of being in the right place at the right time.

<chills>
</chills>

That is still my #1 sports moment of all time and one the key illustrations of why soccer is so exciting. From elimination in the group stage to group winner all inside stoppage time. I remember thinking at the 87th minute that we were done, headed home and being really bummed out about it. From despair to ecstasy in 3 minutes.

The other all-time great soccer moments for me are Man Utd's stoppage time comeback against Bayern Munich in the Champions League, Liverpool's miracle in Istanbul, and the last 5 minutes of the EPL 2 seasons ago. All of those show just why I love soccer so much even though none of them are my team.

That is still my #1 sports moment of all time and one the key illustrations of why soccer is so exciting. From elimination in the group stage to group winner all inside stoppage time. I remember thinking at the 87th minute that we were done, headed home and being really bummed out about it. From despair to ecstasy in 3 minutes.

The other all-time great soccer moments for me are Man Utd's stoppage time comeback against Bayern Munich in the Champions League, Liverpool's miracle in Istanbul, and the last 5 minutes of the EPL 2 seasons ago. All of those show just why I love soccer so much even though none of them are my team.

The Algeria goal in one large media tuned the nation into soccer for a week or two. Those kind of moments make a difference in a young kids life who looks a soccer from something of a fun fall/spring activity to something that could mean a lot more. Unfortunately there is still only a smaller part of the growing soccer fanbase who understand the meaning behind beating Mexico on their turf.. or beating them at all. The Germany win is great as well - as that is a name synonymous with soccer. Maybe still not as much as Brazil , Spain etc but any goal/win that brings attention to the sport in a positive way in this country is great.

I think the NBC EPL contract will be great to bring more attention to it as well.

So, we have a HUGE game tonight on ESPN. Facing off against unbeaten Panama. Big, big game. We win this, and I think we're pretty much guaranteed a World Cup spot. Granted, we are pretty close to locking up a spot after that dramatic Jamaica win, but a win tonight would just about seal things up for us.

HUGE game.

I wish Klinsmann didn't hate Donovan so much and put him on the freaking roster. We need not just his skill but his leadership.

So, we have a HUGE game tonight on ESPN. Facing off against unbeaten Panama. Big, big game. We win this, and I think we're pretty much guaranteed a World Cup spot. Granted, we are pretty close to locking up a spot after that dramatic Jamaica win, but a win tonight would just about seal things up for us.

HUGE game.

I wish Klinsmann didn't hate Donovan so much and put him on the freaking roster. We need not just his skill but his leadership.

I agree on the Donovan point but I understand why JK made the decision. Donovan essentially quit soccer for a few months. He is the best American of all-time but even he needs to earn his roster spot back. Klinsmann did this with Jozy Altidore last year. Donovan will be back for the Sept. and Oct. qualifiers. I bet he's gearing up for one more run. I believe the front 6 of Jones, Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Dempsey, Donovan, and Altidore is high quality.

I agree on the Donovan point but I understand why JK made the decision. Donovan essentially quit soccer for a few months. He is the best American of all-time but even he needs to earn his roster spot back. Klinsmann did this with Jozy Altidore last year. Donovan will be back for the Sept. and Oct. qualifiers. I bet he's gearing up for one more run. I believe the front 6 of Jones, Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Dempsey, Donovan, and Altidore is high quality.

See I disagree. If there's ever been an American soccer player who doesn't need to earn his spot on the roster, it's Landon Donovan. He's the best we've ever had (followed closely, I think, by Dempsey). Either way, I just don't think he should ever have to work his way back into the lineup. There should ALWAYS be a spot open for him (at least, until he gets to be like 34 or 35).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom