USA Today Coaches Poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

USA Today Coaches Poll

Not sure what that means, but Kansas has NBA talent, which is why they are ranked so high. I'm sure Selden is a much better player than Ron Patterson is.
Not sure what you mean. I gave you substance.

Kansas has Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden back, bring in two freshmen studs in Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander, and a a highly ranked point guard in Devonte Graham. They bring back Jamari Traylor, who could be real good and Frankcamp, an excellent shooter. Lot of NBA talent there.

But they are KANSAS. They play in a terrible conference, are guaranteed 25 wins a year, and underachieve in the tournament. I get it that they have some dynamite recruits, but what really has Bill Self (or Roy Williams) ever done with that talent? Yeah Self won a title, but otherwise, eh. I'd put Louisville ahead of KU just on the Pitino factor alone. It seems like coaches and pollsters are predetermined to kiss KU's butt on a yearly basis. Polls are polls, I guess. They are pretty much meaningless.

Not sure what you mean. I gave you substance.

What substance? Ron Patterson barely plays for us. Wayne Selden is likely an NBA player after this season. A video clip of 1 play from high school 2 years ago doesn't change that.

Last edited:
But they are KANSAS. They play in a terrible conference, are guaranteed 25 wins a year, and underachieve in the tournament. I get it that they have some dynamite recruits, but what really has Bill Self (or Roy Williams) ever done with that talent? Yeah Self won a title, but otherwise, eh. I'd put Louisville ahead of KU just on the Pitino factor alone. It seems like coaches and pollsters are predetermined to kiss KU's butt on a yearly basis. Polls are polls, I guess. They are pretty much meaningless.

Kansas is good every year. Self had his team playing for a national championship 3 years ago against Kentucky, and won it all in 2008. They may play in a weaker conference, but they win it every season. They also play a very tough non-conference schedule most of the time. Hard to blame them for underachieving last season, with Embiid out. Like death and taxes, Self is going to have a Top 10 team.

Roy Williams won 2 championships with that talent at UNC.

Last edited:
Christ, they just won the national title… give them some credit.
plenty of credit for winning a title. do you realize who they've lost from that team?

Kansas is good every year. Self had his team playing for a national championship 3 years ago against Kentucky, and won it all in 2008. They may play in a weaker conference, but they win it every season. They also play a very tough non-conference schedule most of the time. Hard to blame them for underachieving last season, with Embiid out. Like death and taxes, Self is going to have a Top 10 team.

Roy Williams won 2 championships with that talent at UNC.

But he won squat with the talent at KU. I'm convinced that the reason UK, KU, Duke and UNC are there each and every year boils down to one simple word: boosters. Maybe not so much with Duke, but UK and KU have Midnight Madness events that rival a Hollywood special effects show. Who pays for that? Boosters. I would bet they shell out $500,000 to a mil at UK for that event. SU puts up about 10% of that.

Kansas has Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden back, bring in two freshmen studs in Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander, and a a highly ranked point guard in Devonte Graham. They bring back Jamari Traylor, who could be real good and Frankcamp, an excellent shooter. Lot of NBA talent there.

I agree with Alpharetta. I'd be surprised if KU wasn't pretty strong this year. I live in Kansas and despite my best efforts, have developed a grudging respect for their program. Allen Fieldhouse is a fantastic environment. Sure, they have crapped the bed a few seasons under Self in the NCAAs but still have a championship, a runner up, 3 Elite Eights and 2 Sweet 16s. I looked it up on Wikipedia - I don't follow their program THAT closely to know that off the top of my head. I have a lot of friends that are KU fans and their fanbase isn't too obnoxious - not like the SEC when I lived in Georgia. Or maybe I'm just better at avoiding obnoxious people since I moved to Kansas :)

But he won squat with the talent at KU. I'm convinced that the reason UK, KU, Duke and UNC are there each and every year boils down to one simple word: boosters. Maybe not so much with Duke, but UK and KU have Midnight Madness events that rival a Hollywood special effects show. Who pays for that? Boosters. I would bet they shell out $500,000 to a mil at UK for that event. SU puts up about 10% of that.

They still win. Kansas and Kentucky played each other for the 2012 title. Roy Williams plays in at least 2 finals games in Kansas. Kentucky has played in a couple championship games in the last few years. If spending more money on Midnight Madness is the difference, we should spend more on it. Those teams win because they have the best players and coaches.

I don't understand the UNC ranking at all. They could prove me wrong, I know they have Paige, johnson, and tokoto back, Meeks has lost weight etc...added Pinson and Jackson, but a team that couldn't shoot a lick last year and added no shooting is going to be better why?

Was thinking the same thing

They still win. Kansas and Kentucky played each other for the 2012 title. Roy Williams plays in at least 2 finals games in Kansas. Kentucky has played in a couple championship games in the last few years. If spending more money on Midnight Madness is the difference, we should spend more on it. Those teams win because they have the best players and coaches.

Hard to argue with that logic. If midnight madness truly is the difference(which Im not saying it is), what makes our boosters less generous?

Agreed. Anyone saying UNC is too high doesnt really pay attention to the types of teams that do well in a roy williams system. ..mainly that this team will be able to fly up and down the court and when his teams can do that well they are extremely tough to beat. athletes everywhere.

But can they shoot the ball? Major Questions at center as well

But can they shoot the ball? Major Questions at center as well

Well their 3 recruits were all top 15 guys and all three play the guard position so shooting should get better, it may take until jan but I think it will happen. I wouldnt say "major" questions at center considering Meeks was really starting to come into his own at the end of last year and has dropped a lot of weight in the offseason and should be a very solid player this year. Add Brice johnson a projected first rounder and isaih hicks able to move back to his original position( mcd all amer who was forced to play the 3 last year due to suspensions) and I think the low post should be fine. I agree these are the question marks however theres plenty of firepower coming in that these shouldnt be issues come conference time. Also, the only team ranked ahead of unc who doesnt have major question marks is wisconsin and perhaps kentucky. Duke imo has more questions to answer than unc does.

When is the last time UNC was ranked higher in the final AP or coaches poll than they were in the preseason? Seems like it has been quite awhile. Not saying they're not very talented or unworthy of their ranking, but that probably has a lot to do with the skepticism.

When is the last time UNC was ranked higher in the final AP or coaches poll than they were in the preseason? Seems like it has been quite awhile. Not saying they're not very talented or unworthy of their ranking, but that probably has a lot to do with the skepticism.

2005 and 2009.. lol when youre ranked in the top 5 consistently in the preseason it pretty much takes a final four run to be ranked higher than you were soooo... ya, theres that. for instance in 2012 they were preseason number one.. ended up in the elite 8 after the kendall marshal/john henson injures, otherwise.. they were on their way. I respect the skepticism, just saying as a long time unc fan this year the weapons are there, especially with the way unc likes to play. like most roy teams they may not jell until jan/feb but when they do I feel their ranking will be more than justified.

Well, Duke is ranked in the top 5, and has been bounced by Mercer and Lehigh in the first round of the NCAAT for two of the past three years, so if any ACC ranking should be questioned...

True, but in the last 20 years, Kansas has reached the NCAA final round three times. We have reached it twice. They have earned respect nationally.

I think 24th is a show of respect considering what we lost from last years team. There are a lot of questions about this team going into this year and to be in the top 25 to start is ok with me.

Agreed. No problem with it. I could care less about these polls and where these teams are now. No problem with Kansas, UNC, etc rankings. They have some serious studs coming in and naturally will get some boosted hype. A top 25 matchup early with Iowa/Texas, then Michigan will be a very good measuring stick.

2005 and 2009.. lol when youre ranked in the top 5 consistently in the preseason it pretty much takes a final four run to be ranked higher than you were soooo... ya, theres that. for instance in 2012 they were preseason number one.. ended up in the elite 8 after the kendall marshal/john henson injures, otherwise.. they were on their way. I respect the skepticism, just saying as a long time unc fan this year the weapons are there, especially with the way unc likes to play. like most roy teams they may not jell until jan/feb but when they do I feel their ranking will be more than justified.

#6 is way too high a ranking considering...
It remains to be seen how good you’re going to be in the paint on both ends.
Well documented FT shooting problems
It remains to be seen how much, if any, better you will shoot from 3
Lot of potential your team, but not deserving of #6 preseason,
The same can be said about our team this year, just honestly think we are better Team and that is not a slight.
Lot of potential on your team, but not deserving of #6 preseason

#6 is way too high a ranking considering...
It remains to be seen how good you’re going to be in the paint on both ends.
Well documented FT shooting problems
It remains to be seen how much, if any, better you will shoot from 3
Lot of potential your team, but not deserving of #6 preseason,
The same can be said about our team this year, just honestly think we are better Team and that is not a slight.
Lot of potential on your team, but not deserving of #6 preseason

ok, well lets assume your totally right about what your asserting. Who in the top ten would you put ahead of UNC? LOL louisville lost their best player, virginia lost their two best players..my point is as I go down the list of teams behind UNC Im not seeing anyone that jumps out where its like "oh wow UNC is way overrated".. So while UNC may have some question marks..so does pretty much else in the top ten and UNC has plenty of talent coming in and just as much experience as anyone else. Please tell me who these teams are that are so good that makes UNCs rating such a travesty. Ill wait.

ok, well lets assume your totally right about what your asserting. Who in the top ten would you put ahead of UNC? LOL louisville lost their best player, virginia lost their two best players..my point is as I go down the list of teams behind UNC Im not seeing anyone that jumps out where its like "oh wow UNC is way overrated".. So while UNC may have some question marks..so does pretty much else in the top ten and UNC has plenty of talent coming in and just as much experience as anyone else. Please tell me who these teams are that are so good that makes UNCs rating such a travesty. Ill wait.

UNC's Record: 24-10- last year
Final AP ranking of 19
Finishing 4th in the ACC
You lose your best post player, and shooter. We also ran you guys out of the gym...
We should be ranked higher than UNC...

UNC's Record: 24-10- last year
Final AP ranking of 19
Finishing 4th in the ACC
You lose your best post player, and shooter. We also ran you guys out of the gym...
We should be ranked higher than UNC...

UNC brings in a top 5 recruiting class this year, a stud in Marcus Paige, and two studs in JP Tokoto and Meeks. And, unlike some teams in the top 5, we didn't get bounced in the first round of the NCAA Tourney two of the last three years. I'd rank UNC above Duke at this point.

UNC brings in a top 5 recruiting class this year, a stud in Marcus Paige, and two studs in JP Tokoto and Meeks. And, unlike some teams in the top 5, we didn't get bounced in the first round of the NCAA Tourney two of the last three years. I'd rank UNC above Duke at this point.

Marcus Paige I can agree with but JP Tokoto? Britt might the second best player on that team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom